I think I saw someone Die today on our ride.....Please read.

rashad

Registered
Morning. The beginning.

There was Rouns, A tall lanky kid ATGATT with leather suit, well worn pucks, and a 954 fireblade. This guy cannot be followed on a busa (or anything really) in the tight roads we were on. He likes to ride Deal's Gap.

Me. Busa with a squared off rear Shinko 009 that I just noticed cords are showing on. (Getting replaced tuesday), the beginning signs of carpal tunnel and the desire to keep riding anyway. (im 27 and waking up with numb arms).

Jake and his girl on his F4i. Kindof a loudmouth but he means well. He can inspire the type of Ego battle that can be dangerous on motorcycles.

Ray on the ZX14. He rides it like its a 600 in the twisties. Been riding for a long time. Owned a Blackbird and the 200and somethingth RC51 ever made here, among other bikes.

Kevin. Got into trackdays recently and rides a 636 Kawi.

Kimberly. Kevin's fiancee (for another week!) CANAM SPYDER. This gets all the attention anywhere we go! Oh and its for sale. She wants to step up to two wheels and get an sv650.

Ok..the story.. which I will never forget...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We rode every back road in Jersey Shore, PA.. It was such a good day. I was really leaning and feeling great about keeping up and feeling more comfortable on the bike. I have put about 2000 miles in less than a month on it.

We eventually hit a rode that felt like a goat path and I think I lost some fillings. We pulled over at a really nice Campground with a bridge and creek and water pump. They even had a nice recyclable toilet that turned poop into topsoil.:thumbsup:

After a few minutes a few Harleys came roaring by in a clatter that made all the kids run and scream. One of them dragged his 600.00 pipes after going around the turn off the bridge. We laughed, made jokes and proceeded to make topsoil before heading off again.

About 10 miles or so down the road I am doing really well in keeping up with Ray. I had this feeling though.. in my gut. And as I type this its the first time since, that I thought about that feeling. The kind where you know something is wrong.

Weird. I remember THINKING... "Something's wrong."

Mainly because Jake was way behind me. Hes too competitive for that. Even with his girl on the back. I slowed down a bit to see if I could see them. Nothing. Ray slowed a bit but then we saw something shiny (turn) and sped up again.

That's when we saw them.

I first noticed an attractive woman...then a girl. Both locals, outside their house.. Ray slowed and flipped up his visor. I heard them but not clearly.

Then I looked ahead. In the road, there was a group of people. They were gathered in the middle of the road in a bit of a circle... I knew something bad had happened.

As we got closer.. Even as Jake and Kim and Kevin all pulled up behind us... That feeling returned. I remember feeling sick... then adrenaline...

As we approached the scene I saw two things:

1.) The wrecked Harley on the left side of the road still laying there.

2.) The expression on people's face.

Ray and I both slowed down again, but they waved us on hastily. They didnt want us to stop. There was no Ambulance. Just people... bikers. And a few cars that had pulled over. They waved us on as if there was nothing that could be done....

I looked. I shouldn't have...but I did. I will NEVER EVER FORGET what I saw. There lay one of the Harley guys that had passed us. NO helmets. One guy even had no shirt on... He laid on his back. They had tried to cover him up. His friends. His riding buddies..helpless. There was a thick pool of blood underneath him that seemed to be the length of his body. It started at the back of his head....

All that I saw in passing. I wanted to cry. I wanted to sell my bike. I wanted to just stop. Call me a wuss.. whatever. I dont care. Until you see something like that IN REAL LIFE... as you are DOING what he did to die... its not the same... For some reason that really hit me hard.

After praying, I saw Ray pull over and I did the same. We talked about it. Kim is actually certified and pulled over but they said the ambulance was coming and that she should go...She said he didnt look good.

Guys... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... I know its preached everywhere..but always wear your helmet.

That would have saved his life.

I will never be the same. God Bless.

WOW! speechless, that will also make you think twice about what we love to do(ride), Prayers for the family. R I P!

That is something that you will never forget but it can help you grow as a rider. We know the risks we take everytime we get on a bike, but those that have learned from others minimize the risks to ourselfs and others by what we wear and how we ride.
My prayers to that ones family...and for you , that you can in time dull the event in your mind that you witnessed.

I am sorry you had to see that. The truth is we are all in the reapers path. It doesn't have to be our fault or, like in this case, it might be. But if you ride a bike, tell your loved ones you love them before you get on your bike and ride off. It happens that fast.

