Riding pants inquiry.....

lavinrac

Lav's towin service.
Donating Member
Registered
I am seriously looking at getting some riding pants/jeans/leather/whatever. Since I have never purchased these things obviously I have a few questions.

I do not do track days, I pretty much tool around everywhere I go.. So I don't think I need a full on leather racing suit. I do think I need something a little sturdier than your run of the mill pair of jeans.

I have been looking at tons of different pants and trying to determine which would be better for my riding style.

I have been looking at the textile alot and have found both:

AGV Sport - Textile Pants - Telluride Textile Pants

and

Cortech by Tour Master HRX Series 2 Motorcycle Pants :: New Enough

While I don't know anything about these things maybe im looking in the wrong "type" of pant protection.

While I know leather is the best and your birthday suit is the worst what rates in the middle? Who makes the best product without having to get a full on racing im gonna lay my bike down at 300mph option?

If I was to order it online would I use my normal pants sizes? smaller? larger? boots where just plain odd.

Pretty much I am just looking for something that will give me much better protection than my normal hole in the left knee jeans, yet still be able to be comfortable enough to be in them for those occasional riding stints.

Any and all advice is welcome.

The only thing that is going to be as comfortable as jeans are those draggin' jeans. I wear Firstgear HT over-pants myself, and love em. They are fairly comfortable when broken in and they soften up. Plus, you can wear whatever you want under them. And with those and my Firstgear jacket I am completely waterproof :)

The only thing that is going to be as comfortable as jeans are those draggin' jeans. I wear Firstgear HT over-pants myself, and love em. They are fairly comfortable when broken in and they soften up. Plus, you can wear whatever you want under them. And with those and my Firstgear jacket I am completely waterproof :)

Thank you for the info. I don't find jeans comfortable either personally but I wont ride in shorts. By comfort I mean wont keep me all bound up in the fetal position while I have them on.

Joseph, the best advice I can give you is to go to Cycle Gear and try some on. I have a set of the Frank Thomas leathers, jacket and pants, and they are awesome. They loosen up after they get wet, ride in the rain or hose yourself off and go for a ride. The only best bet is try on what you are looking at before you spend your money.

Well generally it is outside town and try to find a road that isnt perfectly straight.. I tool around literally. little over the limit on the country roads just all around fun. :) There are obviously short jaunts of speed thrown in there.

I would be your average knee dragger if the road would get about 2 ft closer. :rofl:

Joseph, the best advice I can give you is to go to Cycle Gear and try some on. I have a set of the Frank Thomas leathers, jacket and pants, and they are awesome. They loosen up after they get wet, ride in the rain or hose yourself off and go for a ride. The only best bet is try on what you are looking at before you spend your money.

I figured I would hit up cycle gear but minus full blown leathers I was kinda curious what would be the next best thing.. Don't get me wrong if leathers are what I get then that is what I get..

Im in a debate right now really trying to see what is out there and what people think and what is better than what.. One day ill hit up a track day.. but I don't know when.. So im torn between leathers for the when it comes or something else for my normal im on the street riding. I am checking options. :beerchug:

Over pants are the ticket. They come with armor in all the right places, have waterproof/insulated zip-in liner for cold weather, and you can wear whatever you want underneath.
With my over-pants, I often ride the bike to work with my suit and tie underneath.
I wear Olympia brand overpants, but here are many good brands.

I have Draggin' jeans, and find them uncomfortable unless I wear long underwear under them - the Kevlar is an irritant.

CW

Last edited:
Draggin Jeans!
Draggin' Jeans

When i'm not in leather this is what i wear. Been wearing them for years and very comfortable. I went down in a pair of these and the Kevlar in the knee did not tear! I came away with nothing more than a bad rug burn on my knees. Clean wound and healed quickly.

Go with leather imo. It's the best protection you can get. After you break it in and as long as your moving its realy not that bad.

I have ICON mesh riding pants with armor...they are surprisingly warm in colder riding, and do help keep you cool when it's hot. I've never tested how durable they'd actually be, and hope I never do, but they are comfy and were a good price on newenough.com...

I have an ICON Recon jeans and also a SHIFT LoPro kevlar-reinforced jeans. I like the SHIFT better

summertime everyday riding with the wifey, we both wear joe rocket two piece mesh suits.

summertime fun riding and wintertime riding, we both wear joe rocket leathers

I have First Gear TPG pants and they are great. They ave knee and hip armour,are waterproof and have very long side zippers that let you slip them on and off easy.

I wear Joe Rocket mesh over pants that zip all the way up the leg and are padded and waterproof and the best thing is I wear shorts under them all times of the year... These are great.:thumbsup:

Back