Charging system failure

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
Bike is not charging:

Bike died while I was driving so I was confident it was a charging problem.

Took the battery off got it charged back up started and tested it while running sure enough it's not charging. :(

Being not very electrically inclined I took off the rectifier and had it checked by a Tech and he tells me its bad. When and got one, hooked it up still not charging. I went and checked the connectors after reading a warning in a thread here. Found that the connector plug was melted on the wiring harness side.

Got a little happy this must be it got it sorted and tried again still not charging.

I have the manual here and was doing this resistance test on the stator but not sure if I am doing it right.

If I am doing it right it means not only is the replacement rectifier that I bought bad but the stator itself is no good as well.

Can any one dumb down the resistance testing procedure for the stator/magneto/alternator the fact the manual calls it different things at different times of the day doesn't help :laugh:

unplugged the 3 pronged plug,made sure I tested the stator side. Switched the multi-meter to ohms put red needle on 1 of the plugs (book doesn't say which, have no idea if it matters) put the black needle in the other and repeated it switched the needles around till I got them all. Readings would flash to 7 in a second or dropped to 0.0
Is my reading 0.0 which I believe thats is bad or 7 which I believe is good. Or is it whatever reading stays constant the one that matters the 0.0 :(

This test was done with engine and ignition off.

Not really thinking on the rectifier problem cause if the magneto is bad at this point in time the bike maybe sitting an a stand for a very, very long time.

Well that sucks !
Can't offer you any expertise but can offer sympathy and hope you get her fixed up .

Back