Starting a paint project on the '02

can you post pictures of the tank up close, does it get scratched easily. i am thinking of doing it but i am going to leave the tank by it self. by the way can you post the color code or type?? i think it will look nice with chrome

I will get an up close pic for you tomorrow, I do not have the energy right now to push the bike out the garage and back in.. (Neck Surgery)..

hERE IS THAT CLOSE UP OF THE TANK THAT WAS REQUESTED..

Imagestation.com closed, link removed
And here is one I forgot to post yesterday..

<!--EDIT|SHWELL
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130438377 -->

Comes in a CAN. Duplicolor at WalMart for 6.96.. AutoZone has it for ovr 7 bucks a can and the can at AutoZone is smaller..
no ####!! ahahah thats BADASS, I saw these pics the other day and wondered if I can just get spray paint stuff and start something and come to find out thats what you did damn nice. I gotta re-read to see the steps if you posted them

So easy I'll post them again..

5-6 cans of Duplicolor BedLiner (Best price is at WalMart 6.96 for a tall can)

Clean bike thoroughly (I used dish soap for this and then went ovr it with acrysol)

I went ovr a few pieces with a fine grit of sand paper (Basically scuff what you feel needs to be scuffed)

Spray an even coat across, but be sure to keep moving once you start spraying, it will pile on there quikly and not give you that gritty feel that you are looking for.. I stayed 8 inches away for my effect..

Let this tuff dry over night, it says 20 mins, but over nite lets it harden a little..

You are done if you are satisfied with this finish.. I will be adding another step myself, but it is not necessary..

I will use Rhino liner (Herculiner) in the reg can and use the rollerto apply another coat.. This will make it feel like really rough sand paper.. But like i said, this step is not necessary..

Remember reassembly is gonna be a little work as things will be a little tight now..
You can get reall crazy with this stuff, skies the limit..(Read above post about my race plastics)

total cost at this point was 40.00 even..
5-6 cans of Paint
1 can Acrysol
1 pk of Paint mask

I bought few cans, gonna paint my helmet today. I have Icon Mainframe kinda rubberized... scratched sooo easy... helmet.
Thanks SHWELL for nice write up. I will post pictures of my helmet.

I am doing a helmet tomorrow as well.. Great minds think alike...
smile.gif
Hey I can paint your blinkers for free. I have special paint for that. Man, yours must be smoked.... amber don`t go with stealth look....

headlight cover could be very nice addition to that bad ass look. I found one on ebay.. <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GSX1300R-Hayabusa-Headlight-lens-Shield-Cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35598QQite
mZ4584402106QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" target="_blank">here is the link for you...</a>

Vic, what type of paint do I use for that?? I was thinking about that, but I couldn't figure out what paint to use..

How long did you wait for that coating to dry out? I paint some scrap plactics 20 hours ago, it`s scratches easy.
I think clearcoat would be required.
Without clearcoat it looks friking sick.. I love it!

dID YOU GET bED LINER OR UNDERCOAT..??? There is a big difference, the undercoat is rubber based.. But I leave my stuff overnite.. I am inthe desert, so the air is dry as dry can be. And the temp here has to be hotter than in Colorado. I am in Vegas.... How many coats did you put on..

I`ve got bedliner, Duplicolor $6.97 in WalMart... In a Can. It is vinil based... The other one in the jar is polyuretane based...
I put one coat just to try it out... After 20 hours in my house I can scratch it with my fingernails... I guess I have to wait a little longer. Because with clearcoat there will be no point of Rhino Liner, durability...
I should try polyuretane one. I have painting equipment in my garage.
I also tried to use mothers plastic cleaner on it and it just amazing, scratches invisible and it sure will protect from sun.

I am not sure what to tel you Vic.. I have not had a prb with it at all. The ones I dd yesterday feel great.... Could it be the item you are painting.. did you scuff it b4 painting.. They might not bond well together..

Back