So......wheels?

Jake whitebird

Registered
Not looking for the r1 or gsxr 1k swap (even though they’re great). Looking for real data. Cost vs performance and strength for the street. Here’s what roaring toyz told me, that the bst carbon fiber has actually been tested stronger than carrozzeria. I know we can find pictures of ripped up carbon, or smashed up aluminum and magnesium but have you seen it? I’m interested in OZ, carrozzeria, marchesini and marvic... I might be missing a couple cause I see a Jb power too. this is a really good read too https://www.sportrider.com/hoop-it-up-sportbike-wheel-comparison

Once you ride a bike with light wheels you won't want to ride without . For example a 2003 ZRX1200R extended 6 " with 1224 big bore kit would never wheelie except at track a few inches during launch .
Same bike except the 1224 motor blew so a stock 1200 ( 1164 cc ) was installed . Also CZ wheel set .
Now this bike would wheelie BIG in 1 st or 2nd . Lost 30 HP from big motor to little and 25 Tq .
The way they transition is amazing . Thing is CZ is the only one I saw recently say their product is street safe .
A forged wheel is stronger than a cast wheel , but OEM wheels are really thick / heavy so they sometimes fair better than a thinner forged wheel . I think a big cause never mentioned is LOW AIR PRESSURE !
I see so many bikes ridden with low tires . I'll be buying CZ next January . Would love to do BST , but for double the $$$$ of CZ there is not enough weight / bang for buck factor .
FYI OZ has poor customer service . Remember to use short tire irons , and run tire brands / models with easy to mount histories . Use Pledge to clean them it will not ruin anodize finish .

Which of them has the most robust cush drive? I have read a few stories where the cush drives (not sure of brand) got chewed up like they were going out of style.

Well of course I love the BST's , but I am carbon crazy ... We were discussing this recently , about the documented failures of BST wheels , some posted and easily found on youtube , and I think those events are very few in number , when compared to how many sets that have been sold worldwide . The billet hub centers sprocket / disc carriers are beautifully machined and very strong , the cush drive is the simple individual lined rubber rings , same as Marchesini and Marvic , and you can replace the steel sprocket carrier bolt for purpose made ti bolts . Ceramic bearings are a must for the free spin gain over standard set up . The price is always going to be a major deciding factor , and like you guys have already said , the weight advantage vs $ outlay , there would have to be better value compromises or packages out there . I have owned Marvics 3 and 5 spoke magnesium and Marchesini 3 spoke magnesium also , but 5 spoke carbon ... something special for sure .
For me BST is , the ultimate ballerina spin effect wheel , light as outer and nicely balanced weighted center , is always going to be the ultimate wheel choice , absolute carbon beauties !! If you can find the $ for them , then pull the trigger on a set or 2 , like me .

DSCF1593.JPG

jake.. if ure gonna drop 4 grand.. build that motor... don't believe the hype on the wheels.... u got it stretched and u aren't gonna throw it in a turn hard...right?

Bsts go for $2500. I don’t have the experience to say but guys here do. As toad said, it’s a night and day difference. Besides you even said you wouldn’t throw stockers back on right? So lighter wheels must help rotating mass....

Bsts go for $2500. I don’t have the experience to say but guys here do. As toad said, it’s a night and day difference. Besides you even said you wouldn’t throw stockers back on right? So lighter wheels must help rotating mass....
if ure after ets.... 2500 goes a long long way towards a motor build.... and no wheel on earth is gonna produce like 100 more Hp..... not even if they are made out of king tuts golden undies... my ONLY reason for putting another CZ rim on there... IF I DO... is because they look great on the bike and I want them to match.... no way in hell do I think they are worth 2 grand..... no way... not ever... and u better pray to god that u don't have a problem with the rims.... CZ doesn't help at all.... also.. I'm not the first to have CZ problems... they have a history of this.... Even drug dealers conduct business better than they do.

Last edited:
I completely agree. But it’s a street bike, not just a drag bike. So increase the “flick ability” going into corners and just changing the overall look.... 2500 is chump change. American oil from American soil sir ;)

Well of course I love the BST's , but I am carbon crazy ... We were discussing this recently , about the documented failures of BST wheels , some posted and easily found on youtube , and I think those events are very few in number , when compared to how many sets that have been sold worldwide . The billet hub centers sprocket / disc carriers are beautifully machined and very strong , the cush drive is the simple individual lined rubber rings , same as Marchesini and Marvic , and you can replace the steel sprocket carrier bolt for purpose made ti bolts . Ceramic bearings are a must for the free spin gain over standard set up . The price is always going to be a major deciding factor , and like you guys have already said , the weight advantage vs $ outlay , there would have to be better value compromises or packages out there . I have owned Marvics 3 and 5 spoke magnesium and Marchesini 3 spoke magnesium also , but 5 spoke carbon ... something special for sure .
For me BST is , the ultimate ballerina spin effect wheel , light as outer and nicely balanced weighted center , is always going to be the ultimate wheel choice , absolute carbon beauties !! If you can find the $ for them , then pull the trigger on a set or 2 , like me .

View attachment 1581946
Aaaaww man, it's like looking at the Crown Jewels of England

255px-Crown_Jewels.jpg

Sorry for delay , had to sleep . First off , Jake , the wheels are not the R BST , actually can't remember if they were available at the time I pulled the trigger , I bought my first set a bit staggered in time . But feature everything mentioned extra on the L2 fitted set , and also the spare set .
Now , one of our clan BigDev , had an unfortunate incident with his front BST , on his hyper supercharged beast , and wasn't even giving it a spanking at the time , but I believe the bike was cranked over , or at least turning / leaning in to a degree . The damage was substantial enough to have to replace it at his own expense , albeit at cost from BST . It was actually a pothole if I recall correctly . Now , I can't say I'd like to hit too many potholes straight on , let alone bang on an apex , or even at speed limit in urban jungle . Honestly , I scan road surface generally , as best as one can expect , so there is always a potential surprise ' on any Sunday ' ride . So there is still that risk , but to be honest , I have had the same concerns with magnesium rims over the years , and have been lucky . If you live and ride in an area that has neglected the road upkeep , to some alarming degree ( very possible nowadays ) , well you may want to rethink things a bit more .
Now , i run my BST front with 38 psi and the rear 38-40 psi , and my cut off ride temp is 35 degrees Celsius , as an ideal . Now I run this pressure because of my fat ass , and don't worry , they are still compliant Bridgestone RS10 , and sure footed , with some cushioning give .
If , like you Jake , you are building / built a full house motor / chassis / street weapon , not so much a swervery king or 1/4 mile killer , but still well able to effectively negotiate any streets to your favorite road locations , well even then , the BST's would be a top addition to your creation bro .
Sure , it's a ton of money no matter how you look at it , and tranfer that $ to motor enhancement , that's a lot of potential extra poke that could be had .. guess you have to make your choice , based on one's wants
DSCF1353.JPG
and needs .

Back