Starter quit???

Moparict

Donating Member
Registered
I don't know if this is the right forum, so I apologize up front.

On to more important issues.  My bike won't start.  By that, I mean the starter will not turn the bike over, like there is no power to the starter.  It is an 07 with 3052 miles on her.  It is carrying a full charge on the battery.  The fuel pump kicks on.  I checked the fuses, tip over switch, kick stand switch, clutch switch, is there something I'm missing?  It reminds me of a relay going out. I would appreciate any help!!!!  I'm desperate without my Besse!!!  It will start if you push start it.  
sad.gif

Something funky going on with the electrical. If everything is lighting up and everything else seems to be working, it could be a bad starter relay soleniod, or a broken/loose/shorted wire somewhere. If it's an 07 it should still be under warrenty... push start it and take it in to the dealership, should be fixed free, right?

If you don't want to do that for some reason, find the soleniod (I can't tell you where it is on a busa) and make sure it's properly connected. Then you can try shorting the contacts on it with a bolt or something. If the starter turns over, the soleniod is probably your problem.

Do the headlights go out when you press the starter button? If not, the switch itself or the control circuit might be bad.

(bitabur @ Jul. 04 2007,01:42) Something funky going on with the electrical.  If everything is lighting up and everything else seems to be working, it could be a bad starter relay soleniod, or a broken/loose/shorted wire somewhere.  If it's an 07 it should still be under warrenty... push start it and take it in to the dealership, should be fixed free, right?

If you don't want to do that for some reason, find the soleniod (I can't tell you where it is on a busa) and make sure it's properly connected.  Then you can try shorting the contacts on it with a bolt or something.  If the starter turns over, the soleniod is probably your problem.

Do the headlights go out when you press the starter button?  If not, the switch itself or the control circuit might be bad.
Lights come on, pump comes on, and the lights go out when I push the starter button. Nothing happens though. The turn around time on a bike at the Suzuki dealership here is about 4 weeks (I didn't buy it from them). So, if it something simple, I would rather fix it myself. I just wanted some opinions. I am going to check for power at the starter tomorrow (Thursday).

I'll bet you have a short out in your start switch. Find a new/used cluster, spend a day and replace it!

If you need help, let me know. After what you have said, I'm betting that is it.

Hmmm,, or let me ask you a question,,, do you turn off your bike with the 'kill' switch or the key?

No,, wait,, you said you can jump start the bike,, so I will stick to the starter button being faulty.

Replace that!

Kill switches are notorious for going wrong sense day one in 1999 and even earlier on other variants, that is why they should never be used. Key only!

Kickstand up ? red kill switch in the normal position ? clutch pulled in ? Starter relay is under the seat I believe. I would get it to the dealership and deal with the owner or sales person. Probably a five second fix. I wouldn't work on a bike under warranty. That's just me brother.

Same here on schedule. Scheduled my 600 mile checkup the day I bought it. 4 weeks out. After first week I was given permission to ride to 1K and told to bring it in the next day by the owner. 1 hour wait
biggrin.gif

If it was a faulty kill switch, the fuel pump would not cycle either. If the headlight turns off when the start button is pressed, odds are next to zero that the start button is the problem. He needs to download the manual, get out the VOM and spend 5 minutes diagnosing the problem. No sense in blindly throwing money and time at "suspected" parts when the problem could just as easily be an open wire in the harness or simply an open winding in the starter.

(Turbo-Torch @ Jul. 04 2007,23:18) If it was a faulty kill switch, the fuel pump would not cycle either. If the headlight turns off when the start button is pressed, odds are next to zero that the start button is the problem. He needs to download the manual, get out the VOM and spend 5 minutes diagnosing the problem. No sense in blindly throwing money and time at "suspected" parts when the problem could just as easily be an open wire in the harness or simply an open winding in the starter.
Do you have the reading in ohms for the starter motor? Dead short or open would be an FBI clue. Hard to believe on a new ride though. I'd check all the interlocks first, making sure everything was in the right position. It wouldn't be the first time. I've been had a few times. Luckily it only took seconds after the initial WTF
laugh.gif

(Turbo-Torch @ Jul. 04 2007,20:18) If it was a faulty kill switch, the fuel pump would not cycle either.  If the headlight turns off when the start button is pressed, odds are next to zero that the start button is the problem.  He needs to download the manual, get out the VOM and spend 5 minutes diagnosing the problem.  No sense in blindly throwing money and time at "suspected" parts when the problem could just as easily be an open wire in the harness or simply an open winding in the starter.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Do you hear a click when you press the starter button? If you do, it's probably a connection or the starter itself. If you don't, the soleniod (relay) is probably bad. My money is on a bad relay given how new the bike is.'

