Need Slider Info

Mikeynuts

Registered
Now I know there are different types of sliders, (No-cut or mod required frame sliders, bar ends, swing arm) but I wanted to know if anyone has ever seen sliders that protect a Busa's dual cannons(pipes)? Are the brackets which the pipes are mounted to strong enough? And can anyone recommend a good brand of sliders? I was leaning towards Lockhart Phillips. Thanks

I do not know of any that protect the cans. What I am running and prefer are called RaceRailz. They are more sturdy than just normal frame sliders in my opinion. You have 2 mounting points for each rail instead of just one so they will not fold over like what has happened to some people here when they dropped thebike or crashed.
One thing that may be a problem or issue for you if you do go with the RaceRailz is the fact that they come so far back you may hit your shin on them until you get used to riding with them and realize they are there. That was the only issue I had with them other than the fact that you do not get instructions with them, but they are fairly simple to install.
IMG00099-20090504-1747.jpg

IMG00097-20090504-1746.jpg

IMG00099-20090504-1747.jpg

IMG00097-20090504-1746.jpg

Last edited:
Lurch, do you need to cut the plastics to install?
Yes just like normal frame sliders. It really is easy though. I was scared at first also, but no need to psych yourself out. Myself and Acehole hAve both found easy ways to do it. All be it Aceholes is easier and better in my opinion but does cost a little more if you do not have the tools.

I have LOTS of tools, what was the method of cutting the correct hole in the correct area? I have heard there is little to NO instructions for the install. But as it looks, it can't be too tough to do. Does the front mounting point bolt to the frame, or, does it use a bracket?

Last edited:
I have LOTS of tools, what was the method of cutting the correct hole in the correct area? I have heard there is little to NO instructions for the install. But as it looks, it can't be too tough to do. Does the front mounting point bolt to the frame, or, does it use a bracket?

the front uses the front engine mounts and the back uses the rear engine mounts. The kit provides you with new bolts for the front and back.
I used a cheap laser level that i mounted on a tripod. With my bike on a stand and the side fairing off, i aligned the laser dot dead center on the middle of the engine bolt. Then i carefully mounted my side fairing useing the big middle bolt and the big lower rear mounting bolts. Then i marked an X with a sharpie.

I use a Forstner drill bit since it cuts a flat smooth hole. I suggest drilling a 1/16 or 1/8 pilot hole prior to using the Forstner bit because if you are not totally even with the surface of the fairing when you start drilling the bit can "walk" on you and scratch the snot out of your fairing..Yes I know.

The kit also comes with one spacer and i believe that goes on the rear mount on the left side.
My kit also came with 2, 1.5in. by 2.5in flat rubber pads. I put one of them under the bracket on the right side rear. I have frame covers and that rubber piece keeps the bracket from cracking or chipping the frame cover.

Lurch uses the actual ball slider that you have to buy separately on the front end on his. I don't and just went with capping the holes front and back with little plastic caps I found at Lowes.

Lurch helped me get mine installed :thumbsup: so hit either one of us up for directions if you get stuck.

CIMG0574.JPG

CIMG0572.JPG

Thanks for the info, guys. Those rails look pretty sick, and I'm sure they'll prove better than the normal pegs.:bowdown:

race rails are fine for low speed and garage drops...........IMO if at speed, they are gonna tear the bike up.

RG an outfit from england makes can protectors in carbon fiber no less.

still debating on which sliders to get.....

search is always good, search sliders.

race rails are fine for low speed and garage drops...........IMO if at speed, they are gonna tear the bike up.

RG an outfit from england makes can protectors in carbon fiber no less.

still debating on which sliders to get.....

search is always good, search sliders.

I do not see how they could tear the bike up in a "at speed"crash. Please explain. I would am willing to learn. From my work with engineering I do not see it.

I do not see how they could tear the bike up in a "at speed"crash. Please explain. I would am willing to learn. From my work with engineering I do not see it.

sliders slide along the ground and if it hits something blunt, it'll shear

those won't they are SOLID and not giving.

I think he's referring to damage to the frame Lurch.....just my hunch from the way he's putting it.

As for what I used, I prefer a Dremel with a grinding bit and a steady hand!

This might help locating the spot to cut....I have put a hole saw on the engine mount bolt (teeth facing out) and put the panels back on...tighten down within reason...and the teeth will dent the foam on the back panel where you need to cut. You can also mount the slider on the bolt and get the same results.

Acehole, thanks for the info. Where did you buy them?
Powers Stuntworx - Race Railz

would be the place to get them.

As for at speed crashes, I do not for see frame danage happening I see the big flipping and other stuff happening. Just my Opinion. If I do a High speed get off I will report about it for sure. But I just see these as being better than plain sliders. These are not perfect but better from what Ican tell and talking with My dad (Mechanical Engineer Manager P.E.) and some if his boys. Maybe him and I should get together and design the perfect product.

Went to the link but I didn't see an exact pic or reference to the GenII cage...is it the same for GenI and II?

ive actually been in a 60 mph crash with railz on my bike and no damage to the frame occurred. The damage was still pretty bad, nothing is really gonna completely save your bike, but the best thing about the railz is that they keep the bike off your body, i suggest getting the extended sliders with them. If in fact you do go down, the bike will slide off you and not break your leg. I was very happy i decided to put them on, a great product

Back