Sliders... Lose 'em?

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I'm considering losin' the sliders when (IF) I ever get around to doin' my repaint. Don't know why, but they've just lost their appeal to me. Seen a few bikes with bent frames from bein' laid down with sliders, too. I'd rather replace the hell outta some fairings than to bend the frame if I end up lowsidin' 'er. As much as I love hangin' 'er ass out in those turns it's bound to happen, too.
drooling3.gif
Also, looks to me like I'll still have to repaint the lowers even if she just lays over onto the ground while sittin' still, so I'm thinkin' of cleanin' 'er lines back up and gettin' rid of them.

I'm thinkin' about swappin' my lowers and sliders/hardware for a good set of lowers without holes. May just put 'em up with the other stock body work and buy a set of painter lowers but if I do that it'll just delay my paint job that much longer. It's already on hold due to an unexpected household expense so no money for buying any more painter parts right now.

Let's hear the yay's and nay's... lose 'em or not? What would you do?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078797527 -->

its insurance BT . If ya ride like an' animal....keep them . I had them on my 2000 gix 750 . On the Bus....no, I wont have them . I'm not thrilled with the look . Reminds me of training wheels...no fuggin' way was I havin' those as a kid.
Insurance(in all forms).....it suks ...till ya need it . Then, from what i've seen , you still get fugged .

hav a good one RSD.

I was going to put them on but i don't like the look.
Probably smart to have them, but I've never been accused of being to smart. Look forward to seeing da train with new paint.
cool.gif

Hmm... I have heard that they work well to protect things, especially in a garage speed tip over. But if they do not... then your just assing up the looks of the bike for no good reason....

BT....can say for sure that the slidre will definitely help in those minor tip-overs. Mine got tipped, and al she suffered was a minor scratch on the stator cover and a minor scratch on the can. Not vrey small, but you'd have to look ttwice to see that the scratches were there.

I heard that the carbon sliders have a tendency to grab sometimes...therefore sending yer baby for an even nastier spill. I had a couple of friends test their sliders on their bikes....one was a 600 and the other was a 750. Both frames still solid. Sliders scratched up and bent a little, but did their job beautifully. One was at speed...about 30-45mph....other one was around 20-25.

I was wary about putting them on, but I figured that I shouldn't have to spend for a minor tip-over.

just my .02

i'm for them 2 i just wrecked doin 60 and the frame slider bent but the bolt stayed straight and the frame was in tact so i guess im stickin with them

well, there ya go...some good testimonial. Ya got any shots of that, Phats?

Stick with em BT. I remember the job you did putting them on. Still looks good. I don't think is A$$'s up the looks of the bike at all.

Kinda makes it look hard core.
cool.gif

I dunno BT.

Custom paint + on the looks.
sliders - on the looks.

I just dunno....

I thought you are going more for the dragstrip this year?

Here's my thing, if they actually do their freakin job then I am all for them... Cookie I think is a fan of them only if they are Nylon or a similar plastic because they do not grab and cause more damage.

Bullet, you paid good money for them and the install is pretty tight, all things considered they are prolly worth keeping...

I thought you are going more for the dragstrip this year?
Well, I do plan to hit the strip this year but at the same time I've grown very fond of them twisties so I can't give that up completely. She'll have to pull both duties until I can afford a second bike for ridin' the twisties. Don't see that happenin' for quite a while.
wink.gif

Here's my thing, if they actually do their freakin job then I am all for them... Cookie I think is a fan of them only if they are Nylon or a similar plastic because they do not grab and cause more damage.  

Bullet, you paid good money for them and the install is pretty tight, all things considered they are prolly worth keeping...
Don't know if you've seen the LP carbons in person but they are made of some sort of plastic with a carbon sleeve around them for looks. I feel better with something like this than I would a solid metal slider. They should give and grind off or even break off instead of catching and/or bending the frame. Maybe I'll just keep 'em and hope they're never put to the test!
wink.gif

No BT...keep them...they'll potentially save you from certain paint/plastic damage in a garage tip over...I surely would have been much happier in my gravel driveway tip overs if I'd had them! You've seen the damage I had; I bet I wouldn't have replaced fairings if I'd had sliders...

Keep them...you did a great, clean job with the install...

I say keep 'em.. I love the look of the LP CF sliders (probably why I got a set) and I'm glad I have mine on, although I haven't 'needed' them yet. What the heck BT.. they're paid for!
biggrin.gif

Well BT, my opinion here might not matter much, but I'll offer my thoughts anyway. I had a crash last year at Laguna that wasn't very pretty. I had just installed a new set of frame sliders about a week or two before. Good thing about it was that I only had damage to the left side fairing. Only scuffed the paint and was repairable just by simply sanding and repainting. The bike fell and slid on pea-gravel. The slider was bent back slightly, but was easily removed and could be used again. But I decided to order a new set from 58cycle.com and told them about my accident. Don't you know those guys were nice enough to send me another set free of charge. They make some highly polished aluminum sliders that look great on a Busa. The set I have is the same set that LoBusa has (well, actually she copied me...). Trust me, I think that you would really dig a set from 58cycle. Would save you quite a bit of money in the long run. Just my .02, but it can sometime be worth a million bucks.

Brian

I like them. Plus they will save the fairings. I had to polish mine to match the rest of the bike though.

Back