NEED HELP!!!...Starter Button Inop.

SlimNickel

Registered
Family,

My 2000 ride has been sitting for a few weeks while the weather hasn't been it's most pleasant. To get right to it, we had a break in weather last week, so I decided that I'll take the bike to work. No sooner than I put the key in and tried to start it, there was a 3-5 seond delay in ignition. That's not the bad part. When it finally engaged, I could hear the starter grinding as if it was a kick-back. Being big-headed, I tried it again...same thing. Seeing that I have replaced the starter before for the same issue, I knew immediately that the teeth on the spindle were shot. No biggie...been there and done that. So I ordered a new starter. In the mean time, when I took the case off, I tried to start it again to see if it was spinning. Now the starter button isn't working.

This is where I need the help. I tried jumping the starter from the solenoid with a screwdriver, and the starter spun free as a bird. All lights and gauges cycle. I checked the 30amp fuse, and it's good. What could cause the starter button to all of a sudden stop working? What should I look for in regards to tracking down the problem. BTW, I know now that I need to replace the starter clutch, so that I don't have any future trouble. It's a 2000, and I can't readily afford to do the '03 conversion just yet. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
-SlimNickel-

Get u a test light put it on the solenoid activation wire to see if it lights up when u hit the button..it kinda sounds like u need a solenoid too..

sent from my busa

starter relay could be going bad as a mechanic thats where i would start my testing even if the fuse is good the amperage could get getting weak... the more you use a relay the weaker it gets.. its like flipping a switch tens of thousands of tiems the more it happens the weaker the connection

It's a 10 year old bike. It could be anything. Check all interlocks, clutch switch, kill switch, kickstand switch, starter switch, starter relay ........... Battery 100%

Back