Changing Sprockets and Chain, how often?

mvanlone

Registered
How often do you guys change your sprockets and chains on your bikes? You go by the number of miles you drive? How often? What brands of either of sprockets and chains you like and where you buy?

all depends on how well you service the thing etc..

My stockers went 16K.. my first aftermarket sprocket (AFAM) lasted 5K with an EK ZZZ chain.. *they blame the EK Chain, yea right...

My stockers went 16K.. my first aftermarket sprocket (AFAM) lasted 5K with an EK ZZZ chain.. *they blame the EK Chain, yea right...

+1

lube, adjust the chain when required and make sure it is alligned properly so it wont eat your sprocket.
and how hard you ride that thing, drag race ,wheelies etc...etc...

It all depends on how well you keep your chain clean and properly adjusted.

Figure anywhere from 12-14 K with minimal care and I can proudly say I got 26K out of my last stock set up on my 06.

I replaced it with a steel sprockets and ZZZ chain set-up and am over 50 K now with that and it should last another 10K or so.

I always check the pin to pin distance after lubing the chain. I check the teeth on my sprockets every so often as well. That reminds me I need to order a replacement 18t front.

It also depends on the product. Anything with Alum will wear all that much faster. As you ad HP you will also need stronger gears and maybe a new output shaft (250hp & up). Some good stuff out there but most of the over the counter big names sprockets are crap to me. I need the extra strenth of aircraft steel and true titanium for the Dragon.

I can confer,I think the zzz is way overated and have witnessed it myself.

It also depends on the product. Anything with Alum will wear all that much faster. As you ad HP you will also need stronger gears and maybe a new output shaft (250hp & up). Some good stuff out there but most of the over the counter big names sprockets are crap to me. I need the extra strenth of aircraft steel and true titanium for the Dragon.

Switch to PBI sprockets and never buy another brand,12k miles on a front and rear and not one bit of wear...measured and looked just as good as new in package one..

As a chain wears, the effective pitch slowly increases a few thousanths. That tends to increase the load (pull) on each sprocket tooth-the "leading" tooth up front (~1-o'clock position), and the "trailing" tooth out back (~11 o'clock). As sprocket teeth wear, the pitch tends to remain the same. So a somewhat worn sprocket shouldn't hurt a chain (they wear internally), but a worn chain can use up sprockets pretty fast.

Switch to PBI sprockets and never buy another brand,12k miles on a front and rear and not one bit of wear...measured and looked just as good as new in package one..

I will have to check it out. Thanks, I am sure it is much cheaper then my specials that I have had made, and if they hold up great.

As a chain wears, the effective pitch slowly increases a few thousanths. That tends to increase the load (pull) on each sprocket tooth-the "leading" tooth up front (~1-o'clock position), and the "trailing" tooth out back (~11 o'clock). As sprocket teeth wear, the pitch tends to remain the same. So a somewhat worn sprocket shouldn't hurt a chain (they wear internally), but a worn chain can use up sprockets pretty fast.
yes this is true but the AFAM/Vortex sprocket issue applies to "NEW" chains and sprockets.. Vortex "claims" the ZZZ chain is shorter by some .002 per link (I do not have the chains to compare or verify this number) and kill the sprockets..

Now why this has not been ever been brought out before is beyond me.. there is no way I am the first guy to have the EK ZZZ/AFAM combo and my riding style is certainly not "beat it to death" by any stretch.. I ride hard but no drag racing, wheelies or clutching the bike up (to many years working on this stuff and I know what it does)..

Daniel, the PBI will run ok with the ZZZ? or do I just need to stick to my original plan and get a tri-metal gear?

yes this is true but the AFAM/Vortex sprocket issue applies to "NEW" chains and sprockets.. Vortex "claims" the ZZZ chain is shorter by some .002 per link (I do not have the chains to compare or verify this number) and kill the sprockets..

Now why this has not been ever been brought out before is beyond me.. there is no way I am the first guy to have the EK ZZZ/AFAM combo and my riding style is certainly not "beat it to death" by any stretch.. I ride hard but no drag racing, wheelies or clutching the bike up (to many years working on this stuff and I know what it does)..

Daniel, the PBI will run ok with the ZZZ? or do I just need to stick to my original plan and get a tri-metal gear?

Pbi will work with any chain,again I have tried to sell guys stuck on zzz the zvx2 before hand and explained it,only to have them call back months later and get the zvx2 anyways..no more complaints.If i sell it I used it otherwise you can deal with consequences of your own decision :rofl:..Money wasted,I never...

20k, OEM

sprocket 006.jpg

sprocket 014.jpg

How do you get that chain wear protector off the swing arm ? I just want to clean everything thoroughly... I found 2 bolts but it still doesn't want to come off.

Back