Another 01 with staring troubles

Krudd93

Registered
My 01 starts funny on a couple spins then cranks over...an then sometimes it fades an backfires. After a ride an while it's hot it's really bad an back fires a lot then finally starts...I smell fuel sometimes an choking it makes it worse an will throw a fi code then goes off, I've tried to catch the code but when I try I won't come on... it's also burning the spark plugs, the only change I've made was coils an air filter but the problem started before I did those things... about to change the strainer an floater filter but after that I'm clueless.... I need help please!!!!

I think you need to upgrade to an 03+ starter clutch. Not a big deal to change if you have some mechanical aptitude and basic hand tools. The fueling issue is probably related to the non-starting.
Thanks..didnt think of that..is there anyway to diagnose that?? The part is reasonable an I'm plenty handy an have the tools...

I think you need to upgrade to an 03+ starter clutch. (...)

hmmmm,
Kopf-kratz.gif

i never tried that so i have no clue,
if the K3-K7 starter clutch (allone) really fit to model X/Y/K1/K2?
(they have different art.-numbers)

see fiches
STARTER_CLUTCH_(MODEL_X,Y,K1,K2).jpg

STARTER_CLUTCH_(MODEL_K3).jpg

so my question is if the later (´03-´07) starter clutch fits to models ´99-´02
Kopf-kratz.gif

if not, you need also all other pieces
and
the K3-K7 starter motor too
caused by its ~ 7 mm longer starter shaft
plus the two covers.

and if the freewheel is defective, it does not grip properly and the motor does not turn - you only hear a "bsssssss"
how should misfires / backfires occur?
Kopf-kratz.gif

My 01 starts funny on a couple spins then cranks over...an then sometimes it fades an backfires. After a ride an while it's hot it's really bad an back fires a lot then finally starts...I smell fuel sometimes an choking it makes it worse an will throw a fi code then goes off, I've tried to catch the code but when I try I won't come on... it's also burning the spark plugs, the only change I've made was coils an air filter but the problem started before I did those things... about to change the strainer an floater filter but after that I'm clueless.... I need help please!!!!
Can you post up a video of the starting issue and also the back firing etc , would be so much clearer to us all, to work out what exactly is going on.

Thanks..didnt think of that..is there anyway to diagnose that?? The part is reasonable an I'm plenty handy an have the tools...
If the starter is "kicking back" i.e. not engaging smoothly. If you are having to hit the button multiple times in order to get the starter motor to spin. As kiwi suggested, a video would be super helpful.

hmmmm,
Kopf-kratz.gif

i never tried that so i have no clue,
if the K3-K7 starter clutch (allone) really fit to model X/Y/K1/K2?
(they have different art.-numbers)

see fiches
View attachment 1615496

View attachment 1615497

so my question is if the later (´03-´07) starter clutch fits to models ´99-´02
Kopf-kratz.gif

if not, you need also all other pieces
and
the K3-K7 starter motor too
caused by its ~ 7 mm longer starter shaft
plus the two covers.

and if the freewheel is defective, it does not grip properly and the motor does not turn - you only hear a "bsssssss"
how should misfires / backfires occur?
Kopf-kratz.gif
Yes, the 03+ starter clutch fits the 99-02 bikes, with some changes to the corresponding supporting parts. The part numbers are different because it's an upgrade.... Suzuki realized there was a problem and fixed it from 03 on. I don't remember what all is needed to swap, but I remember it took me a couple of hours.
The starter doesn't simply freewheel as you suggest, it kicks back against the motor, it can backfire by calling for fuel but not igniting it in sequence. I'm not sure that's what the OP's problem is, but I do know that the early starter clutches are a common issue.
If you're interested in finding out more, do a search, it's a well documented problem.

Yes, the 03+ starter clutch fits the 99-02 bikes, with some changes to the corresponding supporting parts. The part numbers are different because it's an upgrade.... Suzuki realized there was a problem and fixed it from 03 on. I don't remember what all is needed to swap, but I remember it took me a couple of hours.
The starter doesn't simply freewheel as you suggest, it kicks back against the motor, it can backfire by calling for fuel but not igniting it in sequence. I'm not sure that's what the OP's problem is, but I do know that the early starter clutches are a common issue.
If you're interested in finding out more, do a search, it's a well documented problem.
I actually thought about doing that...bbbbuuuutt I'm a essential sanitation worker an have been getting my ass cracked at work lol.. I'm hopeful that today I will get enough time left in the day to get a good video to show u..... let me say this, im thankful for your response.. I love my busa!!

Did a short to show you what's happening.. cold start with the choke on... this is exactly what I does but gets even worse after it's hot an doesn't have to be a long ride

Did a short to show you what's happening.. cold start with the choke on... this is exactly what I does but gets even worse after it's hot an doesn't have to be a long ride
I think you need to upgrade to an 03+ starter clutch. Not a big deal to change if you have some mechanical aptitude and basic hand tools. The fueling issue is probably related to the non-starting.
posted a short vid..

Posted a vid..

Posted a vid

posted a short vid..
Okay, it doesn't sound like a bad starter clutch until the very end, so don't do that. Yet. Sounds like it's cranking slow. Do you have a meter so you can check voltage? Also may wanna check your plugs.

If this is a Hayabusa it doesn’t have a choke. The manual throttle lever is just that, a way to increase the rpms. I’ve never used it to start the bike, only to increase the revs to hasten it’s warmup (if ever). Could this practice somehow be ‘flooding’ the injectors/cylinders when trying to ignite the mixture upon startup? Plugs would foul more easily too right?

Okay, it doesn't sound like a bad starter clutch until the very end, so don't do that. Yet. Sounds like it's cranking slow. Do you have a meter so you can check voltage? Also may wanna check your plugs.
No not that handy yet but I hadn't ran it... it was cold last night so I put it on charge...but the way it sounds is always just like that...

No not that handy yet but I hadn't ran it... it was cold last night so I put it on charge...but the way it sounds is always just like that...
Also changes plugs an 2 rides an they were burnt... when it first started I checked the new plugs I put an they were burnt and now the second set are after 2 rides...

Burnt? Post pictures if you can.
Ok... but gotta wait until tomorrow an pop them out... quite sure u know more than me so I'm listening an hopefully learn something in the mean time... appreciate u an your time.. I would take them now but my wifey would kill me lol.. will hit the post when i pull them..

Back