Someone got to point this out!

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
I have noticed in several post lately that members and friends are out on rides with jeans on. If any of you have seen first hand how well jeans do in a accident you would most likely wear something else.
You all have spent so good cash to get a nice and fast bike, time to protect the person riding that bike, put those leathers on! I know I’m not your dad or mom, but we want to keep all our members healthy too.
My wife went down at I would say no more than 20mph and the jeans she was wearing ripped to pieces, the Joe Rocket Textile jacket only had light scratches on it, even the bike only had surface marks on it.

this is true jeans don't cut it but I'm also a jean wearer been down once it wasn't pretty knees took a bad beating
wink.gif
don't know why i never picked up some leather
rock.gif

Pants.jpg

these are breathable lycra long johns with comfortable armor in the vulnerable areas:

Knee-shin
Hips
Thigh
Tailbone
(this is usually the first area that hits in a fall)
(an impact on the hip bone can be really painful)
(thigh and leg muscles are easily bruised deeply)
(landing on your tailbone makes your eyes water!)

You really can wear your normal jeans over the top, and they're very comfortable - you can wear them all day - both on the bike and walking around.

A nice touch is that although the armor is high grade, you cannot see that I have anything on underneath - so it's my little secret!

I agree about the jeans.
In my Feb 10th New England photo I am wearing jeans, but I have 2 additional protective layers underneath.
For warmth and protection.
They wouldn't fit underneath my leathers so jeans it had to be.

I'm guilty as charged
sad.gif
... I do wear draggin' jeans, but even so, I know they don't provide as much protection as leathers. I will be looking into some comfortable and flexible leather pants for this riding season. I'd appreciate any recommendations or advice.

Just like Icemann said, you don't really know who's got what under those jeans.

This season, I've got the Icon setup using padding and armor in the 'right' places.

And just because you see me riding with the hockey jersey, or the oversized t-shirt, doesn't mean I'm not protected underneath.

i hate to admit it, but i wear jeans too. i think i am just affraid of the heat durring riding season. i love to take long rides, and i love hot weather. how does a full set of leathers feel in those conditions. i know that my leather jacket gets darn hot. thanks

these are breathable lycra long johns with comfortable armor in the vulnerable areas:

Knee-shin
Hips
Thigh
Tailbone
(this is usually the first area that hits in a fall)
(an impact on the hip bone can be really painful)
(thigh and leg muscles are easily bruised deeply)
(landing on your tailbone makes your eyes water!)

You really can wear your normal jeans over the top, and they're very comfortable - you can wear them all day - both on the bike and walking around.

A nice touch is that although the armor is high grade, you cannot see that I have anything on underneath - so it's my little secret!
where does one get such things iceman?
rock.gif

I'm guilty as charged
sad.gif
... I do wear draggin' jeans, but even so, I know they don't provide as much protection as leathers. I will be looking into some comfortable and flexible leather pants for this riding season. I'd appreciate any recommendations or advice.
Fellas here pointed out Alpinestars Bat Pants. Seem like the perfect pant (when it's cool weather?)

I don't get on a scooter without full protection, body armor and all. I've taken some nasty spills and thus far, always walked away with only bruises and a crushed ego. I have a stunt video that has a chubby little guy doing a stand up wheelie and lost it at about 40 mph. The impact of the pavement tore his left knee cap completely loose and his knee cap was flapping in the breeze like an injured duck. Just a cheap pair of Joe Rocket leather pants with armor and he would have been up and back on his bike rather than being hauled off in the meat wagon.

I personally see tons of guys in the summer with tennis shoes. You can and most likely will mess your feet up in a crash of any kind. No different than riding bare foot. In a crash, the tennis shoes are the first thing to go flying off like missles.

If you value your way of life today, before you invest in any mods for your bike, buy the best leathers and protection you can afford.

I read a post on here a short time ago, I don't remember the author, who came home from work on a hot summer day, took his work boots off and wore his tennis shoes (In his words it was just to hot for his boots) for a casual evening ride. If I remember correctly, he spent a very long time going from a wheel chair to crutches etc. He could no longer do his job and he was educating himself for a desk job?