Rashad, Hey, Im sorry you seen that stuff, Im sure it will always be a reminder to you, how important it is to ride safe,and with all gear, and just more proof that a bike is not a toy.. You told the members what its like to see IN REAL LIFE, I hope it helps other riders. And your not a wuss by no means.. Not at all guy...This is just really sad.. Ride safe you.. Much love to ya... Kare

Another lesson learned for all of us. Thanks for sharing and God bless, and prayers to his family. Motorcycling is a dangerous sport, no matter how you try to justify it.

I see it all the time.... not fun. For the life of me, I do not understand the lack of helmet laws in this country. Seat belt law but no helmet law.... go figure. ???

Thank you so much guys... I reallly appreciate your empathy and I hope that never happens on one of your rides. I think the real victim here is his family.. I just hope his buddies learned about helmets today...

Trekkie...Ironically.. We passed a "Seat Belt Checkpoint" on our ride...

where did this happen u said the jersey shore? my girl works down there on the weekends at the jersey shore.

jersey shore pennsylvania.. not sure why its called that.. but its a small town. It was on route 287...out where there is no cell service.

Sad, sad story. RIP fallen brother.

where did this happen u said the jersey shore? my girl works down there on the weekends at the jersey shore.

And no, I think he means the town Jersey Shore. It's smack dab in the middle of the woods/ mountains PA. Not even close to a beach.

Reality Check, and another reason to be a person of faith.........In this country that faith should be elementary as to which "faith"

Life is short and we are fixated, engrossed, fanatical about this sport we so love, until the reality of our frailty, or weakness manifests itself in these horriffic events that befall us or take place in our lives.

When one stands in front of a loved ones casket does not that one hope for a reunion with that loved one?

All I know is, I am no saint and I am a sinner, but I must convey to any & all that which I understand to be most important in times like these.

Reality Check, and another reason to be a person of faith.........In this country that faith should be elementary as to which "faith"

Life is short and we are fixated, engrossed, fanatical about this sport we so love, until the reality of our frailty, or weakness manifests itself in these horriffic events that befall us or take place in our lives.

When one stands in front of a loved ones casket does not that one hope for a reunion with that loved one?

All I know is, I am no saint and I am a sinner, but I must convey to any & all that which I understand to be most important in times like these.

Amen and +100000:please:

FYI, Ray..Kevin..and Kim are 7th Day adventists so they carried their own gas in the frunk of the spyder since they cant do business on saturday. They are pros at packing correctly!

As hard as it may be don't think of the "that could be me" BS. Because I would bet that if that had been your accident instead of his (in your gear) you would have stood right up and walked away from it with nothing more than a bruised ego.

He was obviously "one of those guys" who goes around saying the gubnent better not tell me I need to wear a helmet. I'll wear one when I choose to. Well, he chose not to. And just keep in mind he was the idiot that made that decision. You are smart enough and no better so don't degrade yourself by comparing yourslef to "that guy."

You play and you pay accordingly, and pay dearly he did.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that some folks only learn from first hand experience (a.k.a. the hard way). Sad truth is that negative reinforcement in this classroom often results in fatality so there aren't many 2nd chances.

I had a friend get in a pretty good wreck about 2 months. He was wearing a leather jacket, helmet and jeans. The helmet saved him from being at best a vegetable for the rest of his life and since he was tangled in a little barbed wire, the jacket protected him from potentialy life threatening cuts. A week later a kid that witnessed the event with me was reprimanded (we're all military) for not using his helmet while ridding...

some folks just don't get it...

Sorry you had to see that, I'm sure it was a wrap on a day of fun and that sucks. When I was out yesterday saw a guy on a 600 gixxer he had helmet and gloves but his girl who I might add was very attractive had tube top cutoff shorts and flipflops on and I'm thinking WTF. Thats right I could see her pretty face because she had no helmet. No helmet laws here but don't get caught without that seatbelt.

Indeed, you will never be the same.

I was one of those guys who just got lucky. All the times 20+ years ago when I didn't use a helmet. I merely survived, I have no doubt.

Now, I don't get on the bike without all the gear. I dumped the Busa at the end of last year. First wreck in nearly 20 years. Looking at all the MINOR damage the gear suffered, makes me realize just how much pain I did NOT have to endure just because of a little leather and plastic covering me up.

Every time I see a GP race on T.V. where some guy goes down at 100+ mph and gets up steaming mad and unhurt makes me realize just what I want to have happen to me when or if I have a spill: nothing at all. Except a bruised ego, that is.

I'm sorry you had to see that wreck, that death or serious injury. It has changed you forever, no doubt. But I'm glad to see that you're turning it to yours and the others' benefit.

--Wag--

Back