Slow to start

Purple1300

Registered
My 03 is over 18,000K. It's recently started taking a few tries to get it started now and when it finally does, it sounds like it's thinking about going back to sleep plus my choke isn't working. Any ideas? Change out the plugs? Throttle body synch? Air/ fuel filter?
dunno.gif

1st, there's no choke. 2nd, do everything you've already mentioned. 3rd, there's tons of DIY in the service manual. 4th, crank up the idle...

your fast idle can be adjusted.the screw for it is next to the idle screw on the throttle bodies.Have to prop the tank to get to this one.with tank up,move the fast idle lever back and forth and you'll see which cable it is.you'll see the little cam that should contacted the screw when lever is rolled back.turn the screw in too set your fast idle up.I have mine set high,about 3k.I just roll the lever back to slow it down to 2k for warm up.

If ya don't know the history of the bike.Plugs,air fillter and TB sinc is a very good idea.
thumb_up.gif

Sounds like I'm on the right track then! I think mine is idling at just over 1. (just turned it on) As far as the history goes, the only thing I've done is put in a brand new clutch, new gears in the tranny, change the oil and switch from radiator fluid to Engine Ice. For the throttle bodies synch, is that going to require dropping the engine or just taking the fairings off? God I hope it's the latter!

No dropping the engine or removing the fairings. Pop the tank is all. You'll see the bank of throttle bodies. Can't miss 'em. Just make sure to get a good set of gauges.

Awesome. It's all under the tank. Which is good because I need to cut my airbox as well. Now to the gauges part... I don't have gauges, never did this kind of thing before so where can I get them and how do I synch them?

I haven't been on the forum in a few days.... weather in Florida has been awesome!! Thanks for the thread Professor! Also, TXbusa, I have a choke lever on my left controls. Of all the machinery I've been around there's definitely that universal symbol next to that lever for choke and I used it whenever I started up my bike and it's no longer working. So I'm not sure what to do about that either.

I know it has the choke symbol, but it really IS only a fast idle lever.

Really.

Back