Atheist Soldier sues DOD

Here is some other interesting tidbits from the link I posted

"The first two Presidents of the United States were patrons of religion -- Washington was an Episcopal vestryman and Adams described himself as "a church going animal." Both offered strong rhetorical support for religion. In his Farewell Address (September 1796) Washington called religion, as the source of morality, "a necessary spring of popular government," while Adams claimed that statesmen "may plan and speculate for Liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand."

Here is some other interesting tidbits from the link I posted

"The first two Presidents of the United States were patrons of religion -- Washington was an Episcopal vestryman and Adams described himself as "a church going animal." Both offered strong rhetorical support for religion. In his Farewell Address (September 1796) Washington called religion, as the source of morality, "a necessary spring of popular government," while Adams claimed that statesmen "may plan and speculate for Liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand."
It can be said that they shared these thoughts because of their nurtured environment and the role Religion played in education. However, culture can just as effectively propagate the type of morality that they thought would give root to the ideals they desired.

-Religion and the Constitution:

When the Constitution was submitted to the American public, "many pious people" complained that the document had slighted God, for it contained "no recognition of his mercies to us ... or even of his existence." The Constitution was reticent about religion...

The only "religious clause" in the document -- the proscription of religious tests as qualifications for federal office in Article Six --

-Religion and the Bill of Rights:

Religion was addressed in the First Amendment in the following familiar words: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." In notes for his speech, June 8, 1789, introducing the bill of rights, Madison indicated that a "national" religion was what he wanted to prevent and it is clear that most Americans joined him in considering that the major goal was to forestall any possibility that the federal government could act as several Colonies had done by choosing one religion and making it an official "national" religion that enjoyed exclusive financial and legal support. The establishment clause of the First Amendment meant at least this: that no one religion would be officially preferred above its competitors.

-------

Truthfully...yes the United States was founded on somewhat religious principles, but not necessarily "Christian" principles. The founding documents make little to no mention of any supreme deity except to ensure that it will be impossible to establish a "state religion" or give one faith preference over any other. Many of the founding fathers were Christian, but some were agnostics, others were deists, an early 18th century religious philosophy that embraced the idea that the universe must have been created by some kind of supreme being but rejected all the modern religions' interpretations.

The currency didn't carry the word "God" until 1957 and "God" didn't appear in the pledge until '54. Christmas wasn't a national holiday until 1870. The oath of office doesn't make mention of any deity or invoke any religious implications. Lemon v. Kurtzman gave us the litmus test that the Supreme Court uses to decide whether or not laws are constitutional. The law must "have a secular purpose," it must not "advance nor inhibit religion," and it can not "result in excessive government entanglement with religion."

The founding fathers, both Christian and others alike, clearly went to great lengths to NOT establish a Christian nation. The words "founded on Christian principles" have become a sound byte used by fundamentalist conservatives to brow beat the public into submission. God is on our side...this is the greatest country in the world...nothing needs fixing...all is well...Hoo yeah.

Bottom line, and off original topic slightly:

Does a "God" belong in our world? Apparently, yes.

Do a quick compare to the values and morals of the US BEFORE and AFTER God gets legislated out or banned. This truth speaks louder than any of our words. nuff said.

Hm.  Volatile thread.
Bite ME!!!!!

Just kidding
biggrin.gif

We just love to talk religeon and politics around here!!! safe subjects!! and if you can ever combine the two! YEEE HAAAWWW
deadhorse.gif
ohthedrama.gif
brave.gif

yeah... been a while since we've had a good one of these eye opening discussions
smile.gif

one of the three things you should not debate.

Love
Politics
Religion

That's how the Devil gets you. One little peck at a time.

Everyone will KNOW the truth about God someday. Us Christian get alot of grieve for our believes. You try to share salvation with people cause you hate to see ANYONE go to hell and get doors slammed in your face, called "Jesus freak", noses snubbed up in your face and all your trying to do is keep THEM from eternity in Hell. Yes I'm a Christian and spend my life paying for mistakes by hypicrite Christians.

I respect everyones view whether they are right or wrong. Will love my friends whether they're saved or not, but I will always pray for their salvation.

Imagine if someone you knew was getting on a plane that you KNEW was gonna blow-up. Do you try and talk them out of taking that flight, of coarse. What if they don't believe you? I have to tell my friends about Jesus even if it means they won't like me anymore, which has stopped me TOO MANY times. I'm a chicken. I wish I didn't care what people thought of me.

What was this thread about again
rock.gif

Everyone will KNOW the truth about God someday. Us Christian get alot of grieve for our believes. You try to share salvation with people cause you hate to see ANYONE go to hell and get doors slammed in your face, called "Jesus freak", noses snubbed up in your face and all your trying to do is keep THEM from eternity in Hell. Yes I'm a Christian and spend my life paying for mistakes by hypicrite Christians.

I respect everyones view whether they are right or wrong. Will love my friends whether they're saved or not, but I will always pray for their salvation.

Imagine if someone you knew was getting on a plane that you KNEW was gonna blow-up. Do you try and talk them out of taking that flight, of coarse. What if they don't believe you? I have to tell my friends about Jesus even if it means they won't like me anymore, which has stopped me TOO MANY times. I'm a chicken. I wish I didn't care what people thought of me.

What was this thread about again
rock.gif
Chris - You put a smile on my face more times then not! You're a good person and a good Christian.

LMAO..That's what I thought too. I think it was the multiple exclamation points!!!

Imagine if someone you knew was getting on a plane that you KNEW was gonna blow-up. Do you try and talk them out of taking that flight, of coarse. What if they don't believe you?
99, your posts usually make me smile, too. The plane example is very effective. I, on the other hand, know that the plane is not going to blow up, and that you mean well. I commend you for that
beerchug.gif

Everyone's plane blows up eventually. Question is, do you believe in skydiving? ;)

Back