Smith & Wesson M&P .45

I myself carry a Springfield Armory XDm40 which I love. I also have a xd45 tactical that is awsome but none compare to the Kimber 45. Get you hands on one of these and you will fall in love with it. Good size and dead on.

Kimber is awesome but I dont know any med/large PD that will flip the bill for a Kimber with 500 members. I wish!

The Kimber(s) I used to have were awesome guns. But, given they can only carry as much as a standard M1911, there is still something to be said for a magazine that can carry more rounds. That's the only downside of the .45.

Besides, Saiid, aren't you supposed to be doing me some vehicle intel?

This is true. My 45 xd will hold 15 rounds but then gets to heavy to carry.
The Kimber(s) I used to have were awesome guns. But, given they can only carry as much as a standard M1911, there is still something to be said for a magazine that can carry more rounds. That's the only downside of the .45.

Besides, Saiid, aren't you supposed to be doing me some vehicle intel?

i have had the 40M&P smith&wesson for the past 5 yrs. and i love it. i sent about a few thousand rounds at the range with zero issues. i love the interchangeable grip for my large hands. there is no visible safety but it will not fire if you release the mag while there is a round in the pipe. my only gripe would be the 6lb. trigger pull but i can run down to smith&wesson and have it tweaked when i get around to it. all in all, it's a nice well designed pistol from a personal standpoint.

Not to get off topic, but did anyone notice the Green Mil-Dot scope banner? That looks like a cool scope. Back on topic.

Without knowing differently is the newer / newset deign the way to go? I have had people mention that the 9mm and .40 are to fast for a carry...that the .45 is the caliber if you can choose. I am not sure what the state guys carry here, but many depts have the .40 sig...with 2 extra mags on belt...if you have to switch get some grips that work with your hands are be proficient at the range...it is all progress / if you can keep what you have if it is you preferance.

Amazing how they are all starting to look/function like Glocks :)

Did I read this correctly (Double-action only)? While safer with one in the pipe, takes more practice to get rounds consistenly on the target...

I'll bet you are glad to have some real stopping power with you again.

The Glock, XD, and M&P are not really single or double action. It is more of a 1/2 ****. I’ve seen it called different things but striker fire or pre-set seems to be common. To test the difference, a Double-action will allow you to pull a trigger a second time on an empty chamber. The Glock, XD, and M&P will not. But it is not fully cocked like a single action and has a longer trigger pull.

People will argue different types, but the action in the Glock, XD, and M&P is widely accepted as much easier to train and safer among most law enforcement agencies. My experience has reflected this as well. Compared to the more common Single/Double I think the pre-set is much easier to keep on target for the first round and you don’t have the difference in the first vs second round to deal with. An accidental discharge on the second round is also less common.

Don’t think he was under armed with a .40 compared to the .45 ;) I’ll take a .40 or a .45 any day unless you are making me use non-expanding hard ball ammo!

the stopping power is great but dam that thing is heavy. as long as it shoots as good as the Sig then personally ill be happy. all the power in the world dont mean chit if it isnt accurate or reliable tho.

What Sig are you using now? I think the M&P is an improvement over the Sig 250. I think the 229/228/229s shoot better than the M&Ps but it would not upset me to swap.

Professor guns like the Glock and M&P came about as a result of what you speak of, accidental discharge.
Numerous instances were recorded where a cop with a traditional double/single gun fired a first round and for whatever reason forgot the hammer was back cocked for second round. Either by still having finger inside trigger guard and bolstering weapon or from adrenalin and not realizing how much pressure that were actually still applying to trigger the gun went off.
The action of a Glock is easier to teach and easier to be consistent with due to fact trigger is alway same no matter what round you are firing.

i have had the 40M&P smith&wesson for the past 5 yrs. and i love it. i sent about a few thousand rounds at the range with zero issues. i love the interchangeable grip for my large hands. there is no visible safety but it will not fire if you release the mag while there is a round in the pipe. my only gripe would be the 6lb. trigger pull but i can run down to smith&wesson and have it tweaked when i get around to it. all in all, it's a nice well designed pistol from a personal standpoint.

There is an option that removes the magazine safety. These models feel smoother/lighter to me then the ones with the mag safety.

Professor guns like the Glock and M&P came about as a result of what you speak of, accidental discharge.
Numerous instances were recorded where a cop with a traditional double/single gun fired a first round and for whatever reason forgot the hammer was back cocked for second round. Either by still having finger inside trigger guard and bolstering weapon or from adrenalin and not realizing how much pressure that were actually still applying to trigger the gun went off.
The action of a Glock is easier to teach and easier to be consistent with due to fact trigger is alway same no matter what round you are firing.

EXACTLY! I have fired many thousands of rounds over many hours of private and formal training with SA/DA guns. Mostly 226/228 Sigs. Now that I don’t train as often, I feel a bit rusty with them for a few rounds. However I can pick up a Glock/XD/or M&P and I don’t have any first/second shot issues. The first/second shot issue is very big.
Add stress to the issue and it becomes MUCH worse.
It is hard to overcome. The majority of the gun owners will not put the time and effort into the initial training or ongoing training to become and stay proficient.

I was comparing to 9mm.

There are some awesome rounds out there in 9mm. I have 226s in both 9mm and .40 and never feel under armed with the 9. On a clock I can put ten rounds of 9 in a smaller group than the .40. And I can do it in about 35% less time than the .40. 10 rounds in about the same time as I get 6-7 out of the .40. As I get older and practice less it gets worse. :(

Have the S&W M&P 9mm compact and really like it. Have shot a few 100 rounds through it without an issue. I have pretty big hands and with the magzine extension it feels good in my hand.

The M&P feels a lot more refined than a S&W Sigma(hate Sigma's)

Yeah my m&p45 will fire with out having the mag in the gun...

With the slide locked open and putting in a full mag it will close the slide automatically and put a round in the chamber.

I have a M&P 40C. I have put over thousand rounds through with no issues. I care it everyday very nice gun. It feels better shooting then the Glock. I hate to say that but it does to me. Mine will fire with mag removed and round in chamber. I know the local leo's in the town I work in have the M&P and love them. The state boys carry 9mm. With the right ammno night much of a difference between 45 and 40. Plus you can carry more rounds withe the 40.

Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place

What Sig are you using now? I think the M&P is an improvement over the Sig 250. I think the 229/228/229s shoot better than the M&Ps but it would not upset me to swap.
229r... it shoots way better then the Beretta did but im just pissed about goin from a compact to a full size gun again. hopefully ill like it when I get it.

Back