clutch slip problem

imoXu2

Registered
Gday fellas,

Had to get a new account as I couldnt remember my old pword its been so long.

Anyway, I have an 03 busa, with 60,000 km on it (40K miles), the bike gets ridden reasonbly hard on the street but never dragged or raced.

Recently I have developed a clutch slip under high load and in high gear.
Like powering onto the freeway.
Clutch feels like its slips then grabs. so I get a quick surge in revs. Its a bit off putting and is causing me distress ;)

Im fairly certain this is not wheel spin, as this problem is new and I know this bike pretty well.

Anyway, I assume a clutch doest last forever; does this soud like the symptoms of an old clutch that needs replacing or does it sound like something else?
Could it be the oil? Its due for an oil change, should I do that then see what happens?

Thanks for the tips.
If it does need new clutch bits I would like to replace it with something that doesnt 'grab' when I launch. advice? thanks

moX

Last edited:
Not knowing how you ride, I'd say open it up and inspect. If you find glazing or bare metal on the fibers, replace the parts, THEN change the oil and flter.

if you're getting wheelspin in 6th at highway speeds, you REALLY need to turn the boost down.

Measure the clutch pack height should be 50MM, a set of HD springs coupled with a set of 150 thousandths shims should help, but a two stage lock-up might be your best remedy. Good luck.. G

I have an 03 busa, with 60,000 km on it (40K miles), the bike gets ridden reasonably hard on the street but never dragged or raced.

That many miles with "reasonably hard on" is hard on more miles than say a 1/4 mile run or two equals a mile say is you do the math, I'm bad at it. That clutch pack is wasted she spins @high loads.

I would not even bother with an inspection. Swap out ALL discs for new OEM or live with the drag and your poor toes hurting, you trying to find N with aftermarketwhatjamacallits.

Note the direction of the old plates and reinstall the new ones the same way. In other words, the cut side of the steel plate all line up the same.

:welcome: Back !! :beerchug:

Look into the Brock's clutch kit when you do your clutch. It really locks the clutch up nicely and takes out the jerking and grabbing that can occur during hard acceleration in 1st gear :thumbsup:

Back