If you can find it, you can short the terminals on it, and if the starter turns, you know your problem.

Have you checked the wires that plug in on the left handlebar. Mine came loose 1 day & I checked everything before I noticed it.

Check for loose connection at starter and sol. The sol is located on the left side (while sitting on bike) under the front seat, you will have to pull off the tail section to gain access to all the wiring!
Hope you get it running soon!

(MPH 200 @ Jul. 05 2007,08:30) Have you checked the wires that plug in on the left handlebar. Mine came loose 1 day & I checked everything before I noticed it.
I checked all the wiring to the clutch, kickstand switch, and the starter. Everything was hooked up, tight, and clean. I then checked that the switches were working by activating different sequences of clutch, kickstand and power switch, key, and listening for the fuel pump. All the safety switches seem to be working perfectly. I am just about 100% it's the starter relay. I will check that today when I get home. I had to have my friends push start my bike at the drag strip and it stunk. Not to mention listening to all the crap about a 07 breaking already!! Good friendly ribbing! Thanks for all the help
beerchug.gif

Moparict
I may certainly be wrong on this but I don't think fuel pump activation is a good diagnostic for
the various cut outs that can prevent starter activation. I just went through this with my 82 GS1100 and actually bought a new starter relay/solenoid ($75 ouch!) based on the diagnostics in the service manual and that did not fix it. I have not checked my Busa service manual but on the GS the clutch lever switch feeds/is an input to the starter solenoid and a little corrosion in the clutch lever switch was enough to prevent ANY solenoid/starter activation. This also caused there to be no continuity across the solenoid contacts so even a "jump start" would not work without the voltage from the clutch lever/switch. VOM the wire at the clutch lever and see if it is tripping with full clutch lever pull just to be sure.
On the Busa the fuel pump fires up with ignition on and no hand on the clutch lever at all so I doubt that is the
mechanism preventing starter activation....

Good luck and I agree with you on trying diagnostics yourself even under warranty. Heaven help (or not) he who relies on the dealer.

Tony

Moparict
I may certainly be wrong on this but I don't think fuel pump activation is a good diagnostic for
the various cut outs that can prevent starter activation. I just went through this with my 82 GS1100 and actually bought a new starter relay/solenoid ($75 ouch!) based on the diagnostics in the service manual and that did not fix it. I have not checked my Busa service manual but on the GS the clutch lever switch feeds/is an input to the starter solenoid and a little corrosion in the clutch lever switch was enough to prevent ANY solenoid/starter activation. This also caused there to be no continuity across the solenoid contacts so even a "jump start" would not work without the voltage from the clutch lever/switch. VOM the wire at the clutch lever and see if it is tripping with full clutch lever pull just to be sure.
On the Busa the fuel pump fires up with ignition on and no hand on the clutch lever at all so I doubt that is the

Good luck and I agree with you on trying diagnostics yourself even under warranty. Heaven help (or not) he who relies on the dealer.

Tony

That's a good point tony, it could easily be a loose/separated wire on the clutch switch. I hadn't thought about that one.

(TONY1300R @ Jul. 05 2007,11:45) Moparict

Tony
I bought a starter relay just in case, and the verdict is in. For some reason the clutch position switch was stuck open. I don't know why. There is only roughly 3050 miles on the bike. So anyway, I took the switch off and cleaned it out with WD-40 and got it working smoothly again with a firm "click" when manually pushing the switch. The short of all this is I learned a $50 dollar lesson, that is double checking your diagnosis. AND, I have an extra starter relay for my trouble!! LOL!!! Thanks for all the help fellas
beerchug.gif

Back