Stator Specs

Lobo7

Registered
Hi guys…newbie posting.

I suspect my Stator may be bad. I did a resistance test and measured 0.5/0.6 on all three paired readings…Service manual says should be between 0.2 - 0.4. Is this enough to say the Stator is bad?

Answering your other post, the stator has no effect on starting. Being slightly out of spec would not affect starting because the power from the battery is used. The stator is only used when running. When you have fixed the bike and everything is running well, you can check the idle and high rev voltages and compare that to spec, which will give you more hints as to how the stator is performing and whether it should be replaced.

I see you are doing maintenance on the fuel pump too. Some history of this bike and everything that you know so far will help forum members assist you as you work through multiple issues.

Thanks Busa Wannabe! Bike is a 2005 w/ PC. Bike sat for a few months. It won’t start without starting fluid sprayed into throttle bodies.
I replaced the fuel pump thinking this was a fuel issue. Still wouldn’t start. I tested the TPS…Resistance Test, Continuity Test, Input Voltage Test, Output Voltage Test…pass(all within specs)
Pulled the fuel injectors…cleaned and put in new Orings…Resistance tested and voltage test…pass(all within specs)
Checked the fuel rails…they were good but cleaned anyway
Replaced the spark plugs

Pulled the ignition coils and resistance tested:
#1 - primary 1.8, secondary 13.23
#2 - primary 1.8, secondary 13.38
#3 - primary 1.9, secondary 13.33
#4 - primary 1.9, secondary 13.41
Spec is primary 1.0-1.6, secondary 10-16.5k ohms
Is this enough to cause a starting issue?

Camshaft Position sensor
Resistance Test - 1.13…pass(within spec)

Just can’t figure it out…

Hi guys…newbie posting.

I suspect my Stator may be bad. I did a resistance test and measured 0.5/0.6 on all three paired readings…Service manual says should be between 0.2 - 0.4. Is this enough to say the Stator is bad?

to test the voltage in the system
see the manual / follow the video above

the resistance varies a bit (over the yeras) your 0.5-0.6 ohms should be nice

my hint was to look for the connectors as desribed at my homepage
and the 5 links around "battery not charged"

or measure simply the voltage at the batterie
if you find there 13.3 V and higher at 5000 rpm with low beam on the stator - rotor system is ok

The bike is very sensitive to battery condition. On the other hand I would not think that a weakened battery would explain requiring starting fluid.

Is the gas high octane and fresh?

Perhaps someone will chime in on your coil testing data.

High octane and fresh. I emptied the gas tank and put in fresh gas when I changed the fuel pump.

I will look to see if there are any connectivity issues. More to come.

Thanks Busa Wannabe! Bike is a 2005 w/ PC. Bike sat for a few months. It won’t start without starting fluid sprayed into throttle bodies.
I replaced the fuel pump thinking this was a fuel issue. Still wouldn’t start.
Pulled the fuel injectors…cleaned and put in new Orings…Resistance tested and voltage test…pass(all within specs)
Checked the fuel rails…they were good but cleaned anyway
Just can’t figure it out…
Have you actually tested for fuel pressure and flow at the injectors/fuel rail?
If it fires up with starting fluid sprayed into the intake, it is definitely a fuelsupply issue.
First check for fuel flow at the fuel rail/injector connection when you turn on the ignition with the key, be sure the kill switch is set to 'run'. It should flow fuel from the rail to the injector for about one second to prime the rail and injectors.
Then crank the engine with the starter motor and it should flow fuel non stop while cranking.
If it is not flowing fuel, the fuel pump is not running, then you need to look atr power supply to the pump etc.

I will check for that. I checked the flow before the fuel rail but not after. Fuel pump primes when the ignition is turned on. I hear it. Good idea to check at the fuel rail.

I pulled the fuel rail and I’m getting a spray of gas through the injectors when I try to start it. I also checked to ensure each spark plug was producing a spark.
Is it a question of not enough of a spark or not enough gas?
I feel like I am overlooking something. While it does start with the starting fluid it runs rough won’t hold the idle and eventually quits.

I pulled the fuel rail and I’m getting a spray of gas through the injectors when I try to start it. I also checked to ensure each spark plug was producing a spark.
Is it a question of not enough of a spark or not enough gas?
I feel like I am overlooking something. While it does start with the starting fluid it runs rough won’t hold the idle and eventually quits.
Pulled the fuel rail and turned the key on? the injectors didn't blow out of it due to fuel pressure?
If you didn't zip tie them or something I would suspect you fuel pressure is low.

Am I wrong in my logic? I had injectors pop out a LONG time ago have been very careful since

I pulled the fuel rail and set the injectors so that they would spray into the throttle bodies. Turned on the ignition and tried starting it. I saw the injectors spray gas but certainly not a situation where I would say there was ton of pressure. I’m leaning towards this being a fuel issue. I’m going to pull the fuel pump and recheck my install. Does this sound like a fuel pump issue or the fuel pressure regulator or both? I replaced both. Both are from Quantum Fuel Systems.

Follow up…turns out this was a fuel pump issue.
I have to show love to the guys at Quantum Fuel Systems for sending me a replacement fuel pump after I shared the issues I was having. Put in the replacement and the Busa started right up!

Thanks to all for your feedback…it helped me figure this out.

Back