Special Forces

Moto -

Not sure what to tell you.. I think some others hit it on the head when they try to steer you away from special forces.. I am just not feeling it from you.

You are worried about doing more than 4 years of service.. You want to go straight into special forces..

You have to learn how to walk before you can run and you need to learn how to float before you can swim.

In my experience if you go into boot camp and you kick butt and excel you will have the chance to try out for special forces.

If you are good enough to make special forces you will be noticed.

Special forces in any branch is special for a few reasons, one being very few can make it through the training. I am only vaguely familiar with Navy Seals and Marine Recon.

You have to be a serious bad a$$ and a little whacked in the head to make it into either of those special forces.. I am guessing the Army and Air Force special forces are probably the same.

If you still want to pursue it I would recommend getting with a recruiter from which ever branch you want to go into and see if they can set you up to talk to someone who has been in special forces for awhile. Talk to them, get the straight scoop on what it is about..

But I think pretty much any of the branches don't want someone in THEIR special forces who only care about doing 4 years and getting out. It is pretty much a brother hood, that is one of those areas where it isnt just a job. it is a family and you are kind of family for life.. (just a wild guess, not that I really know anything)

Moto -

Not sure what to tell you.. I think some others hit it on the head when they try to steer you away from special forces.. I am just not feeling it from you.

You are worried about doing more than 4 years of service.. You want to go straight into special forces..

You have to learn how to walk before you can run and you need to learn how to float before you can swim.

In my experience if you go into boot camp and you kick butt and excel you will have the chance to try out for special forces.

If you are good enough to make special forces you will be noticed.

Special forces in any branch is special for a few reasons, one being very few can make it through the training. I am only vaguely familiar with Navy Seals and Marine Recon.

You have to be a serious bad a$$ and a little whacked in the head to make it into either of those special forces.. I am guessing the Army and Air Force special forces are probably the same.

If you still want to pursue it I would recommend getting with a recruiter from which ever branch you want to go into and see if they can set you up to talk to someone who has been in special forces for awhile. Talk to them, get the straight scoop on what it is about..

But I think pretty much any of the branches don't want someone in THEIR special forces who only care about doing 4 years and getting out. It is pretty much a brother hood, that is one of those areas where it isnt just a job. it is a family and you are kind of family for life.. (just a wild guess, not that I really know anything)

Well, chatting with you guys, maybe it's really NOT for me...:down:

I'm also thinking about staying reserve and going infantry/MP...(I think Military Police would be a BLAST!)

Are there any MP's here? Or know anything about it?

I've heard they do primarily guarding/policing around military installations, and that they ALSO do regular Infantry work also...(so it sounds like the best of both worlds)...

I'm still 18 and have SOOO many options, I'm just thinking about a little of everything. I don't want to get settled in doing something, and think (D@MN, if I'd only done...>fill in the blank<)

Who know's, maybe I'll enjoy my Corrections Deputy job enough I won't want to enlist anyway...our watch commander at the Sheriff Dept told us during the tour that he was former military (Navy I believe), and he said that military was fun...but that he LOVES his LE job in the jail, and that that job is just PLAIN FUN!

So who know's, I'm just trying to weigh all of my options...

Okay, now back to MP stuff...(any takers?) ???

On a serious note... The gung ho mentality for military service and special forces is commendable but fairly common. I think the desire to become a special forces badass runs through the minds of most people contemplating enlistment. If and when you do enlist, you will receive ample opportunity to try out for special forces indoctrination. The vetting process for special forces begins with a physical challenge. Exceptional physical conditioning will not guarantee success or acceptance. The mental toughness and persistence required to make it in these special services is beyond that which most possess, hence the high failure rate. If you think you can pass a "drown test" without freaking out or simply thrive in a constant mindfu*k for months of rigorous training before even getting tactical then go for it.. You will not know what you are capable or incapable of unless you give it a good honest try.
Speaking from experience, I agree with Revlis about the USAF's inherent fringe benefits. Aside from that fact, the day to day activities are more in line with business in the private sector to include the style of communications from peer to peer. Outside of basic, not much yelling is done in the AirForce in stark contrast to the other services.

When I was 18, I thought I wanted to be a Navy SEAL. I actually talked with one and he convinced me it most likely wasnt going to happen. I never did join the military.

