Stock Bikes/age group

37 years old here. The only performance mods on my bike are the braided stainless brake lines. I also have frame sliders, a double bubble windscreen, a hot bodies undertail, GIPro, and HIDs.

I see absolutely NO reason to do anything to the bike to make it faster. I don't ever use all the throttle it has anyway, and im betting that most of us dont and never will.

I'm 31. I haven't done much. Built my own shorty custom exhaust from the stock cans and polished them out. Also 1" risers, custom fender eliminator and flush signals. 2CTs (sans chicken strips) for rubber and good suspension settings just to make sure she feels good on the rare occasion I can make it out to some curves here in Florida (I miss Tennessee sometimes).

I have a hard time justifying the cost of full exhaust, etc, etc for the modest power gains. Eventually a turbo system or a bottle will probably go on there; preferably turbo. Stage 1, conservative tune will be more than enough because I plan to stay stock wheelbase to preserve handling.

Why more, you ask? Because I'm just that kind of personality. I'd rather have more on tap than I'm going to use than less than I'll use.

That and every time I come across a vehicle that is faster then mine I get the urge to change that and I have a buddy with a 1000 whp street-able Camaro that I know I'd lose to, so I'll need to fix that. I'm slightly competitive.

Obligatory photo:
IMG_1520-1.jpg

43 stock except for a couple of slip ons. But if I could afford it, it would have a stage 1 turbo on it right now. :super:

Im fairly new here, and I notice alot of the guys here like to do performance mods on their bikes. I prefer the stock bikes . Considering the factory performance of this bike, seems like wasting money to make it go faster , unless your in Bonneville. I ride on the roads. How many of you guys have bone stock bikes, and whats the age group here
Im 49, Im thinking alot of "older" riders buy these bikes.
thanks in advance.

Doesn't seem to be a correlation between age and # or type of mods. The mods thing seems to be more of a hobby than anything else. Some folks just seem to enjoy working on their bike and making the improvements and customizations as much as riding. I see the same thing in riders of all ages who own classic bikes like my GS550ES. Ride your own ride and build your own bike.

Some folks see a mountain and must climb it simply because it is there while others would just as soon enjoy the view of the mountain from the comfort of their home without ever setting foot near the moutain itself.

PS: My bike is so stock that it looks custom! :laugh:

53 here. Only second year with the Busa, had a Blackbird before. Put the HMF hi-mount full system on, new under tail to eliminate the stock signals and reflectors; Heli bars; plan on more cosmetics later.

Busa with new pipes 002.jpg

Doesn't seem to be a correlation between age and # or type of mods. The mods thing seems to be more of a hobby than anything else. Some folks just seem to enjoy working on their bike and making the improvements and customizations as much as riding. I see the same thing in riders of all ages who own classic bikes like my GS550ES. Ride your own ride and build your own bike.

Some folks see a mountain and must climb it simply because it is there while others would just as soon enjoy the view of the mountain from the comfort of their home without ever setting foot near the moutain itself.

PS: My bike is so stock that it looks custom! :laugh:

I agree, I don't think there is a correlation between the two since I have been customizing and improving the performance of my bikes for the past 42 yrs. Personally, I don't and wouldn't own anything that didn't have my personal touch to it. :beerchug:

I'm 39 and mine is totally stock. Only had it since June, so no money for changes other than a Double Bubble which is coming this week. :thumbsup: The only other mod I would consider, money available, would be the cans. Think in the future I'll be going for Akrapovic slip-ons, purely for cosmetic reasons. :beerchug:

DSC01989.jpg

I see alot of you are going with the dbl bubble windshield. does it make that big a difference?

37 years old here. The only performance mods on my bike are the braided stainless brake lines. I also have frame sliders, a double bubble windscreen, a hot bodies undertail, GIPro, and HIDs.

I see absolutely NO reason to do anything to the bike to make it faster. I don't ever use all the throttle it has anyway, and im betting that most of us dont and never will.

I do... quite a bit actually. I don't know that I ever really have a ride, even a short one (assuming I'm out of town and away from traffic), that the throttle isn't wide open a few times. I don't do it for long, but I do it often. 99.5% (or more) of the time I'm doing the speed limit and obeying all traffic laws, but if I'm going to get on it; it's all the way. I'm sure I'm not THAT much of a minority in that regard, but perhaps I'm wrong...

That's why most of us bought a 150+ whp bike in the first place isn't it? I'm actually quite curious about that now. Sounds like a good poll topic if phrased correctly.

In a couple of responses it sounds almost like it's silly to do mods...and in a couple of others, "mods are unnecessary" is followed by, "this is what I modded" by the same poster!
I believe my mods represent a transformed motorcycle. Chassis, suspension, cleaned up motor, ergonomics, weight, etc.......what the heck is the matter with wanting to improve on one's motorcycle? I could care less what resale values factor out to be, and the much overused comment, "few people can ride the Hayabusa to it's potential anyway" has little to do with the enjoyment, increased safety/performance of a properly modified motorcycle.
I don't think age is as big a factor as 1)how much a gearhead one is 2)how much cash one is able to throw at their sport. The stock Busa is a masterpiece, but it's OK to not stop there, to analyze, test and settle on superior aftermarket parts.

