an updated article on the stunter that died...

luckydevil

Registered
not exactly sure of the source, but here it is.

Cyclist partially clothed
*Published on Tuesday, September 14

By Erin Cunningham
News-Post Staff

FREDERICK ----The 21-year-old Walkersville man who died Sunday while performing motorcycle stunts along U.S. 340 was wearing a helmet, T-shirt, socks and shoes, but no pants or underwear, according to authorities.

Shaun Paul Mattock was pronounced dead at the scene about 5 p.m. after popping a wheelie and striking a tow truck that was loading a car on the side of the highway, according to Maryland State Police Trooper David Ward.

Witnesses said Mr. Mattock and other motorcyclists were being filmed as they performed stunts going down the highway. Police said they did not know if that was true.

A logo on Mr. Mattock's motorcycle and helmet read, "Holding It Big Productions." The company's Web site, www.holdingitbig.com, has links to videos of young men performing motorcycle stunts.

The videos show them popping wheelies, spinning in circles on one wheel and crashing.

Another link to an advertisement said the Baltimore-based company, owned by Ben Meachum, would soon be in the area making a documentary-style film about extreme sports.

"(The films) will be focused on depicting the crazy, one-of-a-kind lifestyle that always seems to go along with it," the ad read.

Mr. Meachum did not respond to a phone message or an e-mail.

A man who answered the company's contact phone number listed on the Web site would not give his name or reveal his affiliation with the company.

When asked if Holding It Big Productions was filming Mr. Mattock at the time of the accident, he said, "The company films every day."

The man said he knew of Mr. Mattock and was familiar with the accident.

"(Mr. Mattock) was having fun, doing what he likes to do every day," he said. "He was with a bunch of his friends. He just took the ride of his life."

Trooper Ward said that just minutes before the crash, police received a call that a group of seven motorcyclists were performing stunts and driving erratically.

Assistant State's Attorney Kirsten Brown, who was called to the scene of the crash Sunday, said the case is under investigation to determine if charges should be filed.

She said the actions that led to the deadly crash put everyone on the highway in jeopardy. "It was extremely dangerous and scary," she said.

About 30 of Mr. Mattock's family members and friends gathered about 6 p.m. Monday along the westbound lanes of U.S. 340 near the crash site about a half mile west of the Mt. Zion Road exit.

Bottles of Coors Light, his favorite beer, flowers, balloons and other items were laid at the scene amid the tears and hugs of those gathered.

Cyclist's death recorded on tape
*Published on Wednesday, September 15

By Erin Cunningham
News-Post Staff

FREDERICK -- The death of a motorcyclist doing stunts on U.S. 340 Sunday was videotaped by a man riding in a vehicle next to him, police said Tuesday, but the tape was erased.
Trooper David Ward said the tape had been erased twice by the time police got it from the man who made it.

Police would not say who made the recording, but said their investigation of Shaun Paul Matlock's death is under investigation.

"We know a lot, but we are still trying to put it all together," Trooper Ward said.

Police did say the man filming Mr. Matlock, 21, either owned or worked for Holding It Big Productions, a Baltimore-based company that was filming a documentary on extreme sports in the area recently.

Trooper Ward said about seven motorcyclists were riding west on U.S. 340 Sunday afternoon when Mr. Matlock lost control of his bike as he rode with his front wheel pulled up off the pavement. He hit a tow truck parked along the side of the road and died at the scene.

One other cyclist in the group was also doing wheelies. Both men were wearing helmets, shirts and shoes, but neither were wearing pants or underwear, police said.

Trooper Ward said two vehicles were following the group of motorcycles going down the dual-lane highway to block traffic from behind. A third vehicle was traveling next to the two stunt riders so a passenger inside could tape them.

Trooper Ward said it hasn't been decided whether charges would be filed in the incident. But the identity of the man taping is known.

Ben Meachum is listed as the owner of Holding It Big Productions on on the company's Web site, www.holdingitbig.com.

No one answered calls to the company's phone number on Tuesday.

Trooper Ward said police know the identities of all three of the people who were driving the vehicles involved in the taping of the stunt ride.

Logos on Mr. Matlock's high-speed motorcycle and his helmet read "Holding It Big Productions," and the company's Web site has links to videos of young men performing motorcycle stunts. The videos show them popping wheelies, spinning in circles on one wheel and crashing.

Another link said the company would soon be in the Frederick area making an extreme sports film "focused on depicting the crazy, one-of-a-kind lifestyle that always seems to go along with it."

<!--EDIT|luckydevil
Reason for Edit: "second article added"|1095302304 -->

rock.gif
wow.gif
sad.gif

I feel for his family and my prayers go out to him.

On another side of the coin, he made the decision to ride that wheelie and unfortunately he paid the ultimate price. He would have been doing this kind of trick whether or not someone was filming and the filming part is only an accusation, no definite truth. God rest his soul and I pray for his family and friends.

Now I can't wait for the law makers to start pushing for laws to ban our wonderful stress relievers because some people don't have the self control to do the tricks and stunts in a controlled environment. I am just as guilty as the next guy but when are we going to start taking responsibilities for our own actions.

Sorry for the rant!!!

<!--EDIT|loboboy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095301323 -->

Okay, he did it for the money. I'm not quite as sympathatic anymore. Regardless of the point, it's the part that they had 2 cars in the crew holding up traffic that bothered me. I live and ride in L.A. but still hate traffic. That is not only inconsiderate to those in the cages, but dangerous for the riders caught in that traffic they were holding up.

Recklessness for your own life is one thing, but inconsideration and putting others in danger is another. I don't care how nice of a guy this kid was off the bike, but on it I guess he maybe Mr. Hyde along with the rest of his squidy friends.

I maybe the minority opinion when I say this, but I think the production company should be held responsible. Since they were paying these squids, they could've restricted their filming in a controlled environment. I don't think that the kid's family should sue because their kid was stupid, inconsiderate and now dead. But I do think they should sue because the production company didn't fulfill their responsibilities as a employer. Even if they were paying these squids as contractors, they can still have controlled the condition. They could've simple told the squids, "We're not paying you for any footage taken outside of a controlled environment.". And then the family should take that cash and put it towards motorcycle education, or their DMV motorcycle awareness project for the cage drivers. Fat chance of that though, I know.

I maybe the minority opinion when I say this, but I think the production company should be held responsible.  
Responsible for some elses actions, I disagree.

Don't take this personal but noone that was filming put a gun to this kids head and told him to do that wheelie, he has only himself to take RESPONSIBILTY for his actions and unfortunately it was the ultimate consequence.

Sueing someone else for this terrible accident only adds to the destruction of our society, "blame everyone else for my stupidity and wrong judgement" this is wrong!!

Just as you said that the filming company should say " I am not going to pay unless we are in a controlled environment." The young man could have said "I am not ging to do any tricks unless it is in a controlled environment." It is his responsibility to make sure the conditions are safe for him to perform his stunts, and no one elses.

just my opinion.

Cool, didn't want to hurt anyones feelings but wanted to make a point. Thanks for listening.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back