Soldier on Mid Tour leave dies 18 SEP

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
ARMY PRELIMINARY LOSS REPORT 08182POM ACCIDENT CLAIMS ONE SOLDIER’S LIFE
A 5th Engineer Battalion, MNC-I, Soldier on mid-tour leave was killed in a motorcycle accident on 18 September 2008 at approximately 1523 local near Savoy, Illinois. The 25-year-old SPC was riding a borrowed 2006 Suzuki motorcycle when he collided with an oncoming vehicle that was turning left across traffic in front of him. The Soldier died at the scene. He was not wearing a helmet nor had he completed the Army-approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course...

Was he even licensed? I hate line of duty investigations sometime, but this one would have been pretty straight forward.

Does not have to be "Line of Duty" for SGLI. SGLI is just a life insurance policy for the service member. Much like the cheap policy most employers provide for their employees. When I got out mine was converted to VGLI and I am still covered.
RIP Soldier.
Prayers for the family

Does not have to be "Line of Duty" for SGLI. SGLI is just a life insurance policy for the service member. Much like the cheap policy most employers provide for their employees. When I got out mine was converted to VGLI and I am still covered.
RIP Soldier.
Prayers for the family

What do you think about VGLI - I'm in the 90 day window to convert

RIP Soldier.
Prayers for the family

I have seen families denied because the servicemember was not in the line of duty.

What do you think about VGLI - I'm in the 90 day window to convert

It is cheap as hell. I think I still only pay like $6 month for $50,000. Do it. Every little bit helps and for the cost hell why not. you can't even hardley get a pack of smokes fo rthat now days.

I have seen families denied because the servicemember was not in the line of duty.

That sux. Back when I was in (23 years ago) it did not matter. It was life insurance and all they cared about was the fact that you were DEAD.
Hope it his family does not get screwed like that.:please:

That sux. Back when I was in (23 years ago) it did not matter. It was life insurance and all they cared about was the fact that you were DEAD.
Hope it his family does not get screwed like that.:please:

Rightly or wrongly it is taken very seriously. Hope it doesn't happen too, but tend to think that's what will happen.

Cagers will turn left in front of you even if you're on a borrowed bike.

If that is what happens, all I can ask is "What have we come to in todyas world??"

the family will not get his SGLI... since he was not wearing the helmet and did not have the MSF coarse, he was considered being neglegent and the army wont pay for it. there is a girl out here that wrecked a bike, hit a car head-on, flew over tha car, crushed both of her hips, and was in the hospital for several months... and the army will not pay for her hospital bill because she didnt have the MSF coarse or a motorcycle endorsment

They could grant it, but considering how much SGLI has had to pay because of the war, I doubt it.
It may not seem right, but wasn't it his responsibility to think of his family?

Very sad.

Back