Someone got to point this out!

good topic and compelling points...I'm heading out today to buy new leathers...no more jeans for me...

I'm even going to put off my undertail mod (topgun) so I can buy new leather.

i think i would rather see someone wear jeans than shorts. i have seen someone on a cruiser wearing shorts and sandles. but don't get me wrong i still think that popper gear is better.

Only kind of jeans I wore were Draggin Jeans. If you wear some off the shelf store brand jeans like Guess, I am sure you can guess what you are going to look like after a nice slide. Imagine an bunch of rabid dogs mauling at your legs.
wow.gif

I am guilty of jeans but their the ICON Recon and timax jeans that i own and ride in. Their not as good as leather but they arent as bad as normal pants either. Been looking into a set of AGV sport rider vented leather pants.

I have the icon jeans; they have Kevlar and are great against road rash, but no impact absorbing anything inside. I bought the icon knee guards and wore them once, they were really uncomfortable and I couldn’t ride with them, if I could find a relatively inexpensive well fitting leather pants i would get them, I used to have the alpinestars bat pants but they just didn’t fit right, the waist was fine, but the length was way to long, the knee pads were at my shins...if anyone knows of a pair of leathers that fit well and don’t cost much let me know!

<!--EDIT|SPEEDEMON
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139948397 -->

In cooler weather i wear long underwear and Carhart brown duck work pants.
They are made of a ver tough brown duck canvas.The pants i ride in i make sure to keep clean and DONT wear them to work!
Works for me!
smile.gif

In cooler weather i wear long underwear and Carhart brown duck work pants.
They are made of a ver tough brown duck canvas.The pants i ride in i make sure to keep clean and DONT wear them to work!
Works for me!
smile.gif
I wear the ski pants during winter , over the jeans , for warmth . Work great for 20 degree mornings ... but still no protection ...
wow.gif

My neighbor dumped his ZRX going pretty good in jeans and slid on his butt for a long way and was sore but no real damage. Yeah, I know he was lucky.

I too get hot just in the jacket, gloves and helmet and couldn't imagine wearing leather pants as well. I was thinking about getting some sliding jeans as they have to be better then just regular denim.

I ware leathers all the time  
wink.gif
. Winter Leathers (much thicker) when it's 65 F and below, and my summer the rest of the time. As far as HEAT  
AAAssjani.gif
goes, I have never been bothered with my legs overheating, but my upper body, now that's another story
drooling3.gif
! I'am going to try some new tight pants and top this summer that's advertised for hot weather and see. I really don't understand how it works better than just a T Shirt, but I'am willing to give it a try.

If you think the chances of crashing on a little freeway trip are 20 %.
on the track 40%

Well , palomar montain would be 79%
Just check out one of motrfinger video.

You see parts on fairings on the side of the road .

and still you see this :

link

Just recently, I watched in disbelief, as a squid rode past me wearing...............
swim trunks, shower sandals and sunglasses. That was all!!!

All I could think was "That's gonna hurt if he stubs his toe!!"
wow.gif

man, when i was visiting miami in a recent trip, i was amazed at how many morons were riding around in shorts tanktop and sandals, and we wonder why bikers got a bad name
mad.gif

the one time in my life i didnt wear my jacket was the one time i crashed, i lost a bunch of skin on my left arm, it was a painfull but valuable lesson.

I don't get on a scooter without full protection, body armor and all. I've taken some nasty spills and thus far, always walked away with only bruises and a crushed ego. I have a stunt video that has a chubby little guy doing a stand up wheelie and lost it at about 40 mph. The impact of the pavement tore his left knee cap completely loose and his knee cap was flapping in the breeze like an injured duck. Just a cheap pair of Joe Rocket leather pants with armor and he would have been up and back on his bike rather than being hauled off in the meat wagon.

I personally see tons of guys in the summer with tennis shoes. You can and most likely will mess your feet up in a crash of any kind. No different than riding bare foot. In a crash, the tennis shoes are the first thing to go flying off like missles.

If you value your way of life today, before you invest in any mods for your bike, buy the best leathers and protection you can afford.

I read a post on here a short time ago, I don't remember the author, who came home from work on a hot summer day, took his work boots off and wore his tennis shoes (In his words it was just to hot for his boots) for a casual evening ride. If I remember correctly, he spent a very long time going from a wheel chair to crutches etc. He could no longer do his job and he was educating himself for a desk job?

I'm not sure most of us realize how quickly these two wheel bundles of fun can change our life forever. Sometimes with a devistating effect.

Our beloved busa is blazing fast. Reaching 100 mph in about three blinks of the eye. Just think, if you crash at this speed wearing jeans, you will have the opportunity to meet those beautiful women in sexy white uniforms. However, they will have scrub brushes. Scrubbing the dirt and grit out of raw wounds will not be a sexy experience for you. And, you'll get to spend months in the hospital getting skin grafts. From that moment on you won't be very attractive to the opposite sex once your trowsers are hanging on the bed post.

For goodness sake guys, buy yourself some "GOOD" gear to cover your body. I know it's hot and miserable in hot weather but everyone will crash, just a matter of time.

Go to this site
You'll see a series of photos of my son tucking the front on a corner at 100mph. Not a scratch on him and he was racing again the next day. Can you imagine cruising down the pavement in that position with jeans. He would have no butt cheeks today!

Someone should start a thread for guys who have crashed in jeans and or T-shirt and post photos? May make some jeans fella's rethink their riding atire?
I know the point you are trying to make,but just my .02 worth i don't agree with the statement everybody will crash,it's just a matter of time.
rock.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a calculated risk with me. Comfort versus safety? I have in fact lost a lot of flesh from my first accident in over thirty five years of riding. Yes it was painful picking scabs for a good three weeks but all my flesh grew back and I have no visible scars. I know it can happen when you least expect it but I do tend to drive more careful knowing that I don't have protective gear on. One thing I will never ride without is a full face helmet. My last one and only accident that helmet surely saved my life.

I believe it is possible to ride a bike and never go down for some riders but the odds are against that happening. I'm a gambling man when it comes to life. I shouldn't be in another accident for another thirty five years now. When your number is up it's up not matter what you wear.

<!--EDIT|Oldroller
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139965206 -->

At lake winnipesaukee in new hampshire, on the road going around the lake with lots of cars, bikers, and people, a guy just stood up on his seat, completely upright, and rode for a good 500 feet. I believe he was wearing some sneakers, a t-shirt, shorts, and a helmet. I was amazed he was alive.

<!--EDIT|kdawg31337
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139965496 -->

One question about the bodyarmor.  The armor protects impact, cool.

But what about roadrash?  How does that stuff hold up sliding on pavement?
Depends on the armor type.

Some is high-density foam that is designed for absorbing impact, not sliding. Some (like back or knee protectors for example) is polycarbonate, which you can hit and slide down the road with.

The armor I have (from Bohn) contains both impact-absorbing and sliding elements and is worn under leather which provides additional abrasion resistance for road rash prevention.

Take a look at what MotoGP riders wear and ask yourself why they wear it - and they're riding on tracks that typically have nice sandy run-offs and soft barriers, not sharp kerbs and SUVs.
Right on, it not the road I'm thinking about after the crash its going through what ever is on the side of the road at speed, sticks, glass, metal all that stuff people leave on the side of the roads.

My big ass will not yet fit in leathers. Meanwhile a jacket with some armor will do.
Shedding shedding shedding getting ready for spring tough

Back