So i locked my hump without putting the cable on....

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Yep I finally did it. I did not put the cable back in the latch before i locked the hump in. Boy was I madddddd when i went to unlock the hump today :cursin:. I knew it would happen eventually. I usually take the whole lock assembly off to avoid this possible problem with the two screws but last time i decided just to unhook the cable... bad idea.

So i got back, pulled her into the trailer. Took the seat off and looked in there and said no way thats happening. So i pulled off the undertail and was unbelievably able to just reach up there and pull the latch and pop the hump off :easy:

I imagine people without aftermarket undertails have much more trouble... I got the coat hanger out and everything getting ready to try it but luckily i tried the undertail first... :thumbsup:

:rofl: A wooden paint stirring stick works good on Gen1 if you can't get to it from underneath. They made it easy to fix on a gen2 though:poke: Ask me how I know:laugh:

it happens to the best of us, not me, of coarse, but you know what I mean. Glad ya got it figured, bet ya wont do that again:laugh:

:rofl: A wooden paint stirring stick works good on Gen1 if you can't get to it from underneath. They made it easy to fix on a gen2 though:poke: Ask me how I know:laugh:

I read the thread on paint sticks.. I do not see how that is possible looking at it but it works so its gotta do it somehow. I did not have paint sticks but luckily taking off the undertail worked :laugh: I had to fit on my new saddlebags :cheerleader:

LOL. I actually locked my keys under the seat (gen II) about 45 minutes from my house at a sports bar...don't ask:whistle:. Took the left side rear turn signal out, pulled the chrome piece of metal rod that is under the seat on that side and was able pop it from there fairly easily. Not sure if that is what that little gem is for but it worked, and I am glad it was/is still under there.

I read the thread on paint sticks.. I do not see how that is possible looking at it but it works so its gotta do it somehow. I did not have paint sticks but luckily taking off the undertail worked :laugh: I had to fit on my new saddlebags :cheerleader:

Lucky bastid:laugh:

LOL. I actually locked my keys under the seat (gen II) about 45 minutes from my house at a sports bar...don't ask:whistle:. Took the left side rear turn signal out, pulled the chrome piece of metal rod that is under the seat on that side and was able pop it from there fairly easily. Not sure if that is what that little gem is for but it worked, and I am glad it was/is still under there.

:laugh:That's the prop rod for the gas tank. But that's good Macgyver'n there man:thumbsup:
If you have tools, you can remove the front seat and pop the 2 push pins out out of the little 3 inch piece of plastic between the seats on the tail.
Yeah, I wondered what it was for too:laugh: With it out you can put a long flatblade screwdriver through the opening and simply push the latch to the shifter side of the bike.

We know who doesn't do their own maintenance now or have you been using a custome cut 2x4 to hold your gas tank up?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

glad you got it fixed up man, I haven't done it yet but probably will sooner or later:laugh: lets see some pics of your new sattlebags...:thumbsup:

Yep I finally did it. I did not put the cable back in the latch before i locked the hump in.

So...I read this yesterday, had a good laugh about it, then went outside to put my (third, because the POS things keep failing on me) new LED brake light assembly on...and forgot to put the damn cable back in...:banghead:

I used a holesaw to drill a 1" hole in the bottom of the OEM undertail, then used a curved bit of coathanger to reach up and slide the catch across.

lol, been there done that with the grab bar on so I couldnt get a wire in the side. ended up cutting a hole big enough in the undertail.

lol, been there done that with the grab bar on so I couldnt get a wire in the side. ended up cutting a hole big enough in the undertail.

That was my problem, too. I always have the grab rail on, so I couldn't get at the damn catch until I cut a small hole in the undertail. - Very annoying!

There's NO NEED TO CUT ANYTHING on a GENII. A coat hanger will do it. Look at the pic in the service manual to get an idea of where the cable/latch mechanism are; i've done it with a coat hanger and a lot of cussing...

Sounds like a idea for a new bash event, along with the creeper races...who can bust into a hump the fastest....

There's NO NEED TO CUT ANYTHING on a GENII. A coat hanger will do it. Look at the pic in the service manual to get an idea of where the cable/latch mechanism are; i've done it with a coat hanger and a lot of cussing...

Sounds like a idea for a new bash event, along with the creeper races...who can bust into a hump the fastest....

Read post #7 for the gen2, no coat hanger needed either.

Back