Sprocket Alignment

Unomi

Registered
My manual doesn’t have a method on sprocket alignment when the wheel is aligned but the sprocket is more to one side. I’ve done a significant amount of searching across these forums and can’t find anything.

Would any of the pros know how I can maintain wheel alignment WITH a centered sprocket? I took it for a test drive and it is pretty chatty, letting me know it doesn’t like being positioned that way.

A1C2BB75-D0AF-450F-8158-B1F568BDD3A7.jpeg

@sixpack577 I double-checked collars and spacers and everything is there. I'm continuing my search and came across another motorcycle forum that mentioned that it's a possibility of old, shrunken cush rubbers.

It seems likely in my case; 2006 with original rubbers. There is no dmg, but there is a tiny bit of play. I ordered new ones even if this isn't the case with sprocket alignment.

Edit: @VIPER I noticed you mentioned the the drives and I'm hoping this does the trick.

@sixpack577 I double-checked collars and spacers and everything is there. I'm continuing my search and came across another motorcycle forum that mentioned that it's a possibility of old, shrunken cush rubbers.

It seems likely in my case; 2006 with original rubbers. There is no dmg, but there is a tiny bit of play. I ordered new ones even if this isn't the case with sprocket alignment.

Edit: @VIPER I noticed you mentioned the the drives and I'm hoping this does the trick.
but are the spacers on the correct sides of the wheel?
If I remember correctly if they are not the problem would be more obvious than what you have.
That is a gen1, correct?

@VIPER i am checking for true alignment and not off the manufacture hash marks. This forum has a great write that I used.

@sixpack577 I have the correct spacers and collars in place according to Clymer. I took the wheel back off to check again. Yes, it is a gen 1 2006 LE.

0C2B2002-CED8-47AF-8EC8-34FD6B1245F0.jpeg

BDAAC685-69F2-4D91-B4DE-1E20E9699113.jpeg

05D43B64-1B67-46C7-9F78-11431A4347A0.jpeg

C4B18A86-F6FA-4E21-B34F-540E487D8335.jpeg

Last edited:
@VIPER i am checking for true alignment and not off the manufacture hash marks. This forum has a great write that I used.

@sixpack577 I have the correct spacers and collars in place according to Clymer. I took the wheel back off to check again. Yes, it is a gen 1 2006 LE.

View attachment 1648142

View attachment 1648143

View attachment 1648144

View attachment 1648145
Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTVOJ...t_i_W4G1RV7XHMZNVPAVB0HA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use one of these and it works pretty good for eyeballing that everything is in alignment. I just did a chain and sprockets on a gixxer 750 with a vortex kit and caught myself questioning which direction the front sprocket should be installed. Found several things online that says the vortex stamp faces out and a couple of those said confirmed by talking to vortex. I measured how far the oem sprocket was away from the case before I took it off and following what I found online had it in the same position but to me I could see that the chain was being pulled in towards the engine a bit but I left it and used the alignment tool and got it as close as my eyes could and everything felt good. 1 other thing I always throw out there is to make sure the spacer between the rim and sprocket carrier is in place if the tire has been off. I had a shop loose mine and in a rush I never noticed and made it easy more miles then I like to admit with it missing and me constantly adjusting and aligning the chain to get rid of the noise it was making only to find out the missing spacer was causing it.

Ooo... must go looking.. The MPro one drives me nuts..

Must have went up in price but you just flip the head up to go down the chain farther or closer.

Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTVOJ...t_i_W4G1RV7XHMZNVPAVB0HA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use one of these and it works pretty good for eyeballing that everything is in alignment. I just did a chain and sprockets on a gixxer 750 with a vortex kit and caught myself questioning which direction the front sprocket should be installed. Found several things online that says the vortex stamp faces out and a couple of those said confirmed by talking to vortex. I measured how far the oem sprocket was away from the case before I took it off and following what I found online had it in the same position but to me I could see that the chain was being pulled in towards the engine a bit but I left it and used the alignment tool and got it as close as my eyes could and everything felt good. 1 other thing I always throw out there is to make sure the spacer between the rim and sprocket carrier is in place if the tire has been off. I had a shop loose mine and in a rush I never noticed and made it easy more miles then I like to admit with it missing and me constantly adjusting and aligning the chain to get rid of the noise it was making only to find out the missing spacer was causing it.
I have one of those Motion Pro aligners, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I made a Cone style Alignment tool several years ago that works well. Put the All thread through the Swingarm pivot and rear axle, snug up the cones and then measure/adjust both sides until equal. Sort of a cave man version of the Healtech system.
ALIGNMENT ASSY..JPG
ALIGNMENT ASSY.2.jpg

Thank you all for the responses. I've added a couple of those tools to my wish list. I think I may have had a dumb moment. I'm taking small test drives around the neighborhood just to see if I can see new contacts on the sprocket. I'm breaking in a new BT016 on the rear and saw a TON of small gravel from the adhesive that was left on the tire, from removing the shipping tape. I chose different pavement to drive on (no tiny gravel) and the chatter seems to have left. I'll be sure to follow up as I break in the tire.

In the meantime, I still brocks cush rubbers coming in and I'll probably end up with the healtech system from the previous post.

Back