Snapped a chain, clutch pushrod sheared off at the oil seal.

JimmyTNT

Registered
How do i get it out without splitting the cases? can I pull the clutch and push it from the otherside? Il post a pic up in a bit.

You could pull the clutch side and use a wire or small rod to push out the rest of the rod. I am not sure what metal it is but a magnet might be worth the try.

if you can see the shaft, perhaps a small dab of glue or jbweld on the shaft and a wire to pull it out with?

hopefully the rubber grommet wasnt damaged....

if you can see the shaft, perhaps a small dab of glue or jbweld on the shaft and a wire to pull it out with?

hopefully the rubber grommet wasnt damaged....

Yes, that rubber oil seal/grommet is damaged as well. It looks like it installs when the cases are assembled/split... :banghead: Also, the shaft snapped 1/4" past the oil seal on the engine side. I wont be able to grab it with anything.

pic. :banghead:

DSC01110.jpg

Well you didn't trash the casing so be thankful for that. Best of luck on the fix.

You should be able to push it out from the basket side, is the seal damaged?

If there aren't rough edges, i would push it into the motor and remove it from the clutch basket side!

Pull your clutch cover off, and pull your outer hub (6 clutch springs and center silver hub). Pull the push shaft out with the torington bearing on it, as well as the long cross over shaft. Then go to the drive side of the motor, and push the rod through. I used a piece of air line to pull the rod on thru the clutch side of the motor. Then re assemble the clutch side, permatex the seal really good, and re-assemble that side too. I had the same thing happen on a 800 mile DRZ2 chain a couple weeks ago, but my seal was fine. Mine trashed the water pump, shift shaft cover, and the c/s cover too. They(EK Chains) are currently trying to work out a warranty for me, supposedly.

Pull your clutch cover off, and pull your outer hub (6 clutch springs and center silver hub). Pull the push shaft out with the torington bearing on it, as well as the long cross over shaft. Then go to the drive side of the motor, and push the rod through. I used a piece of air line to pull the rod on thru the clutch side of the motor. Then re assemble the clutch side, permatex the seal really good, and re-assemble that side too. I had the same thing happen on a 800 mile DRZ2 chain a couple weeks ago, but my seal was fine. Mine trashed the water pump, shift shaft cover, and the c/s cover too. They(EK Chains) are currently trying to work out a warranty for me, supposedly.

Your chain likely broke cause it's not really a road chain..Alot of care has to be taken when using them on the street, and i mean alot... The DRZ2 is a strip chain and that's like 200 passes on a chain or more when street ridden.. I wouldn't tell them you been riding it on the street..

The seal has been damaged so he will have to split the cases. It does not have to be split completely, just enough to get the old seal out and the new one in. and reapply the gasket sealer

im going to figure out a way to get that seal in there without splitting the cases. mark my words on that...

Back