Bike stalling when coming to a stop

landmissle

Registered
My bike was stalling when coming to a stop. Looking thru the service manual I realized that my idle was way low. It was idling around 600 rpm and is suppose to be around 1100 rpm. Now is it fine. My bike is pretty new and I was surprised the idle would be this far off.

Glad you found it! I think they're all set low when delivered. I know mine was set around 800.

I have had to adjust mine every couple hunderd miles or so, I need to put some threadlock on the screw.

Yup, check it peroidically
wink.gif

I set mine at around 1500 - 1700. Never dies, no need to adjust after that. And never overheats.

(IG. @ Oct. 01 2007,10:43) I set mine at around 1500 - 1700. Never dies, no need to adjust after that. And never overheats.
Thats a bit to high... it shouldnt be up that high unless you pull back on the fast idle lever... all your doing is using more gas for nothing with the idle that high...

(Sloto200 @ Oct. 01 2007,12:23)
(IG. @ Oct. 01 2007,10:43) I set mine at around 1500 - 1700. Never dies, no need to adjust after that. And never overheats.
Thats a bit to high... it shouldnt be up that high unless you pull back on the fast idle lever... all your doing is using more gas for nothing with the idle that high...
It doesn't use more gas because when I ride I am not idling, but rather stay somewhere in the middle. A few minutes at the lights is nothing (when I am really idling). Been using for a couple of years and don't have to worry about engine dieing on me.

(IG. @ Oct. 01 2007,19:23)
(Sloto200 @ Oct. 01 2007,12:23)
It doesn't use more gas because when I ride I am not idling, but rather stay somewhere in the middle. A few minutes at the lights is nothing (when I am really idling). Been using for a couple of years and don't have to worry about engine dieing on me.
keep in mind that your bike is not able to brake at all with so high idle while your throttle is closed.So you have to use your brakes much more often.Even if you downshift, you can hardly feel braking by the engine
wink.gif
beerchug.gif

My bike would die at lights too. I went to the dealer twice and the "fixed" it. (or so they said) I don't think they did anything to it. It died in front of the dealership. When I got home I took matters into my own hands and turned the idle screw myself. Once I found the right idle setting, (very sensitve adjustment) I took a sharpie and marked the screw head and the bracket. This way when the screw backs out again,(and it wil) I know exactly where to put it. It's now a 1 min. job.

(IG. @ Oct. 01 2007,08:43) I set mine at around 1500 - 1700. Never dies, no need to adjust after that. And never overheats.
I have mine set at 1500 rpm also. It seems to like that spot.
I took off the spring from the adjustment set screw and put a nut and lock washer in its place. My RPM hasn't changed in 4000 miles.

I built a 1967 Mustang with a 351 Clevland engine in it (many years ago)and had the same. It wouldn't idle--duh!
rant.gif

Back