'04 Slipping Clutch update

Thrust

Registered
Well, dropped it off at the dealer this morning at 9am and was told they would look into the problem and call Suzuki to see if they had any ideas as to what could be making the clutch slip. Got a call around 1pm saying the bike was ready and that Suzuki had suggested re-bleeding the system and removing some fluid from the master cylinder. Suzuki said that too much fluid in the master cylinder wouldn't let the piston fully return and this was exaserbated by the heat. So dealer re-bled and drained some fluid out of the master cylinder and took it on an 8 mile test ride to confirm everything was okay. I went to pick the bike up and within 10mins the clutch was slipping again only now it is worse than before.

I called the dealer back asking him to have Suzuki overnight a new clutch assembly and master cylinder (master cylinder was their recommendation). He calls back and said Suzuki doesnt' want to replace any parts until they can do some research on the bike and find out what is the exact problem. I explained to him that this was unsatisfactory and I would like for them to have the parts on hand just in case they tore into the motor and discovered the clutch was the culprit. He said Suzuki was unwilling to do this. Although he sided with me he said he would have to contact his district manager (regional rep?) to get permission to do this. I told him politely that I was considering stopping payment on my cashier's check and bringing them the bike back.

Anyone have any suggestions? If I stop payment on the cashier's check what can be done?

TIA

Damn, the whole situation just plain sucks. Not sure what a stopped payment would do, but they can't expect you to just drop 10 g's and sit by idley watching while they try to figure out a factory defect at your expense. Seeings how the miles were minimal, (I believe sopmething like 8 miles when you first notified of the problem) somebody owes you a new bike.

Jusy my .02

tell them to replace the clutch master cylinder. it has an internal leak which causing air buble to go in the lines.

Sounds like a load of b.s. to me. No reason that you should pay that kind of money for anything and have those types of problems. I wish I knew what to tell you other than I would be pissed!

Give them there 3 shots at fixing it.
Then use the lemon law and get a new bike.

Get in your dealer's face, have him contact Suzuki while you are there and tell them your will use the lemon law and by the
way...7,000 members on this site are watching this very
closely!

who's on first?
wink.gif

how many miles does the bike have on it now? and you got it brand new?

sounds like the dealer needs to step up to the plate here and make it right
rock.gif

Well,

Yesterday morning on the advice of my lawyer (personal friend......not hired) I went to issue a stop payment on the check. The bank Ok'ed the stop payment but then after about 15 mins. called me back and said they could not issue a stop payment unless the check was lost or stolen.

So I dropped the bike off at the dealer again. This time I made sure it was fully warm so that they could "observe" the clutch slipping. The service manager took the bike out for a spin (of the clutch....lol) and it was slipping so badly he was unable to pull the bike into the garage it had to be pushed.

Yesterday after work I stopped by the dealership to see if there was any progress. They had drained more fluid from the master cylinder and took the bike on another test ride (approx 25 miles) and he said everything seemed to be holding well. I explained to him that this sounded good but I still wanted a new clutch assembly installed in the bike along with fresh oil and filter.

He called this morning and said Suzuki is sending out a clutch assembly and he will install it along with the new oil/filter.

Now, I'm still under the belief that the fluid level in the master cylinder IS NOT the culprit. This is the 3rd time back at the dealership and if, after the new clutch, the problem reappears I will be trying to get the lemon law applied.

Anyone know what the level of fluid in the clutch master cylinder should be? Right now they currently have the level just above the "low" mark in the viewing window.

TIA

The problem is with the bike and how Suzuki is trying to handle it. The dealer wants to correct the problem as much as you do. I know its hard but be patient they either will fix your bike or replace it.

Back