Stalling under braking?

AJAY

Registered
My bike has recently begun to stall when braking (clutch in or neutral), usually as I am approaching a full stop. Hard braking is more likely to make it happen, but it has happened a couple of times under really gentle braking.

First: My idle is too low, like 900 rpm. I need to set it higher. I know this and am pretty sure raising the idle will fix it.

Still, it surprises me that it should stall when braking, when it idles just fine when sitting.

Trying to think of a physical mechanism for making it stall under braking.

* Fuel System: It has happened with a full gas tank, so I don't think it's unporting the fuel pump or anything like that. A pressurized fuel injection system should be pretty much immune to G-loads.

* Ignition: The ignition system doesn't care.

* Air Intake: System is (semi) rigid and should be unaffected.

* Oil System: Oil sloshes up and puts extra drag on the crank? The oil sloshes forward, unports the oil pickup and momentary excess drag results from low oil pressure? Man, I sure hope this isn't the cause!

Anybody have a good physical mechanism that could be causing this behavior?

Set your idle closer to 1200. Low idle has an affect on the ECU. I would guess fuel system beyond that, but set the idle.

What year and how many miles ?

Set your idle closer to 1200. Low idle has an affect on the ECU. I would guess fuel system beyond that, but set the idle.

What year and how many miles ?
2007 with 7500 miles. Should have stated that.

What effect does braking have on the ECU?

While we're at it, where is the idle adjustment? I haven't looked for it yet.

Braking should not have an adverse affect on the ECU, but low idle will. Take a long skinny flatblade between the tank and frame, brake side above the peg. You can take a look and see the adjustment screw. Small adjustments until you get there, and make sure the bike is warm and fast idle is off. Do a search, several good threads on this with pix. Keyword idle

Braking should not have an adverse affect on the ECU, but low idle will. Take a long skinny flatblade between the tank and frame, brake side above the peg. You can take a look and see the adjustment screw. Small adjustments until you get there, and make sure the bike is warm and fast idle is off. Do a search, several good threads on this with pix. Keyword idle
Gracias, Senor Do3!

If you are already at 7500 miles and have never adjusted your idle, I would bet money that is your issue.

Awesome. You guys rock! :beerchug:

FWIW, a solution for the truly lazy is to use your fast idle lever, usually reserved for starting the bike. That's what I did last ride. :)

For all the technological prowess Suzuki instilled in the Hayabusa, it amazes me that my wife's fuel injected Harley takes care of all this automatically, but the Busa doesn't.

Awesome. You guys rock! :beerchug:

FWIW, a solution for the truly lazy is to use your fast idle lever, usually reserved for starting the bike. That's what I did last ride. :)

For all the technological prowess Suzuki instilled in the Hayabusa, it amazes me that my wife's fuel injected Harley takes care of all this automatically, but the Busa doesn't.

That was corrected on the Gen II's. No adjustment needed.

That was corrected on the Gen II's. No adjustment needed.
Hmmm, $0 to use the fast idle lever, $55 to do the remote idle screw mod, or ~$12,000+ OTD for a Gen II.

What the heck, my daughter doesn't really need to go to college, does she?

Do the throttle cable mod and get hold of Justin at Honda East. $55 for parts is a little high. I just did the mod yesterday. Cake!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Went the cheap route. Lifted the tank, turned the screw, saved 50 bucks, and should be good for a few thousand more miles. LOL!

Back