Clutch slippage

snakeyezzz

Registered
This is for those of you that use Mobil-1 MXT-4(?) synthetic oil. Have you had any problem with clutch slipping? I was at the stealership yesterday and they said not to use it because I will slip the clutch. I talked to the other stealership the week before and they said that was a very good oil to use. I have done research on oils and never saw anything about this in any of the reports that I read. Just wondering if they are full of crap or if I should listen to them.

Thanks

don't worry. It won't make the clutch slip. ALOT of people with turbo bikes use good synthetics with over 500hp and don't have problems with slipping clutches.

(snakeyezzz @ Jan. 13 2007,19:49) It is not just synthetic. It is Mobil-1 in particular.
RUN... Don't Walk from this person at the dealership! This person knows absolutely nothing of that which he professes! Motorcycle specific synthetic oils (and MX4T in particular) have been around for years! These oils have been formulated especially for the rigors of motorcycle use. Meaning that in addition to the duties of keeping the engine running at it's peak they are designed to withstand the shearing in the transmission, the heat and abuse of a wet clutch etc.

Here is a link to a pretty good motorcycle specific oil write up Sport Rider did a while ago.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

I have used MX4T in my Hayabusa Since it's first oil change and have had "0" ill effects from it!

I use Mobil 1 oil in my busa and it actually fixed the clutch problem that I had. I LOVE THE STUFF!!! THE STEALERSHIP IS FULL OF CRAP, MOBIL 1 HAS BEEN KNOWN FOR A LONG TIME AS BEING ONE OF THE BEST SYNTHETIC OILS!!
guns.gif

There are actually some synthetics that have a high amount of friction modifiers that could lead to clutch slippage. You are not going to have a problem with any that are designed specifically for motorcycles.

From Mobil’s web site.

Okay. Let's start with Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars does not?

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

<span style='color:darkblue'>The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads.

In addition, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars. (Updated September 2006)
</span>

I have heard of several using automotive Mobil1 oils with success. However, I'll stick with the MXT-4

There are some many myths about synthetics out there.

If you are worried about you clutch, pull it down and replace the springs with new ones. You'll also want swap out some thin steels for thick to bring the total stack height to 1.98" to 2"

I have to laugh at this statenent:
laugh.gif

Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines [/Quote]
Uuh...duh,unless you are running a Briggs and Stratton on yer bike,this goes for just about any vehicle....

I run the mobil 1 ...no problems

(jjmetheny @ Jan. 14 2007,00:58) I run Mobil 1 15-50 synthetic for cars in my turbo bike without a problem.
as do I
beerchug.gif

(snakeyezzz @ Jan. 13 2007,19:07) This is for those of you that use Mobil-1 MXT-4(?) synthetic oil. Have you had any problem with clutch slipping? I was at the stealership yesterday and they said not to use it because I will slip the clutch. I talked to the other stealership the week before and they said that was a very good oil to use. I have done research on oils and never saw anything about this in any of the reports that I read. Just wondering if they are full of crap or if I should listen to them.

Thanks
That is one of the better oils out there...I have NEVER heard of anybody having any trouble with it
wink.gif

Mobil 1 MXT-4 works like a charm for 23,500 miles been using since 1000 miles. No slippage at all..... The dealership is wrong on this.

Back