I'm not sure most of us realize how quickly these two wheel bundles of fun can change our life forever. Sometimes with a devistating effect.

Our beloved busa is blazing fast. Reaching 100 mph in about three blinks of the eye. Just think, if you crash at this speed wearing jeans, you will have the opportunity to meet those beautiful women in sexy white uniforms. However, they will have scrub brushes. Scrubbing the dirt and grit out of raw wounds will not be a sexy experience for you. And, you'll get to spend months in the hospital getting skin grafts. From that moment on you won't be very attractive to the opposite sex once your trowsers are hanging on the bed post.

For goodness sake guys, buy yourself some "GOOD" gear to cover your body. I know it's hot and miserable in hot weather but everyone will crash, just a matter of time.

Go to this site http://studio819.smugmug.com/gallery/584447
You'll see a series of photos of my son tucking the front on a corner at 100mph. Not a scratch on him and he was racing again the next day. Can you imagine cruising down the pavement in that position with jeans. He would have no butt cheeks today!

Someone should start a thread for guys who have crashed in jeans and or T-shirt and post photos? May make some jeans fella's rethink their riding atire?

One question about the bodyarmor. The armor protects impact, cool.

But what about roadrash? How does that stuff hold up sliding on pavement?

Full leathers, body armor, boots, gloves and a helmet all the time, even for quick trips.

You're going to spend all that money on a bike and skimp on personal protection?

i always wear jeans... i've crashed a few times with no road rash really. One time i got flung off the bike though and hit hard at about 50 mph and had some bumps on my knees, the jeans didnt tear though. i still wear them lol

One question about the bodyarmor.  The armor protects impact, cool.

But what about roadrash?  How does that stuff hold up sliding on pavement?
Depends on the armor type.

Some is high-density foam that is designed for absorbing impact, not sliding. Some (like back or knee protectors for example) is polycarbonate, which you can hit and slide down the road with.

The armor I have (from Bohn) contains both impact-absorbing and sliding elements and is worn under leather which provides additional abrasion resistance for road rash prevention.

Take a look at what MotoGP riders wear and ask yourself why they wear it - and they're riding on tracks that typically have nice sandy run-offs and soft barriers, not sharp kerbs and SUVs.

ICON MAKES A NICE SET OF RIDING GEAR. THEY COME WITH ALL THE ARMOR,AND THEY KEEP YOU COOLER THEN JEANS DO IN THE SUMMER MONTHS.

Depends on the armor. The stuff I have has a hard outer shell which will slide for a bit, and has padding underneath to absorb impact.

Nothing is going to be as good as FULL LEATHERS FOR FULL COVERAGE, but it's an individual decision you have to make for yourself.

I guess there are some risks I am willing to take, and some I am not.

To each his own.

Do you wear your seat belt?

One question about the bodyarmor.  The armor protects impact, cool.

But what about roadrash?  How does that stuff hold up sliding on pavement?
Depends on the armor type.

Some is high-density foam that is designed for absorbing impact, not sliding. Some (like back or knee protectors for example) is polycarbonate, which you can hit and slide down the road with.

The armor I have (from Bohn) contains both impact-absorbing and sliding elements and is worn under leather which provides additional abrasion resistance for road rash prevention.

Take a look at what MotoGP riders wear and ask yourself why they wear it - and they're riding on tracks that typically have nice sandy run-offs and soft barriers, not sharp kerbs and SUVs.
I've got a 2 piece leather suit(zips) and a one piece suit.  I'm considering getting the adventure pants or cool-air one to go under my one piece suit for extra impact protection, that armor looks comfortable
biggrin.gif

But thinking about the guys who want to ride in jeans and use the body armor.  Doesn't sound like there is much sliding protection.  Everyone rides on the freeway, so your going to want some sliding protection.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139943765 -->

I wear jeans, ICON Recon jeans and Draggin Jeans with knee armour...
I bought a pair of leather pants, but couldn't find a size that fit right, so I had to get as close as I could and have to have them fixed by a tailor or seamstress.

Back