Slipping Clutch Update (Part II)

Thrust

Registered
Well,

Dealer installed a new clutch assembly, changed the oil and new filter. I went an picked the bike up. For those who don't remember I bought the bike and within 3-4 miles the clutch was slipping so badly the bike wouldn't pull out.

Anyway, the dealer said the old clutch appeared to be fine and they could not ascertain the cause of the slippage but they installed the new clutch anyway. In the process they also disassembled the master cylinder and checked all the seals, etc. said everything appeared to be "okay".

I picked the bike back up today and all appears to be well......I did a few hard pulls and no slippage at all. So I'm currently happy but still a bit apprehensive.

The problem that is nagging me is that nothing was found to be "wrong". I'm wondering if the oil level was too low from the factory and with the clutch slipping being temperature dependent (wouldn't slip on a cold engine) if the lack of oil may have caused the oil to overheat and allow the clutch to slip?

Possible?

low oil level will not cause that. it will cause engine problems before any clutch problems. i'm sure there was some kinda problem with the clutch but the tech did not catch it. there is alot of techs know how to replace parts & not diagnose a problem, so just ride it & see what happens.

Glad to hear they finally got things worked out and were willing to work with you. Did they at least offer you something for the inconvenience? An extended warranty for peace of mind would be nice.

I also agree with badass on the oil issue. If anything I would think the clutch would have been very grabby just before the engine locked up.

Not a good start for the new toy but at least it was an annoyance vs. something serious. Just think of all the poor Yamaha owners out there buying the new R1's that grenade engines within 10 miles
smile.gif

I have heard that fully synthetic oil will do that. Since you oil had just been changed, maybe that had something to do with it?
rock.gif

When i bought my 04' the rear brake never really worked too well, i mean you could pump it a few times and it would work alittle better. Then i bled the rear system and it's night and day, rear brakes in force!

There was probly some air in the clutch system and by the shop R&Ring the master cyl they had to bleed the system which fixed the problem.
Like my rear brake, a minor oversight in a mass production system.

Glad to hear you are up riding and that you have no reoccurrence of the problem!

Back