I don't know you, but I understand you are fairly young. You have lots of time to try different things. If you make a wrong turn, you stiill have lots of time to find the right path.

If I could go back in time and tell myself something, it would be......."To thine own self be true". Know who you are, know you strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes.

My best friend in Colorado, has his Doctorate in Physics, I thought it was the ultimate achievement, he said it was possibly the worst mistake of his life. He did more intersting work with a Masters in physics (including examining a captured Russian satellite), he felt he had painted himself in a corner. The Doctorate gave him less choices. Think about the "View being worth the Climb", if it is.. do it.

I have good people skills, but they seem to dissolve when someone gets in my face. Obviously Navy Seal training involves not sleeping for days, extreme mental and physical exhaustion, I seriously doubt under such conditions, I could maintain a respectful attitude toward superiors yelling at me. This is obviously one of many reasons, it would have never been a good idea for me to try.

My boss is a former SEAL (Seal Team 8), sometimes management gets together for paintball or other physical activities, I cant wait to go up against him in one of these activities.

If I'm gonna get my arse kicked, who better than a former SEAL to do it:laugh:

Last edited:
Dude, ???
Oh yeah and talk to a recruiter so he can tell you what you wanna hear.

I was just going to say the same thing. The recruiter is just going to tell you what you want to hear to enlist you and the you are screwed..

Pretty sure that you can get a "try out" for the buds program that would eventually make you a SEAL with the navy. I think you can get this in your contract before you leave for boot camp. Make sure you meet all the quals i.e. they wouldn't let me play because I was color blind. Good luck man hope it works out for you.

Just make certain that "Special Forces" doesn't just mean "airborne" or "Ranger". Nothing wrong with the Rangers, not at all, but from experience the true Silent Professionals are the Green Berets, Rangers while highly effective and good at what they do are more Army Thug than Spec Ops. Tactics featuring SHOCK and Speed more than Silent and deadly... Handy if you need an Airfield secured though.

I did sleep like a baby sleeping on an airport ramp knowing that our perimeter was controlled by rangers though so by no means am I intending a slight. My point is the deep behind enemy lines winning of hearts and minds is left up to the Green Berets primarily.

FWIW I would talk to an Air Force Recruiter about Combat Controllers and Pararescue if what you are after is true gorilla tactics, and cream of the crop Spec Ops work. Besides, both the Combat Controllers and Pararescue make Green Berets look almost common based on numbers.

Pretty Sure you can do BOTH Combat Controller (FAC) and Pararescue (PJs) right outta basic training. BUT, you have to be in prime physical and mental condition and like all SOF forces you have to be of above average intelligence and temperament. (Rambo would have NEVER MADE IT)

Talk to an Air Force Recruiter and get some information before you sign anything with Army Green on it. Otherwise you might spend the next 4-8 years smacking yourself in the forehead every time you see Air Force troops "roughing it" or working side by side with the prettiest women in the military and eating the best Chow. :thumbsup:

Besides, nobody knows much about Combats Control, or Pararescue and there just aren't that many of them out there. But Day/night/HALO/LALO/fastrope/amphib/ any climate any conditions. Both Combat Control and the PJs get out there a lot. Nothing worse than being stuck with all the desire in the world to go do your real world job and no where to go...

Besides, Combat Controllers are also certified FAA Air Traffic Control. So after your 4-8 years of deployments with everyone from SEALs to Royal Commandos you'll have a legitimate shot of a starting job with the FAA at over $100K a year after some training...

So win win... Weather you decide "That Others May live" or "First There" you stand a good chance with AFSOC.

You know all those "cool" videos you see on Youtube of precision gun and bomb strikes at night against small villages and such? Well you hear a lot of chatter, but if you can sort it all out, many times you are listening to Air Crew communicating with a lone man or a couple of men behind enemy lines on the ground directing the placement of those precision munitions identifying targets etc...

