STRIPED PAINT OFF WHEEL

05BUSABLU

Donating Member
Registered
GOT STARTED ON STRIPPING THE OUTTERS, STILL HAVE LOTS TO DO. THE INNERS WILL BE PAINTED TO MATCH WHEN I GET THE BUSA PAINTED.

JUST THOUGHT I MIGHT SEE WHAT YOU THINK

100_1238.jpg

I was gonna say clear coat it until you get the rest painted... Then I saw you are in AZ... No sea salt issues there. I cannot leave aluminum unpainted around me. I am less than a mile from the Pacifica and ride within feet of it almost every time I go out.

super.gif
You've done well Blu, now put some elbow grease into polishing up the lipzz.  Just a little warning to you, the spokes aren't quite so easy to strip. You will have to blast bead them or use a strip wheel to remove the surface coat. Personally I would choose the blast bead for removal.

Ty

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126486134 -->

im going for a 2 tone look. the striper i used took 5 application to get that far, im going to look for some better aircraft striper. then hit it again before i polish them out

I did that with my wheels but I forget what I used to take the paint off the lips. I think the product I used was Talstrip and it worked in two applications. After that, I washed them and then polished with some aluminum polish and they turned out pretty nice.

looks good so far m8! good luck with the rest of it..
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|BusaAdmirer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126544012 -->

pain in the ass, but looks good when done properly.
my fingertips were bleeding by the time I was done!
wow.gif

05BUSABLU
Professional Pilot

Group: Donating Member
Avg posts/day:7.59

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
im going for a 2 tone look. the striper i used took 5 application to get that far, im going to look for some better aircraft striper. then hit it again before i polish them out  

Save yourself some time and money (headache).  Dont try to use store bought chemicals to strip the spokes on the Busa rimes unless you're dipping them in a barrell of strong solution of sulfuric acid similar to the shid  powder coating  companies use for stripping.  Just use the stripping technique I suggested earlier in this post if you decide to strip the spokes.

The paint on the lips of the rims will fall off using a store bought paint stripper remover like you have already done, but it will have no effect on the spoke area. The surface coat on the spokes almost appear to be powdercoated on because I made several passes without putting a dent into the surface using two types of stripping agents.

Heres a photo of my rim I did last fall.

Just my .02

TY

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126554118 -->

DSC01735.JPG

Man, looks great - I give you credit for all your work, it aint a 2 hour job thats for sure. Unfortunately I had a set of PM wheels on one of my cruisers that were polished, and what a pain in the @ss to keep looking good. ALso have to be careful of what chemical get on them as they satin easily. I was thinking of doing the process to Gretchen's shoes but think I would just go Hard Chrome or get me some new Carbon Fiber wheels. I love the look of polished, just hate the headache of keeping them properly clean.

Back