If you think there is an argument here AND you are coming to the STAMPEDE, perhaps you could ride my Hayabusa to more deeply understand the awesome "sleeping capabilities" that are woken up in the amazing Hayabusa vis a vis the aftermarket. BTW, I'm 62.

Raydog

P1020668.JPG

Last edited:
I turned 60 July 1st, and love my 2007 'Bus. Just a few mods (ZG Sport Touring windscreen w/ Sport Touring Laminar Lip, Heli-Bar risers). The windscreen additions make a world of difference when I absolutely, positively have to travel the Interstate. I always plug up when riding (wind noise..a gripe for another thread...perhaps, "My Shoei is so noisy I feel like I'm skydiving without a helmet" or something) so the music of hi performance cans would be wasted on me. Funny...I don't have that problem on my 1982 Honda CM250C..

bike and view.jpg

I'm 59, and my 2000 is stock with the exception of the Heli-Bars, and gel seat. I removed the foot peg feelers, and plant to remove the side reflectors, but I'm so friggin' happy with the bike just the way it is. Stupid fast, stealthy quiet, more grins per mile than my 69 Mustang with a 460 4 speed was. And that's saying something!

Hayabusa 015.jpg

I'm 23, and my bike was slightly modded when I bought it, but I am doing mainly safety upgrades in brakes and HIDs......

I would agree with Raydog, age/experience/desire do not have a predictable impact on how somebody rides or what their mods are. There are some posters here who have turbos and NOS but don't even ride on the street, only at the track. There are some people who wear gear all the time, others who don't.

Personalizing a bike I think is part of the hobby, you make it yours and adjust things to your desire and personality. 90% of mods do not truly effect top end performance, and even those that do are barely ever utilized just as the stock power is barely ever touched.

But many things from the factory are lacking, so if I can improve those with aftermarket then yes I am going to mod it. HIDs increase my visibility both for myself and others, and better braking is a no brainer.

Either way, it is all about responsibly enjoying the ride :beerchug:

I'm 23, and my bike was slightly modded when I bought it, but I am doing mainly safety upgrades in brakes and HIDs......

I would agree with Raydog, age/experience/desire do not have a predictable impact on how somebody rides or what their mods are. There are some posters here who have turbos and NOS but don't even ride on the street, only at the track. There are some people who wear gear all the time, others who don't.

Personalizing a bike I think is part of the hobby, you make it yours and adjust things to your desire and personality. 90% of mods do not truly effect top end performance, and even those that do are barely ever utilized just as the stock power is barely ever touched.

But many things from the factory are lacking, so if I can improve those with aftermarket then yes I am going to mod it. HIDs increase my visibility both for myself and others, and better braking is a no brainer.

Either way, it is all about responsibly enjoying the ride :beerchug:

You are wise beyond your years, young man! Not because you agree with me but because you express yourself in a cogent, mature fashion. Raydog

Im fairly new here, and I notice alot of the guys here like to do performance mods on their bikes. I prefer the stock bikes . Considering the factory performance of this bike, seems like wasting money to make it go faster , unless your in Bonneville. I ride on the roads. How many of you guys have bone stock bikes, and whats the age group here
Im 49, Im thinking alot of "older" riders buy these bikes.
thanks in advance.

I too, don't need performance upgrades as I cannot keep up with this beast now. I have installed Yoshi R-22 bling bolt ons and some 1" bar risers as well as a new kickstand and other small items such as new grips, Puig DB smoke wind screen, etc. Stock works very well for me and I am 46 as of yesterday! :thumbsup:

I turned 60 July 1st, and love my 2007 'Bus. Just a few mods (ZG Sport Touring windscreen w/ Sport Touring Laminar Lip, Heli-Bar risers). The windscreen additions make a world of difference when I absolutely, positively have to travel the Interstate. I always plug up when riding (wind noise..a gripe for another thread...perhaps, "My Shoei is so noisy I feel like I'm skydiving without a helmet" or something) so the music of hi performance cans would be wasted on me. Funny...I don't have that problem on my 1982 Honda CM250C..

:welcome: to the Family. I see you have been here for a while but this is your first post so welcome to the world of posting. Great pic by the way!

Last edited:
In a couple of responses it sounds almost like it's silly to do mods...and in a couple of others, "mods are unnecessary" is followed by, "this is what I modded" by the same poster!
I believe my mods represent a transformed motorcycle. Chassis, suspension, cleaned up motor, ergonomics, weight, etc.......what the heck is the matter with wanting to improve on one's motorcycle? I could care less what resale values factor out to be, and the much overused comment, "few people can ride the Hayabusa to it's potential anyway" has little to do with the enjoyment, increased safety/performance of a properly modified motorcycle.
I don't think age is as big a factor as 1)how much a gearhead one is 2)how much cash one is able to throw at their sport. The stock Busa is a masterpiece, but it's OK to not stop there, to analyze, test and settle on superior aftermarket parts.

If you think there is an argument here AND you are coming to the STAMPEDE, perhaps you could ride my Hayabusa to more deeply understand the awesome "sleeping capabilities" that are woken up in the amazing Hayabusa vis a vis the aftermarket. BTW, I'm 62.

Raydog

Bike looks great Raydog and your incredible experience and advice are very well received! :bowdown:

Back