Dang Rev, many thanks for giving the PJ's the seldomly received credit well overdue for their service as well, funny how most only think of a "few" SF teams when they think about this topic...I cant add anything to your accurate depiction of the services provided by these fine professionals, the only thing left is to support your narrative +10000000%

With that said, all SF have their specialties, the Beret is hard earned as well as the crested Eagle and the SF Lancet in the services, but without harranging too much on gp, I have to side with Projekt and the fellas on this one...you don't really seem like the type dude, this type of dedication is far BEYOND General Military service, indecisiveness is NOT a trait desired, respected or appreciated within the teams...if you want advice, forget the SOF Community...if you want to Serve then SERVE, from the grunt in the hole to the supply people ALL our Service people are worth their honor, and far beyond their weight in gold..just enlist and make your career once you have acclimated, if you want it bad enough, you can always apply to the teams later..good luck on your decision

Jeez, too much flip-flop. If you want to join the Reserve/ARNG, might I suggest a specialty that has a civilian job opportunity counterpart? Let the Army pay for your training, then use it to get a civilian job you enjoy. If you want to be a police officer/LEO, then I would suggest MP.

If later you wish to try out for SF or other SPECOPS, then you'll have some more years/age/maturity to make a better, more reasonable decision. It will not be easy and you will need more committment to a purpose then you currently display.

You need to do some more growing up first, grasshopper.

I have good people skills, but they seem to dissolve when someone gets in my face. Obviously Navy Seal training involves not sleeping for days, extreme mental and physical exhaustion, I seriously doubt under such conditions, I could maintain a respectful attitude toward superiors yelling at me. This is obviously one of many reasons, it would have never been a good idea for me to try.

Actually I joined BECAUSE I had a difficult time taking orders from anyone.

That wasn’t the only reason but that was a big reason.

I went into the Marine Corps when I was 21. before then I had worked many many jobs. I had done everything from work in a Circus, to working in warehouse loading trucks by hand, to getting my forklift operators license, to being a tree trimmer, to working in a convalescent hospital to.. I actually could go on and on.

The one thing most of those jobs had in common was once a supervisor started pissing me off I would quit. That day, I would say F U and just quit. I never took crap from anyone.

I realized eventually I could not go through life quitting whenever things got tough, whenever a superior pissed me off. I realized at some point I needed to learn to deal with situations.

My answer was joining the Marine Corps. I figured joining the Marines was my best chance of learning how to deal with situations and instead of quitting and running from the situation I would be FORCED to deal with it.

And believe it or not, at 21 that was probably one of the best decisions I had made in my life. It did exactly what I had intended it to. I was taught how to deal with situations.

Now I have learned I can work with anyone, and for anyone. I don’t care how much they F with me, how much I might dislike them, none of it matters. I do my job to the best of my ability and I separate my emotions from what I need to do.

That is something the Marines taught me. And for me, I don’t know if I could have personally learned that lesson any other way.

Actually I joined BECAUSE I had a difficult time taking orders from anyone.

That wasn’t the only reason but that was a big reason.

I went into the Marine Corps when I was 21. before then I had worked many many jobs. I had done everything from work in a Circus, to working in warehouse loading trucks by hand, to getting my forklift operators license, to being a tree trimmer, to working in a convalescent hospital to.. I actually could go on and on.

The one thing most of those jobs had in common was once a supervisor started pissing me off I would quit. That day, I would say F U and just quit. I never took crap from anyone.

I realized eventually I could not go through life quitting whenever things got tough, whenever a superior pissed me off. I realized at some point I needed to learn to deal with situations.

My answer was joining the Marine Corps. I figured joining the Marines was my best chance of learning how to deal with situations and instead of quitting and running from the situation I would be FORCED to deal with it.

And believe it or not, at 21 that was probably one of the best decisions I had made in my life. It did exactly what I had intended it to. I was taught how to deal with situations.

Now I have learned I can work with anyone, and for anyone. I don’t care how much they F with me, how much I might dislike them, none of it matters. I do my job to the best of my ability and I separate my emotions from what I need to do.

That is something the Marines taught me. And for me, I don’t know if I could have personally learned that lesson any other way.

Cool!:thumbsup:, I think at 18, I was a fairly normal "know it all kid", I was in good shape physically,(but most likely NOT good enough for the SEAL's), yep, I think service could have done some good for me as well, but didnt take that route.

I'm almost 45, 18 seems like a million years ago, but I remember it well, some memories are oohhh sooo sweeet.:laugh:

I remember how I knew it all, right into my twenties!

Some of my points are, many "special forces type people" have specific qualities in common. Team Player to an extreme degree is one of these. My nature is more "lone wolf", give me a task, Ill coordinate with others, but otherwise leave me alone. (I'm really more like a mad scientist).

Individuals can work to excel at things they arent naturally good at, but if you work at something that comes natural, thats where you will really shine.

