Well, i got that out of the way...

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Live in a very flat area, not much experience starting off uphill. Was stopped at stop sign at top of a hill, and started off going right. Didn't apparently give it enough gas, and it died as I started forward. Leaning right, rolling forward, engine in gear and no power equals rear tire bites and front of bike dives towards ground! NOT good, especially for a petite white boy of 5' 8" and 165 lbs dripping wet. I grabbed front brake and clutch and planted my right leg, but sure as heII I can't one-legged press 500 lbs starting from a 45 degree angle. I succeded in delaying the inevitable enough that it kind of rolled over rather than crashing over, finally planting me gently on the pavement beside it. Not that it would have mattered in this case but I was wearing the Shoei, First Gear leather jacket, First Gear Fuel pants and Alpinestar Gore-Tex boots like I always do. And I was literally two blocks from getting home when it happened!
Had no forward motion when it went down, so no scars but rather tiny pock marks. I went to the Color Rite web site and ordered the O.E.M. black, gray, and clearcoat touchup pens ($50!), anybody got skills in this area to suggest best way to go about making it look better? I have no idea, any help would be appreciated.
First picture 3 feet away, others up close (did you know there was BLUE in this color black?!?)

P.S.- I DID pick the bike up after I got up! That thing is heavy...
eek2.gif

<!--EDIT|Shibumi
Reason for Edit: "P.S."|1152140964 -->

Rash1.JPG

That looks more like your decal got scruffed rather than paint?
Actually decal is perfect, that is a reflection of a metal fan in my shop!

Hold it, by decal do you mean the kanji, or is the big stripe graphic actually a decal?

<!--EDIT|Shibumi
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152141262 -->

that is EXACTLY what happened to me last week.  My driveway is uphill and I have to turn right onto the street and it stalled.  I have exp starting off uphill.  My prob was I didn't let the engine heat up enough.  My fairing looked exactly like that in every way in the exact spots.  I had a Corvette shop wet sand & buff mine.  You can hardly tell now.  $65 + tax.  Sorry that happened to you

<!--EDIT|thismonsterlives
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152141565 -->

the touch up pens are just going to turn into a nightmare . I doubt that they even match correctly. Then application is another thing altogether. There is no way to apply it evenly . I ordered the Blue pearl , the Sonic Silver and the clear coat touch up pens and man neither color matched . Not even close. If you can't buff it out then find yourself a good painter...my 2 cents.

that is EXACTLY what happened to me last week. My driveway is uphill and I have to turn right onto the street and it stalled. I have exp starting off uphill. My prob was I didn't let the engine heat up enough. My fairing looked exactly like that in every way in the exact spots. I have a Corvette shop wet sand & buff mine. You can hardly tell now. $65 + tax. Sorry that happened to you
Sucks, don't it? I was kinda bummed last night when I got home, but not so much today.
Nice price on the repair job, I might check around local shops to see what they could do with the touchup paint, clear and their sanding ability. Riding it no one will notice it now, but I will know it's not the same.

the touch up pens are just going to turn into a nightmare . I doubt that they even match correctly. Then application is another thing altogether. There is no way to apply it evenly . I ordered the Blue pearl , the Sonic Silver and the clear coat touch up pens and man neither color matched . Not even close. If you can't buff it out then find yourself a good painter...my 2 cents.
Did you order yours from Color Rite? They are supposed to be the original paint.
rock.gif

that is EXACTLY what happened to me last week.  My driveway is uphill and I have to turn right onto the street and it stalled.  I have exp starting off uphill.  My prob was I didn't let the engine heat up enough.  My fairing looked exactly like that in every way in the exact spots.  I have a Corvette shop wet sand & buff mine.  You can hardly tell now.  $65 + tax.  Sorry that happened to you
Sucks, don't it? I was kinda bummed last night when I got home, but not so much today.
 Nice price on the repair job, I might check around local shops to see what they could do with the touchup paint, clear and their sanding ability. Riding it no one will notice it now, but I will know it's not the same.
yeah it sucks bad. I was holding it for dear life and it slowly went down. I picked it right up and jumped on and rode it anyway. Mine looks good after the repair but knowing it's there is really bumming me out. I may ask Santa for a new right panel this xmas.

Yeah, but then you gotta hope the paint matches up- screw it, ask Santa for a custom paint job as long as you're askin...
tounge.gif

Back