Somebody Tell Me Why Kickstands Don't Lock Down...

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Another banged up Busa :banghead: Nobody on or near it and with my back to it I heard the thud. (Sick sound if you have ever had the pleasure) Contacted MRCycles (sponser) and have new plastic bits on the way. They are great to work with! The parts list from this has been done before so I won't repost. Here's the pics to not get flamed.

Oh and a Two Brothers Carbon Slip On set is replacing both cans since the left single is a mind blowing $900!!! Also got a Pitt Bull forward handle lift coming to park this thing now!

Now just gotta figure out how to take the whole thing apart.

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

That sucks bro. I am sorry to see those pics.

No kickstand mod required. Follow these simple steps:

1. Leave the bike in gear. (Critical!)
2. Shut off motor.
3. Let out clutch.
4. Let the bike roll until it stops.
5. Put stand down.
6. Dismount.

Walk away knowing it ain't gonna tip over.

(To sum up, they fall over when you park in neutral.)

--Wag--

Sorry to see that. For what it's worth, I NEVER park downhill, Keep the bike in first gear, I ALWAYS allow the busa to roll forward taking all the slack out of the drivetrain before putting down on the kickstand, and I ALWAYS put my foot up against the bottom of the kickstand and pull toward me while getting off the bike to assure the kickstand is all the way in position. Most here have done the above mentioned kickstand mod, however I have not and have never had an issue using the above parking method.

2. Shut off motor.
3. Let out clutch.
5. Put stand down.
6. Dismount.

--Wag--
+ 1!
My buddies laugh at me, but I also ALWAYS bend over and use my hand to put the kickstand down. That way you can feel it click into place!

2. Shut off motor.
3. Let out clutch.
5. Put stand down.
6. Dismount.

--Wag--

This is the technique I use and it has never failed; good luck on getting your ride back in shape....

Been there many of times. the first time is the worst. At least you have the cash to fix it fast. Sorry to hear.

2. Shut off motor.
3. Let out clutch.
5. Put stand down.
6. Dismount.

--Wag--

That's the ticket...

Sorry for your misfortune :(

Sorry to see that. For what it's worth, I NEVER park downhill, Keep the bike in first gear, I ALWAYS allow the busa to roll forward taking all the slack out of the drivetrain before putting down on the kickstand, and I ALWAYS put my foot up against the bottom of the kickstand and pull toward me while getting off the bike to assure the kickstand is all the way in position. Most here have done the above mentioned kickstand mod, however I have not and have never had an issue using the above parking method.

I haven't done the mod either and my steps are very similar to yours. :beerchug:

Thanks for the props, but I still wonder why they don't have a solenoid that is normally de-energized in the extended position to lock the kickstand in the extended position. If it ever failed to retract when you started the bike, you could just push the pin in manually to lift the side stand. Total for the fall was around 3K. Can't imagine that a single solenoid would add more than 20 to 30 bucks and maybe 1lb of weight. Would have saved mine...

2. Shut off motor.
3. Let out clutch.
5. Put stand down.
6. Dismount.

--Wag--

+1

Works for me too...3 Busa's and no kickstand mods.

Very sorry to see this bro. I am paranoid about mine. I always leave her on the rear stand at home and under a cover. Anywhere else I check it a couple of times before I walk away from her.

2. Shut off motor.
3. Let out clutch.
5. Put stand down.
6. Dismount.

--Wag--

+1

And I always put the kickstand down, then pull the bike backwards on the stand to make sure it's in the right position. I am amazed how many people have problems with bikes falling over on the kickstand.

That blows goats!!! :banghead:

This is actually my first bike without a center stand. Nine times outta ten, I would park my bikes on their center stands for the best protection against a tip over. I'm still paranoid when I walk away from the Hayabusa. I'm now considering that kick stand mod. Hmmm....???

It sure would make sense to have the stand "lock" into place, so that it would take some effort to pull it up.

Sorry to see that, but glad you can get her fixed.

Back