I think my personality would not have been a good fit, for what the special forces needs. I have tried to be true to myself, life seems to feel like a better fit this way.

Last edited:
I spent 23 years in the Army Special Forces, so if I can help you in any way, just PM me.

And yes, after basic, AIT, MOS training and Jump School you can go to SF. What you really need to do is get with a recruiter and designate what you want as an MOS and once you qualify, then apply to SF School. You do want to speak another language or two don't you ? And I hope you enjoy going to school, after school, after school. What you might think SF is, probably might be what the Rangers Do. And NO the Seals don't have the same mission that SF does. So, get all the Facts first, then decide.
I'll have to say that there are only two types of people who are in SF.
Those who LOVE IT, and those who can't wait to move on.

As for me, well, 23 years says it all :thumbsup:

I spent 23 years in the Army Special Forces, so if I can help you in any way, just PM me.

And yes, after basic, AIT, MOS training and Jump School you can go to SF. What you really need to do is get with a recruiter and designate what you want as an MOS and once you qualify, then apply to SF School. You do want to speak another language or two don't you ? And I hope you enjoy going to school, after school, after school. What you might think SF is, probably might be what the Rangers Do. And NO the Seals don't have the same mission that SF does. So, get all the Facts first, then decide.
I'll have to say that there are only two types of people who are in SF.
Those who LOVE IT, and those who can't wait to move on.

As for me, well, 23 years says it all :thumbsup:

I made it to 25, but not in your line of work - Thanks for what you do - De Oppresso Libre!

As a reservist/national guard mp, the chances of you working the road in a garrison unit are slime to none, as there are still alot of active duty mp's that have yet to work the road in their careers. In the field/deployed I can vouch for the fact that we do more mission hours as a company than the entire infantry battalion here. Infantry still gets to do some cool stuff, while the MP's tend to work with the Iraqi Police so that one day we can get out of here.

My suggestion to you would be to grab an MOS you think you'll get something out of, but make sure in your enlistment contract that you are given airborne or ranger school..since those are still "high speed" (though definitaly not SF). You would go to those schools after you pass basic and AIT, so even if you did fail out of the specialized schools, you'd still retain your original job you enlisted for. Like all the above said, your best bet is to talk to a recruiter. They have a wealth of knowledge that alot of people don't, and they're not as evil as alot of people make them out to be. Just make sure if you sign the line you're getting what you want out of the deal instead of ended up on some dead-end job you hate that has no career outside the military. And most of all, good luck! :thumbsup:

What about the Coast Guard...

I'll pause to let you stop laughing...

Done?

OK, Seriously Nobody in armed forces conducts their REAL WORLD MISSION more often day in and day out than the US Coast Guard. Given the Department of Homeland insecurity they are busier and busier.

Many different missions, many of them involving more law enforcement type activities than you can shale a stick at and they are busy everyday.

Let me put it this way, if I hadn't of been land locked, and had I known ANYTHING about the Coast Guard, it's the way I would've likely served. Conducting real missions to protect and serve those who I care about, My Country and it's citizens.

So don't discount the Coast Guard, there is a lot of action to be had everyday.

What about the Coast Guard...

I'll pause to let you stop laughing...

Done?

OK, Seriously Nobody in armed forces conducts their REAL WORLD MISSION more often day in and day out than the US Coast Guard. Given the Department of Homeland insecurity they are busier and busier.

Many different missions, many of them involving more law enforcement type activities than you can shale a stick at and they are busy everyday.

Let me put it this way, if I hadn't of been land locked, and had I known ANYTHING about the Coast Guard, it's the way I would've likely served. Conducting real missions to protect and serve those who I care about, My Country and it's citizens.

So don't discount the Coast Guard, there is a lot of action to be had everyday.

Not to mention a bunch of really cool locations!

Special Forces is a way of life, not just a job so keep that in mind. While you may sign up for that with a recruiter there is absolutely no guarantee that you will make it through selection or qualification. You must be accepted into this community and that is an extremely challenging task to accomplish, both mentally and physically.

special forces is a way of life, not just a job so keep that in mind. While you may sign up for that with a recruiter there is absolutely no guarantee that you will make it through selection or qualification. You must be accepted into this community and that is an extremely challenging task to accomplish, both mentally and physically.

very true :beerchug:

Back