Single topic debate #6

Projekt

Registered
So give your opinion of whether Discovery channel is a Conservative or Liberal channel. I watch a lot of the programming on this channel for the sheer entertainment value. However, I have noticed a trend of the material hinting at or blatantly shouting conservative propaganda.
There was a program on recently about human sexuality that had all of the standard conservative nonsense talking about promiscuity and deviant behavior. Exploring one's urges was labeled unconventional behavior and taboo. I am not talking about any BrokeBack stuff just hetero with multiple partners... It grouped a number of personalities together and suggested that these people were not normal in their impulses and method of dealing with them. Meeting someone at a venue and taking them for a "roll in the hay" that day was called "hyper-sexual" and or deviant...
So chime in with your thoughts.
The Deviant

If the Discovery Channel is in fact Conservative propoganda, it would be a welcome respite for me in the face of all the liberal garbage I'm constantly having to shield my kids from on prime-time TV. Even the commercials which interrupt the "safe" shows we watch as a family are often filled with "hyper-sexual" content and the underlying propoganda that glorifies such behavior and treats it as normal and mainstream. The elite left might be well served by stepping out of their bubble from time to time, and observing some of the values of the endangered and disintegrating traditional family. Believe it or not, there are a few of us in "middle America" who have lives and families that are just a tad different than those portrayed in the not-so-subtle propoganda of shows like Desperate Housewives or Will and Grace. (selected only because they were the first two of many which come to mind...) I dare anyone to pull out the TV Guide and go through the listings... I think you'll see that even if the DC is "conservative propoganda", it is a lone voice in the wilderness at this point.

Pojekt, don't think so damn hard. It's the freakin' Discovery channel with most shows along the lines of Mythbusters, Extreme Engineering and Dirty Jobs for cryin' out loud.

Only political BS involved is all the recent 1 year anniversery Katrina BS. Only in a city where the residents are as inept as the local politicians would they re-elect those same politicians after they totally failed them. Oh and don't forget crack-head Marion Barry in DC. Don't get me wrong Feds weren't prepared either but the mayor and governor need to take the brunt of blame. Long live Chocolate City!
laugh.gif

Point is: Discovery Channel is just fun learning entertainment. No polotical slant that I can see, just common sense.

No argument there Warren...
I enjoy the programming so much because it is not in your face sexuality like everything else... As far as I've seen lately, Discovery Channel is the only mainstream broadcaster that foregoes the marketability of Sexually charged shows for more wholesome family-friendly and educational entertainment. That kind of stuff is great, it just seems that in other shows such as documentaries about "The Da'Vinci Code" they have a very conservative almost zealous take on the facts.. Then you also have all of the supernatural oriented programming that details the happenings in the homes of people who seem to see things that hint at spiritualism and phantasm. Those seem to do very little de-bunking of the concept of ghosts and hauntings.

Over_Easy,
My thinking is effortless, it is just the way my mind works. I am a naturally analytical person and thoughts like these come to me without me trying. I see trends in everything I am exposed to for a period of time. Its just who I am.

One needs to research who owns and operates the channel. I read somewhere once but do not remember correctly so I can not comment.

hogger...

Did you hear the latest about New Orleans. Spike Lee claims that white people blew the levees so they would give way! I don't know what to think. People are saying things that are just plum crazy anymore!

Yeah that whole levee sabotage thing started with Farrakhan and his followers. Honestly though, had the mayor done his job and been proactive, the whole thing could have been averted. Now, I would love to buy up a whole city block in the flood zone and redevelop it. You all know that is what will happen. All them folks will sell off their homes since most did not have insurance and those with coverage were shistered out of payouts due to technicalities such as the damage being flood related and not Hurricane damage. When a large population of real taxpayers moves into that district, the government will fund proper levees and flood protection.

Back