Need Help urgently

Thrust

Registered
Well, took delivery on my new '04 Busa today with 0.5 miles on the odometer. As I was pulling out the clutch felt like it was engaging **really** late but being as I'm new to a Busa no biggie. Well, 3 miles later the clutch is slipping so bad the bike won't even pull out on level ground. Dealer comes and picks up the bike. Bleeds the clutch system and it appears to be working fine (albeit still engaging a too late for my tastes). So as I'm leaving for work and merging onto the interstate in 2nd gear the clutch begins to slip again.

After work I began my ride home and the clutch wasn't slipping any more until the bike was fully warmed up.....then....yep slipping again.

Any ideas? Another bleed of the system? Any adjustment(s)?

Thanks for any quick assistance as I'm really wanting to go for a ride this evening and tomorrow!!

It sounds like air in the system. Try pulling the clutch all the way in and tie it there overnight. From what I have hurd it will allow all the air to escape. I would also make the dealer look into it again.

My clutch engages at the very beginning of the stroke. Definately needs dealer attention.

Also, because the clutch was slipping so badly, it might have taken a bunch of wear in those first few miles. May tell them to make provisions for replacing the clutch ASAP. Check yer motor oil for signs of excessive clutch wear.

Good luck!

Well, still no luck. I bled the system again and had no air at all. Took the bike back out. Still quite a while on the stroke before clutch engagement. At first it seemed to be fine (no slip) but as the bike warmed up it started to slip again.

oh well.....back to the dealer w/ my 43 mile "old" Busa.

Anyone have any ideas that I should suggest to the dealer (other than a clutch replacement...which I will ask for.)?

TIA

Thrust.. read this thread all the way through.. may help.

pay particular attention to :
Oh yeah, cache posted in my other thread sayin' that the cover I tightened also serves as the front sprocket cover and holds the clutch slave cylinder in place. He said that if it gets loose enough or comes off, you can't use the clutch. I noticed at the end of my ride today that the clutch was grabbin' way early in the lever travel compared to what it usually does. I guess it was just about loose enough to where the clutch wouldn't work!

I understand your need to get information about the root causes for your bike problem and fixes .However, I feel you should let your dealer deal with it as the bike is new and it should be perfect
rock.gif

This is not a good start I do hope he or she will be able to fix it for good
mad.gif

Good luck
idea.gif

I've always felt the clutch lever travel is WAY too much on my Busa. After riding my other bikes with a normal clutch, I find myself accidently revving the Busa's engine until I get used to it again.

I just figured that the far travel was normal on the Busa? In other words, I start to release the clutch lever and the engine doesn't start to engage until the lever is 90% released.

Now I see someone here said their clutch starts to engage as soon as the lever is released. Is anyone elses like this?
Also how would air in the system or loose bolts cause this guys problem? Wouldn't those have the opposite effect? And if bad enough the bike would just "drag the clutch" or jerk to a halt even with the lever pulled all the way in due to the clutch being engaged?

Is anyone elses like this?
Also how would air in the system or loose bolts cause this guys problem?  Wouldn't those have the opposite effect?  And if bad enough the bike would just "drag the clutch" or jerk to a halt even with the lever pulled all the way in due to the clutch being engaged?
That's what I thought too but after the initial bleeding of the system the clutch engagement improved quite a bit. But theoretically if there was air in the line you would have a problem with the clutch not wanting to disengage.

Also, thanks for all of the replies so far. I'm taking her back into the dealer tomorrow to see if they can nail down the problem. I'm also going to ask for a complete clutch replacement if there are any signs of wear.

I'll keep everyone updated on what the problem turns out to be.

Back