Starter Kick Back

brad

Registered
Not sure what is causing my starter to kick back on my bone stock 2002 busa. When I hit the starter button if the motor spins for more then three or four seconds before starting it feels like the starter is kicking back and then the motor and starter stop spinning. Is this a starter or bendix issue or is it my starter clutch? Do starter clutches wear out?
Please advise.
brad

First, I'd say that if it takes more than 1.5 sec for the engine to start, something is not right. Second, your battery may be weak and has enough juice for a few sec of cranking, and as it gets weaker the engine comppresion takes over, kicks back and the whole thing stalls. Another possibility is that you have a poor connection in the starter circuit (e.g. battery terminals), and such connection quickly heats up, expands - making connection even worse, and as a result there isn't enough current to turn the starter.

had the same problem a few days ago...

that was the result:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Pull the plugs out and see if it will turn over. If so check for water in the cylinder. Might have a leak and getting water in one of them

Nothing will stop kickbacks except a clean fuel system, a good battery and doing the upgrade.. The old system will always have no place for pressure to go as long as old solid gear system is in bike, you one push of button away from a kickback at anytime... The upgrade would be the first mod I did to a 99-02 bike, even before a pc or pipe or anything.. a broke motor with a pipe,pc or anything fancy is not worth anything..

Here we go again, 2 months left til take off. I have a slipper clutch installed instead of a solid one but i´m thinking of doing the upgrade anyway. Is there a complete kit and if so, what´s a reasonable price?

I´m still wondering though, what makes the engine cranking slow randomly? I can´t believe that the upgrade will stop THAT? The loud click is the starterclutch letting go so when the kickback occurs the slipperclutch will even out the pressure right? Buying new batteries 2 times a season doesn´t seem to help no matter what i put in there.

You need a complete starter assembly off an 03 and up, including the starter motor, the spline is longer!
You need the covers also!
They can be found on Ebay complete for around $250 ish!

So what i need is number 1 through 5 in this fiche + starter and covers?

I have a heavy duty stater gear and starter pins for sale. The stock Hayabusa battery has less CCA than a GSXR1000. If you upgrade the battery you should also get larger battery cables

Thanks guys! My battery is at 210 CCA but if the cables can´t deliver it doesn´t matter. I have no starting problems whatsoever it´s just that sometimes, very randomly it cranks slow and the starter clutch lets go, the slipper clutch should take care of the actual kickback if there is one i guess? The problem disappeared after fitting a new starter clutch but 2 months later it was back but instead of the starter clutch letting go the starter stops, next crank it starts up in a second.

So the cause might actually be the starter cables?

Not sure what is causing my starter to kick back on my bone stock 2002 busa. When I hit the starter button if the motor spins for more then three or four seconds before starting it feels like the starter is kicking back and then the motor and starter stop spinning. Is this a starter or bendix issue or is it my starter clutch? Do starter clutches wear out?
Please advise.
brad
Unfortunately thats a VERY well known problem on the 02 and back busa's. If you keep cranking it like that you're going to crack your case, or do other very expensive damage. Do a search on here and you'll get TONS of info on the prob. Most guys have said keeping the battery on a tender and strong so the bike fires quick is the easiest fix..a weak battery will supposedly cause the problem, and expensive damage pronto.

The next fix is upgrading to an 03 and up starter clutch/sprag set-up. Permanent cure but more money and labor.
Do yourself a favor..charge your battery up completely, keep it on a tender whenever the bikes parked, and if the batteries dying replace it now. Don't continue to start it like that unless you want big repair bills.

Another benefit to battery tenders is they make your battery last for a VERY long time. My 04 is still on the original battery, 9 years and strong as ever thanks to being on a tender whenever its parked. Same story with my 06 ZX14. Battery tenders rock!! :super:

Oops...just noticed I got pulled into another graveyard thread :banghead:

1897363-holy_thread_resurrection.jpg

Even more unfortunate is that no one knows where it comes from, this thread will always be relevant ;-)

this happend to me today.... smashed every thing to pieces... :banghead: even cracked a little bit of block off .....can anyone tell me if the small piece can be repaired.. thanks guys

My season started the same way it ended so i gave up, ditched the shorai battery and bought a bosch M6 YTX 14 with cca 230. To my surprise the problem is gone once again. This morning i started the bike with first gear engaged and felt that little pull forwards but it didn't slow down one little bit and just started.

To avoid future damage i've installed the titanium ring, hd pin and nova idler gear limiter that can spin freely backwards if the starterclutch lets go and the engine kicks back + a new starterclutch. I couldn't find all the parts for the 03 upgrade at the time so i bought the nova kit from extremeengines.

So what i need is number 1 through 5 in this fiche + starter and covers?

So what is the deal? Is this what you need (1-5) or do you need everything shown in the pic? Yes I know I need the starter and cover also but I want to make sure I don't buy unneeded stuff. Thanks

I had a similar problem here in Sweden with my 00, so thanks for the best forum ever!
Will be upgrading the whole enchilada to the 03 setup if I can find the parts, let me know if someone has the complete kit for sale and I’ll pick it up
Thankfully mine didn’t do any damage except to the starter clutch and case, which has a hairline fracture in it, but the starter is showing bad marks on the axel so will replace the lot if I can find the parts.

Back