Speedo not registering.....

flombo13

Registered
.... any ideas folks?

When I turn on the ignition the needle does the normal (goes right up and back down)

However it stays at zero when the bike is moving!!!

:beerchug: for any help.

What year and is it under warranty ? If so take it to the dealer, if not try cleaning the pickup / speed sensor :thumbsup:

The pickup sensor is on the left side on the front sprocket cover. 1 allen bolt lets it come out to look at it. I had the same issue exept it was the tach and speedo not working after they cycled. I unhooked the dash and ecu for about 10 minutes and haven't had any issues since. It never did it until I put in my HID lights...now only running just the low beam. Not sure if that was the reason but hasn't happened again. Good luck..

The speedometer sensor is located on the sprocket cover.

SPEEDOMETER
If the speedometer, odometer or trip meter does not function properly, inspect the speedometer sensor and connection of couplers. If the speedometer sensor and connection are all right, replace the meter with a new one.

SPEEDOMETER SENSOR Follow this procedure;
  1. Remove the left cowling
  2. Disconnect speedometer sensor lead wire coupler
  3. Remove the speedometer sensor (#1) by removing its mounting bolt.
  4. Connect 12v battery (between B/R & B/W), 1O kΩ resister (between B/R & B) and the multi-circuit tester (+ probe of tester to B/R and - to B), as shown in illustration.
B/R: Black with Red Tracer
B/W: Black with White Tracer
B: Black

• Under above condition; if a suitable screwdriver touching the pick-up surface of the speed sensor is moved, the tester reading voltage changes (0V > 12V or 12V > 0V). If the tester reading does not change, replace the speedometer sensor with a new one.
NOTE:
The highest tester reading voltage (12V) while testing is same as battery voltage.

Speedo+Sensor+I+re1252618077.jpg

Speedo+Sensor+II+re1252618087.jpg

Speedo+Sensor+III+re1252618104.jpg

Speedo+Sensor+IV+re1252618116.jpg

Last edited:
Well before you goto the dealer try re-seating the connector on the gauge cluster. I had this issue just last week actually and called the all knowing 00TXBusa he fixed me right on up..

But yes just to recap mine was doing the norm up down.. then not budging while riding. I removed the cluster, unplugged then replugged the connector and boom the thing works like a charm.

Hope this helps you like it did me. :)

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! :bowdown::cheerleader:

:beerchug:

Thanks for all the help everyone :thumbsup:

It was water that was the problem, it was causing the sensor to short circuit. All re greased etc. Thats what they said anyway and it is working now.:cheerleader:

what value should multimeter Be set at for the speed sensor test
Posted via Mobile Device

Can someone put cookie's #6 post in lay mans terms? The voltometer I have is a cheapo from wal mart with a red wire probe and a black wire probe and two different dials.

Back