Rear wheel alignment

Using the string method is probably the most accurate alignment but I think all you need is to align the marks on each side of the swingarm with your adjusting blocks!

I always eyeball it with the factory hatch marks provided. Never had an issue.

your better of aligning the chain so that it rides over the center of the sprocket(top and bottom) roll forward and backwards....the wheel, even if its off ever so slightly will never notice the difference, but your chain will wear a lot better and last way longer and also unbind some unsprung weight

You can use string or the marks on the swingarm (close but not exact) I use a venier caliper and mike the distance from the cut out on the swing arm to the front edge of the axle block. Dead on way to chek and adjust.

You can use string or the marks on the swingarm (close but not exact) I use a venier caliper and mike the distance from the cut out on the swing arm to the front edge of the axle block. Dead on way to chek and adjust.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: +1 on that method. Ive been using that method for many years , back in my dirt riding days and even now its a very accurate way to align the sprocket and the wheel.. I do use a digital veneer caliper for this that way both sides are exact.

Last edited:

That sounds good. I am going to double check it with my caliper and see how far off the string method was. Thanx for the tip.:thumbsup: I searched the forum for info on rear tire alignment and found nothing so I posted this thread.

I just checked with the caliper and I was off by 3.6mm. Thanx for the tip on checking:thumbsup:

Last edited:
That sounds good. I am going to double check it with my caliper and see how far off the string method was. Thanx for the tip.:thumbsup: I searched the forum for info on rear tire alignment and found nothing so I posted this thread.
string method is supposed to be the most accurate way.. it eliminates any manufacturing variance from swingarm, frame or any other part between the front tire and the rear tire.. after all, you are looking for alignment of front tire to rear tire... the fewer items involved in the process the better, the string, front tire/rear tire? seems pretty simple.. if a guy wanted to get snazzy, he could build a rim mounted laser such as automotive uses..

I have read in a couple places that the hash marks on the swing arm are in fact accurate..

Last edited:
This is the tool I use:
Excellent and accurate to the thickness of a piece of paper

http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOM...ls&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=

Rhino.jpg

String stretches unless you use twine. You have to exert the same tension on the twine on each side for the measurement to be valid. Sure you can buy one of fancy couple hundred dollar alignment deals or you can spend $9.99 at Harbor Freight and get a digital venier caliper?

So here's a quick question on this topic: I went -1 on my rear sprocket today and when I came to doing the wheel alignment, I didn't go by the graduations on the swing-arm, but rather using a loop of string from round the front wheel and down to the back wheel as explained previously. I was kind of disbelieving in what I found, so I followed up by double checking measurements from the center of the swing arm pivot to the center of the axle which confirmed my readings with the string method. My question is this, I have a 190 tire on the rear and the chain clears it by less than a quarter of an inch, is this normal ? ???

I use the same tool as the Krause, but mine is made by motion pro. Works great but you really need to take off your chainguard to get best results. I used the caliper method as well before I got the other tool

I use the same tool as the Krause, but mine is made by motion pro. Works great but you really need to take off your chainguard to get best results. I used the caliper method as well before I got the other tool

But what clearance does your chain actually have ?

Back