sprocket and chain change

Noon

Donating Member
Registered
I'm changing the sprockets and chain on my 2005 Hayabusa which I've never done and would appreciate any tips and tricks .
i have an idea of what to do but I've ran into something and I'm not sure what it is , please help
there's some kind of a spacer on the sprocket cover and I'm not sure how to proceed in order to get the sprocket cover off .
what exactly am i looking at here ?

420712333_280942781449400_5860480621789210325_n.jpg

420199632_363138779986450_265377545498519119_n.jpg

You have an aftermarket clutch cylinder brace for strength.
In the picture it looks like the bottom bolt head is broken off.
Take the other 2 bolts out and remove the brace.
You should be able to slide the sprocket cover over the broken stud, but if not, you may have enough material there to get a bite on with vice grips, with the brace out of the way.
If it doesn't want to turn, a straight on hit from a punch and hammer can help it break loose.
Penatrating oil and heat may be needed.
Worst case, you need an Easy-Out.

This is the master link pin head I was talking about too.
The chain press mushrooms/flattenes the pin head.
Too little, and the master link may not stay together.
Too much, and you will crack or split the pin head.
So, take your time and creep up on it.
Every chain maker has their own spec, but you find most between .210" and .220"
The .217" in this picture is good, and done.

Screenshot_20240207-123204_Gallery.jpg

Clean but all those sparklies around are from what? Mine looked gummy from old chain lube but no spraklies.

Metal dust.
The front sprocket doesn't look bad, but I talked to @Noon earlier, and he had a rear sprocket tooth come off when he removed the rear wheel.
The bike also has a 6" or 8" stretch.
To me it sounds like the rear wheel wasn't perfectly aligned, and/or the chain slack was too tight, or too loose, which would cause excessive wear and explain the metal filings/dust.

Metal dust.
The front sprocket doesn't look bad, but I talked to @Noon earlier, and he had a rear sprocket tooth come off when he removed the rear wheel.
The bike also has a 6" or 8" stretch.
To me it sounds like the rear wheel wasn't perfectly aligned, and/or the chain slack was too tight, or too loose, which would cause excessive wear and explain the metal filings/dust.
can i use brake cleaner to wipe it down ?

Back