Clutch Slave Push Rod Seal - Help!!

kalsonc

Registered
hey guys,

recently notice oil spitting out by the clutch slave - i think a bit of diagnosing turns out the be the 'common' push rod seal leaking oil out

from what i've gathered is that we need to split the engine to get to the seal.. any way to make this an easier job?

take the pushrod out , with a large phillips screwdriver, insert in the pushrod hole and prize ( that is push sideways ) the seal , it will come out ,
clean the seal recess ( degreaser on rag or similar )
new seal , wipe a very fine smear of silicone on the seal ( outer edge). now with a socket ( the same size or similar ) to the seal tap the seal in place —— keeping it even and square . lube ( engine oil ) the pushrod before you insert it
i would quote / charge 1/2 an hour for this procedure
the silicone is both a lubricant ( to help install the seal ) and will “ set “ to seal the outer seal

take the pushrod out , with a large phillips screwdriver, insert in the pushrod hole and prize ( that is push sideways ) the seal , it will come out ,
clean the seal recess ( degreaser on rag or similar )
new seal , wipe a very fine smear of silicone on the seal ( outer edge). now with a socket ( the same size or similar ) to the seal tap the seal in place —— keeping it even and square . lube ( engine oil ) the pushrod before you insert it
i would quote / charge 1/2 an hour for this procedure
the silicone is both a lubricant ( to help install the seal ) and will “ set “ to seal the outer seal
Aaaaahh mate, did you know the seal is contained in the case with a lip protruding a few millimeters over the face of the seal, and unlike other seals (as you described the procedure of removal and installation) will NOT just come out easily, and even if you do get it out, it is impossible to fit a new seal in without fitting it from the inside of the crankcase . . there is a lip preventing removal and install from the outside of the case.

Last edited:
(...)there is a lip preventing removal and install from the outside of the case.

hi bro

yes the origin one has the lip outside

but i asked - out of pure curiosity - for a new one and my dealer said that at the spare part is no outside lip

what he recommended is a thin layer of loctite 603 onto the grease/oil free surfaces at the seal & in the crankshaft wall
and this method would last longer than one would drive a bike.

but i personally never did that try and i never met a man who did it already

N
that would involve a lot of silicone sealant on and in the seal?
not exactly the 'right' way, but it is ONE way lol.
Not a lot, not pretty, but will not leak and get you out of a pinch. Cut the lip off and sealer around outside edge. Leave pushrod in to keep new seal aligned. Like double protection. Nobody getting pregnant here.

Screenshot_20210503-000444.png

Screenshot_20210503-000439.png

Screenshot_20210503-000431.png

@Bigboy Busa2

yep that´s the one solution - only the silicone should be heatresistant over 150°C !

the second is a new seal without that lip outside but glued in on to the old one with special rubber gluing stuff.
that´s what a buddy did here in berlin with full success over years ´n years

Back