Chain and sprocket alignment

bigone5500

Registered
So I have been using a product from Motion Pro that clamps onto the rear sprocket and has a metal rod that you sight along to check alignment. I have been very tedious with it but I guess not enough. I recently had to remove the rear wheel to repair a tire puncture and to my surprise the rear sprocket had a little wear to the inside edge. I have not really been keen on using the marks on the swingarm but I called and talked to the technician at the dealership where I bought the bike and he said that's the only way they align them. I said 'alrighty then'! After installing the wheel and getting ready to adjust it, I had a thought. What if I took a set of digital calipers and used the depth gauge on them and get the alignment exactly perfect? So I tried it and it couldn't have worked better. I installed my Motion Pro alignment tool and checked. It was right on the money. So I guess I got lucky there was only minimal wear to the sprocket.

Thought I'd post this and share my experience.

I don't take my alignment blocks off when I remove the rear tire but it's always a good thing to check for what you did and a good point.

I have that same Motion Pro tool and a digital caliper, the next time I do remove my alignment blocks, I'll check this out.

So I have been using a product from Motion Pro that clamps onto the rear sprocket and has a metal rod that you sight along to check alignment. I have been very tedious with it but I guess not enough. I recently had to remove the rear wheel to repair a tire puncture and to my surprise the rear sprocket had a little wear to the inside edge. I have not really been keen on using the marks on the swingarm but I called and talked to the technician at the dealership where I bought the bike and he said that's the only way they align them. I said 'alrighty then'! After installing the wheel and getting ready to adjust it, I had a thought. What if I took a set of digital calipers and used the depth gauge on them and get the alignment exactly perfect? So I tried it and it couldn't have worked better. I installed my Motion Pro alignment tool and checked. It was right on the money. So I guess I got lucky there was only minimal wear to the sprocket.

Thought I'd post this and share my experience.
I use a depth caliper gauge. Best way to do it in my opinion. Just remember to tighten thr axle a bit before you really start measuring. Otherwise one side will be shorter, I think the caliper side. Swingarm doesn't compress evenly.

I use a depth caliper gauge. Best way to do it in my opinion. Just remember to tighten thr axle a bit before you really start measuring. Otherwise one side will be shorter, I think the caliper side. Swingarm doesn't compress evenly.
I too found this out as I had tightened my chain and after torquing the axle it was way too tight.

Aside from a laser sight adjustment, it's very difficult to get perfect alignment.
Just keep in mind that measuring off of each side of the swingarm's rear end, even with calipers, only guarantees that the axle is square against those 2 ends.
If there is any variation in length from each side end of the swingarm, to it's pivot bolt where it attaches to the frame, or any significant swingarm bearing wear, then even thought the axle is square to the back of the swingarm, the chain alignment itself may not be perfectly straight.
I have also checked this and found it to be true, and also true against the hash marks on the swingarm.
But, regardless,I just go by the hash marks.
So long as you use the hash marks, and have proper chain slack, you will not have any major problems.
Sprocket wear is also easily noticeable at a quick glance, so any adjustment can be made as an uneven wear pattern begins.
I have seriously considered a laser alingment tool as well.
I don't need to spend the money over thinking the situation, but, am curious as to how precise the alignment could be.
Anyway, always make your best effort for proper chain alignment and slack...but don't over think it.
Chains and sprockets are meant to be replaced anyway.

Back