False neutral problem/oil pressure problem

99 Busapilot

Registered
False Neutral:
I searched the forum for a false neutral problem and haven't found anything. Could I be the only one?

This mostly happens between 5th and 6th under normal conditions, but happens more often when under strong throttle. Also happens btwn. 4th and 5th, but not as often. I get positive "feel" and can hear a gear change, but letting off the clutch gives me neutral. There is a severe "chunk" when I kick her into gear again.

I just replaced my clutch springs and the plates and basket look in great condition.

Stalling Under Hard Braking:
The bike also stalls under extreme braking to a stop, probably from a drop in oil pressure. Oil is fresh and full. I use my bike when teaching the MSF course here in MD and it is a bit embarassing when I stall showing how to hard brake. I really wish I could get this solved.

My bike is a '99 in mostly original condition.

Dragon_Overlook.jpg

Most false neutrals occur when the bike is new with low milage. Adjust the shifter down so you get a better pull on it & shift like you mean it. I haven't had it happen since the 1st week I got mine.

What is the idle set at? Should be 1100-1150 according to the manual. If it's too low it will stall when you pull in the clutch..
cool.gif

Anything else?
biggrin.gif

Bike has just over 30,000. I have size 14 feet and the lever pull is perfect for my big boats. It doesn't feel like a rider error as I hear and feel a positive shift.

I will experiment a bit with shifting firmness and get back to you.

Thanks for the reply.

Welcome to the .Org, and a great lookin' bike! False neutrals between 4-5 and 5-6 are typical on new bikes, but usually fade after 1,000 miles. Mine as about 2,600 miles, and I still catch one occasionally. As for the stalling, check that the idle is set at 1,150. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will have some suggestions.

Thanks '05.

I guess I should have added the particulars:
Bike has 30,100 miles.
Maintenance is done religiously.
Idle is set at 1000 even. 1100 brings about a strange "burp."
Golden Spectro 4 oil only.
OEM Suzuki oil filters only.

I will try setting the idle at 1150-1200.

I'm just tired of my classes giving me the business for stalling. They should talk. I'd like to see them do the 20' x 40' S-turn box on a Busa!

Also Check your shift Linkage and be sure that the Lock nuts are nice and tight. Looks like you are running the Stock Pegs in the picture. With the Buell Pegs I had moved things around almost to the point of binding with the stock linkage.

I don't buy the "shift like you mean it". Many people with years of cycling experience have mentioned it. Too many to have it be a technique. It's a design flaw that SUZ just isn't fixing cuz it's not bad enough.... to them. Maybe nobody has bothered to tell them? In other words, it's typical on a Hayabusa but shouldn't be

I have this problem but my bike is new ...

I'm wondering if the chain tension has abit to do with the issue ...

Maybe it is all in my head but I'd swear to you that my problems were almost gone until I tightened my chain abit and now they seem to be recurring.

Not as bad as the first few hundred miles but still noticable.

Could a little slop in the chain make shifting abit easier and a little less than suggested make it harder?

I don't buy the "shift like you mean it". Many people with years of cycling experience have mentioned it. Too many to have it be a technique. It's a design flaw that SUZ just isn't fixing cuz it's not bad enough.... to them. Maybe nobody has bothered to tell them? In other words, it's typical on a Hayabusa but shouldn't be
I agree with you on that! There is definitely a design flaw in there somewhere. The proper solution is to tear the bike down & have the transmission reworked & undercut all of the gears. I personally don't have to cash for that so I will continue to shift a little harder from 5th to 6th.
biggrin.gif

Back