Starter switch, relay?? Problems..

cerebusa

Registered
Hi guys, Bike wont start, 2003 Busa, I figured it was dirty contacts on push button, cleaned checked out. Still no cranky. I cleaned posts on the started, no cranky. Ok looking at the starter relay when home today, gottatake the tail fairing off appearently? Any way, any more ideas from you guys? How much is the starter switch, could it be the starter or how likely is that. Thanks, ike

No but it checks good. 12.9 volts at batt, allso I ride yr round and it was on trickle when parked for bad weather. Here in SC we dont get much so I ride. It will hit like it wants to crank ever so often, had done this intermittedly for a few weeks. I can peddle start down a hill, thats how I cranked yesterday. Had a woolyworm coccoon in my 99s starter push button years ago, cleaned that out and zoom zoom. No zoom zoom this time.

You can check the starter relay by jumping it with a screwdriver or heavy piece of wire. Be aware that just because the battery is showing good voltage, doesn't mean it isn't healthy and holding that charge.

Yeah I know, dead cells and all but it was running great starting fine generally and would occationally do this. Then yesterday. It hit a couple times the nothin. I think its probably not the battery. But,,, if the relay checks good I guess Ill try that next, Thanks, Mike

Yes, cleaned all, Dont know under load yet. Was getting 9.7 volts to the push start button. Gonna check all that tonight. Across the relay.

All the interlocks are good to go ? Neutral, kickstand, kill switch, clutch, tip over, etc.

Yeah checked all and it will push start, runs fine. Had to peddle start it yesterday down a hill at work, rode 90+ home, turned it off at home and immediately hit the start.. alas no start..

Ok I checked everything, starter relay, side stand relay, Jump across the relay and it will turn over. Battery checkes 12.7 volts. It turned over great on jump. Could it still be battery. I am done. Any one know anything before I have to take it in?

Ok just FYI.. It was 2 stinking diodes that are in the interlocks. Replaced both, not sure which it was but it is running great now. Went ahead whilst I had her naked and finally did the full airbox mod. Zoom zoom agan. Caio..

i was going to suggest the "clutch lever relay" the other day. although, i am not sure if the gen 1 has one but i assume they do. happened to me a year ago on my 08'. nevertheless, glad it was hashed out.

Ok I checked everything, starter relay, side stand relay, Jump across the relay and it will turn over. Battery checkes 12.7 volts. It turned over great on jump. Could it still be battery. I am done. Any one know anything before I have to take it in?

So you jumped the relay and it works? If so it sounds like you've found the issue.

Hi, i still have the same problem, my hayabusa wont start, 1999 model, i bought a new gel battery and relay switch, still wont start, the start button is getting volts, but does nothing when you press it. everything lights up but it doesnt even try start. people say, check the tip over thing, it did fall over, but i looked at it and it looks fine. and i checked the stand switch and clutch switch, seemed fine but dont know how to check if they work or not? any ideas?

You need to check all those interlocks with a meter or by placing a jumper across them. You need to check / test that tip over switch.

Back