Front sprocket thickness

Amelio

Registered
I just took my chain front and rear sprockets off to replace them........also found that the clutch pushrod seal is slightly weeping which sucks but I am not going to mess with it given what is involved to replace it.

I noticed the stock front sprocket is much thicker than the replacement JT sprocket I have......the teeth are the same width but just below the teeth the center section is a good bit thicker.

Do I need to shim out the replacement sprocket to ensure proper alignment of the chain to the rear sprocket? Or just simply replace it and that is that????

Also aluminum rear sprockets are no good........I changed just the rear sprocket about 1500 miles ago went up 3 teeth......it is worn out soo bad plus not to mention 2 teeth are broke off! I bought steelr JT sprockets to replace them

The aftermarket front sprocket you have is fine.
The rubber/plastic material in the center of the factory ones are supposedly to help with vibration. Myself, no one I know, or no where have I read that any diffrence between the two kinds is at all noticeable.:beerchug:

ok thats kinda what I thought but I wanted to hear from someone else before I put it back together.

Thank you

I just took my chain front and rear sprockets off to replace them........also found that the clutch pushrod seal is slightly weeping which sucks but I am not going to mess with it given what is involved to replace it.

I noticed the stock front sprocket is much thicker than the replacement JT sprocket I have......the teeth are the same width but just below the teeth the center section is a good bit thicker.

Do I need to shim out the replacement sprocket to ensure proper alignment of the chain to the rear sprocket? Or just simply replace it and that is that????

Also aluminum rear sprockets are no good........I changed just the rear sprocket about 1500 miles ago went up 3 teeth......it is worn out soo bad plus not to mention 2 teeth are broke off! I bought steelr JT sprockets to replace them
I've watched all my riding buds that used aluminum rear sprockets on high hp bikes go through hell. I've actually had teeth hit me coming off my buds bike in front, and we had to trailer several bikes home that sheared the teeth off the sprockets. Plus they just come apart super fast in general. New guys that don't know any better always like to run them on the street because they're "cool" and thats what racers use....on the track, and changed out pretty often :laugh: But they always seem to learn pretty fast like you did that long term street use on a heavy, torquey, high hp motor is a whole nother story.
I'll never run them :no:

200.gif

Back