Chain breaking

If you are a "tame" busa rider (no wheelies, not too many fast starts) will your chain problems be minimized?
bigtime ....way less wear an' tear . the ultimate enemy of the motorcycle chain dirt .
also : heat
abuse
neglect
improper adjustment
but mostly dirt . Clean it alot. Lube it alot .
For cleaning some guys like wd40...I personally use Kerosene.
For lube...some like motoroil...I find it a bit thin...so I use the latest an' greatest from Bel Ray . It's white so you can see thats its on, you can also see what they call chain "fly-off"...and there isnt much .

From all the info I gathered, here is what I do for my chain-

1) clean it at least every 300 miles. WD-40 is a good cleaner and lubricant. While on the centerstand, I spray with WD-40 and clean the hell out of it with a cloth while the engine spins the tire. I ride the bike for about 30 miles with WD-40 and I put a good chain lube on it like PJ-1 when the chain is still hot.

2) Never run a chain past 10,000 miles ever. 10,000 miles is the maximum to run your chain

3) Check the chain for sideways slack, stretch, and any other indication of possible failure at about 6000 miles.

4) if you take the chain off, do everything possible to ensure the master link is engaged (saw a guy wreck his GSXR1000 big time by having the chain loop up around the front sprocket in a turn)

Hope this helps

Mike

Jeez Mike!

That chain and sprocket can catch the rag and suck it in faster than you can blink. If your holding on......goodbye fingers! It would be like those stories you hear from time to time where a long haired mechanic was working under the truck while the engine was turning the drive shaft. And RIP - off comes his scalp when the hair wraps up in the drive shaft. Or the one about the power saw, etc.

Please be extra careful using that technique. It is hard to pull in the clutch with no fingers.

4) if you take the chain off, do everything possible to ensure the master link is engaged (saw a guy wreck his GSXR1000 big time by having the chain loop up around the front sprocket in a turn)
personally , myself , I would never use a "clip-type" master. Only a riveted one . But thats just me .

Doesn't the owners manual say to never use a clip type master? maybe it was the service manual? I remember reading somewhere that rivet types are the only approved specimens.

personally , myself , I would never use a "clip-type" master. Only a riveted one .  But thats just me .
NEVER USE A MASTER LINK THAT IS NOT RIVITED ON A BUSA. It will hold but not under extreme pressure. Justa added insurance. Such a small thing for extra insurance.

Wow!! From reading this thread I guess there was a reason why my engine blew up. I guess an angel was looking out for me. I had 13.6k miles on stock chain. But once its rebuilt I a EK 530 zvk going on there! I'm not messin around now! I don't wanna be like that gixer 1k dude that bit it. I've learned alot about chains here tonight...thank you fellas.

Stock Chain is: 530, 112 Links over 10,000 psi yeild. I am a TAME rider. i pull no wheelies, no lockups, no power drops. I have had a clunk/click when letting out clutch as intermittent problem for the last year. Have only 3400 miles. This only happens some of the time, usually when i go down from second to first at a light and the take off slowly when the light goes green. I thought the tranny or the clutch was bad. My chain is fine ( as my inspection has gone). Last week, I let a dealer tech take it out, he got it to click, he then tried again .. no click..he rolled the bike back to where he got the click and got it again.... pointed to a chain problem... bad link, nasty link..........my chain has been always adusted perfectly 1" of play. chain has not stretched much from new. I think chain is nasty; i have always done like the guy who cleans the chain with a towel and wd-40, my chain has always been super clean. I understand the stock chain is DID manufactuure O-ring. I am now looking a a TSUBAKI SIGMA...the stock chain is 112 links ( 530 chain, over 10,000 psi yeild). I have a Blue link stock chain. I am also Totally pissed at suzuki, they are weasels, You will get Richard Coleman if you call. tell him keith laux hates his ass....

I realize this is an old thread but I searched and couldn't find exactly what I'm asking: Can you hurt the countershaft bearing (front sprocket) by riding with the chain too tight for about 2000 miles? I did, and after my trip the chain is back within slack limits, I guess cause it stretched. The bike was new this spring.
I don't ride too hard. I clean with kerosene and wax it every 5-600 miles. Tonight I saw there might be one tight spot in it when I had it on the rear stand.
Hope theres a transmission guru who reads this and tells me there's no damage to that bearing.
Thanks.

DID chian and rivited!! Keep it adjusted and clean . Just by keeping the stock chain adjusted and clean I got 17,000 out of myold one. But an upgraded one is better!

I have nearly 18k miles on my stock chain and no problems what so ever. I clean it using a rag to wipe off the diret about every 500 miles with Silkolene chain oil and then after all the dirt is off I spray it again after I get the chain hot. I have alot of friends with Busa's and their original chains with more miles then me and none of us have had a problem. Some with 25k and 30k miles.

Back