Sliders

(ibified @ Jan. 15 2007,08:05) Monster: If you get a minute, I'd like to hear about the tool you made to install the sliders. I assume it was used to center your cut on the fairing.   I just got my bike last Wednesday, and plan on getting sliders on before riding season here.  Since I tend to be a perfectionist, i don't want to have any more gap around my sliders than necessary.  Thanks!
In the photo I'm going to post below it's the sharpened bolt on the right.  I simply replaced the engine mount bolt with the bolt I sharpened and threaded it in to approx where I thought was right.  Replaced my fairings and gently tapped around the bolt with the bottom of a fist.  When you remove the fairings you have a pin prick of exactly where to drill.  I then took a 1/8th" drill and drilled a pilot hole.  After that I replaced the fairing on the bike.  I took masking tape and did a large area around my pilot hole.  I drilled with a 1 7/8th" hole saw - the slider I used is 1 3/4" so I ended up with a 1/16th" all the way around.  I drilled the fairing with the holesaw while it was on the bike.  My drill has a level indicator - that halped me to get the proper angle up & down - some help from my wife I was able to get the proper angle from left to right and drill the hole to the exact location.  If you try to drill the large hole with the fairing off the bike it won't come out as good.  Too many angles and a lot of assuming.  Take your time and go slow and you will not fail.  Any more questions plz PM me and I'll give you my number.

Here's the picture that I mentioned. The tool on the left is a homemade front axle removal tool
beerchug.gif

DSCF0003-1.jpg

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 15 2007,11:57) I have a set of Vortex sliders sitting here ready to be mounted.

1. Purchased these because I know a lot of guys have Vortex, you can easily replace the puck heads and they are locally HQ here if any problems should arise (for what that's worth).  Are these as good as any other sliders?

2. What kind of drilling head fixture will I need to make the cut?

3. Also, I've been told to leave at least an 1/8" space around the slider because you don't want the slider touching your fairing or damaging it if it bends in a fall.  Is this correct?

4.Will using a dremmel sander for finishing mess the fiberglass up?  Not sure how fiberglass will respond to the high RPM dremmel.
OE - see my method. Any doubts I can help. I would only advise the Dremel in the event of an ooops. Otherwise a brand new holesaw will do exactly what you need.

Monster: thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I';ll let you know how it comes out. It's an 8MM bolt that I need, correct?

(heavybusa @ Jan. 15 2007,20:41)
(monster @ Jan. 15 2007,20:01) Here's the picture that I mentioned.  The tool on the left is a homemade front axle removal tool  
beerchug.gif

DSCF0003-1.jpg
Nice work bro.
Thanks Greg. The mids you hooked me up with came out sweet too
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

(monster @ Jan. 15 2007,17:08)
(Over_Easy @ Jan. 15 2007,11:57) I have a set of Vortex sliders sitting here ready to be mounted.

1. Purchased these because I know a lot of guys have Vortex, you can easily replace the puck heads and they are locally HQ here if any problems should arise (for what that's worth). Are these as good as any other sliders?

2. What kind of drilling head fixture will I need to make the cut?

3. Also, I've been told to leave at least an 1/8" space around the slider because you don't want the slider touching your fairing or damaging it if it bends in a fall. Is this correct?

4.Will using a dremmel sander for finishing mess the fiberglass up? Not sure how fiberglass will respond to the high RPM dremmel.
OE - see my method. Any doubts I can help. I would only advise the Dremel in the event of an ooops. Otherwise a brand new holesaw will do exactly what you need.
Well do! Thanks.

So did it work out ? Was it an 8 mm bolt? I'm thinking about doing the same mod. Can you just pull the engine mount bolt out or does the engine need to be supported? Monster can you post a pic of the hole saw you used? Thnkas up front guys ...
bowdown.gif

Monster: I got them done using your method with sharpening the 8mm bolt - worked like a charm. I tapped gently around it until i got a tiny little dimple on the front side of the frame slider, then dtilled through it with a 1/8th" bit. After that, I moved up to the drill bit that is in my hole saw. Once I had that done, I pulled the standard bit out of my hole saw (with 1 3/4" hole saw on it) and put in an extra long bit for the center. Once I had it in, i slid it into the hole where the bolt went as a guide (after I had put the fairing back on the bike) and then just drilled it out. I have a perfect 1/16th inch all the way around my sliders after a little dremel work.

Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To anyone whos worried about cutting into those beautiful fairings, I can assure you that it isn't that bad. Just be sure all your bits (including the hole saw) are good and sharp, and take your time.

Here's the results - I must say that the sharpened bolt was an EXCELLENT idea. I'm super happy with how it came out:

100_0430.jpg

hey guys
how long is good? and why?
i feel the longer would protect more.
give me so of your opinions why you all put on the size you did.
i have seen everything from 3" to 5"
thanks
beerchug.gif

Ditto on that! Midknight1300 went down friday at MAYBE 10mph and caused bout $3500 in damage. He said sliders would've saved the $$. So now i'm a big fan of this. 8mm bolt, how long from tip of point to end of thread? I'll be ordering some soon. I was gonna save for PCIII but this is definitely next

Back