Single topic debate #2

well it seems that it would have always existed and was never created, since it cant be created or destroyed it has no begining or end. I dont really understand it and have no idea how to explain it with what I know today. But that's the facts, as far as I know them.

So that is the when and how sorta, as for the there part?

Well matter is the there, you cant have a there for it to get to with out matter to comprise the there for it to get to.

<!--EDIT|warwgn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156942118 -->

you cant give up yet, my post count hasent hit 500 yet
tounge.gif

True, but the matter was always there in some form.
Really...

Please show conclusive scientific proof that matter pre-existed time.

Unless of course this is just an assumption...  ;)
matter can not be created or destroyed, only re arranged. So it has always been around in some form or another.
Sorry Dustin, I'm a simple country bumpkin and I don't see in your reply any conclusive scientific proof that matter pre-existed time. So I suppose from this point I'll just consider your assertion of the eternality of matter as an a priori assumption.

In other words, something you just assume and accept on faith. Funny how that works.
wink.gif

Conservation of Matter...

All well and fine until the nuclear age. If I may suggest to you and if you would please consider:

Einstein's special theory of relativity shows us that matter and energy can be exchanged, so to speak, so that matter can in fact be destroyed and energy can in fact be created.

So, if you're going to continue to suppose the eternality of matter you have to suppose the eternality of energy as well. All well and fine except that you can't even come up with conclusive scientific proof that matter pre-existed time, not alone that matter and energy pre-existed time.

Additionally, please consider, physical laws didn't exist before the Planck Era (10 -43 seconds after the Big Bang) so, since you suppose the eternality of matter and energy based on the Conservation of Matter and the Conservation of Energy, you've burdened yourself with showing how Conservation of Matter and the Conservation of Energy apply.

Even more daunting, should you somehow come up with a proof as to why Conservation of Matter and Conservation of Energy apply, you've also burdened yourself with coming up with an explanation as to how this changeless, non-personal, infinitely dense singularity of eternal matter and energy somehow changed itself -- that's cause and effect by the way -- into the big bang from which time and space originate (The Islamic Principle of Determination is a strong proof that this would require a Personal Force as opposed to a Non-Personal Force and, I think we would agree, the singularity of eternal matter and energy would be Non-Personal).

Then, supposing you can explain how all of this happened, come up with an explanation as to why this singularity hadn't changed itself into the big bang an eternity ago as opposed to just 65 billon years ago (Set Theory declares that any part of an Infinite Set is equal to the whole).

String Theory or Quantum Vacuum Theory might interest you, but you're still left with somehow explaining away Cause and Effect. And bear in mind, Occam's Razor tells us to not multiply entities beyond necessity.

What you'll end up with (or more accurately I should say what I ended up with) is what's known as an Infinite Regress of Causes; something not possible in reality (tis in theory).

Dustin, please don't get me wrong - you may certainly believe in the eternality of anything you wish. But is the eternality of matter and energy really the most reasonable conclusion...

oh, matter EXISTED forever all right... it was just all balled up and suffered this huge BANG! .... I got pictures of that....

smile.gif
I wish A6 would start some discussions once in awhile... You ge wheels actually turning and pointed somewhere instead of just doing burnouts.
wink.gif

Dustin, please don't get me wrong - you may certainly believe in the eternality of anything you wish.  But is the eternality of matter and energy really the most reasonable conclusion...
down.gif
well it was, at least my understanding of it.

Like I have said I dont have all the answers, and I will always be looking for them. As you have clearly pointed out, science requires proof of statments, and that proof changes with our understanding of it so we must revise our statments or completly change them in light of new evidence. I will need to further study the questions you have asked to give a better answer.

But for now, I must stick to my current understanding of physics and say matter has always existed. I may not be correct but thats how I understand it for now, but after much study of the subject I may change my statement.

What's the need to worry?

if you are good, you will go to heaven, and there will be nothing to worry about.

If you are bad, you will go to hell, then you will be so busy shaking the hands of your friends that you wont have time to worry.
Define "good" the bible says the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life.  We can't earn it by our "works".  If you're think you're a good person..got to the website link scroll to the bottom right hand corner and take the test.

God bless
BD

Are You a Good Person?

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157028007 -->

Wow - not to jump in here, but is there no room for faith in both creation and evolution?
Although not the same, aren't faith and hope somewhat interrelated?
I don't want to completely jump the tracks here, but I HOPE that someday, my son will not suffer from Diabetes. I have FAITH (I BELIEVE) in our scientific pursuit of medical knowledge that one day, a cure will be discovered.

I cannot prove that there was a big bang, but if it makes sence to me (not saying it does) can I not have faith that technological advances might one day better enable us to conclusively prove evolution?

I cannot prove that there is a god (not saying I believe), but things happen everyday that make us understand that there has to be more going on than what we see, that we can all be more than what we are.

The question in these kinds of debates to me boils down to passion and discussion -I refuse to refer to intelligent debate, because people often confuse intelligence with education, or the ability to find some obscure quote in a book or on the internet and proclaim intelligence based on a pronounciation of "indisputable facts" that have no source or reference.

The mistake that many people make in these kinds of conversations is trying to sway opinion by preaching to the converted amassing the power of numbers - sometimes successful in gaining acquiescence through peer pressure.

Sorry for jumping in, please return to your regularly scheduled debate...

Wow - not to jump in here, but is there no room for faith in both creation and evolution?
Although not the same, aren't faith and hope somewhat interrelated?
I don't want to completely jump the tracks here, but I HOPE that someday, my son will not suffer from Diabetes.  I have FAITH (I BELIEVE) in our scientific pursuit of medical knowledge that one day, a cure will be discovered.  

I cannot prove that there was a big bang, but if it makes sence to me (not saying it does) can I not have faith that technological advances might one day better enable us to conclusively prove evolution?  

I cannot prove that there is a god (not saying I believe), but things happen everyday that make us understand that there has to be more going on than what we see, that we can all be more than what we are.

The question in these kinds of debates to me boils down to passion and discussion -I refuse to refer to intelligent debate, because people often confuse intelligence with education, or the ability to find some obscure quote in a book or on the internet and proclaim intelligence based on a pronounciation of "indisputable facts" that have no source or reference.

The mistake that many people make in these kinds of conversations is trying to sway opinion by preaching to the converted amassing the power of numbers - sometimes successful in gaining acquiescence through peer pressure.

Sorry for jumping in, please return to your regularly scheduled debate...
I personally have NO idea how the creator decided to make things happen, maybe He used the "Big Bang" LOL.  I completely agree with one thing He created it all, including the intellect to create new interventions in medicine.  So like Psalms 24:1 says "The earth is the Lords and the fullness thereof, and they that dwell therein".  The problem is when men take their intellect and use it to try and eliminate God from the equation.

God bless,
BD  

Oh yeah MC I like the sig banner!

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157034452 -->

See how much fun we're having? Debates tween SUZ and KAWs can only go so far, but THIS can go for EVER. Neither side able to completely prove their side... the evolutionists confining themselves inside a box that can only be explained using things they have self defined and already know about.... the creationists attempting to explain that faith IS faith because there is no proof - as proof enough. all of it narrows down to what I said on page 2 or 3, I fergit, IS THERE A GOD.

If there is not, we are dumb animals who have evolved to a point where we misdirect our own life away from what we, as domb animals ought to be living for: food, sleep, sex, fun. Yet we spend thousands of hours wondering, searching, speculating, defining and exploring our origin which we can neither change, re-create, nor alter. THERE's a valuable purpose for our 80 years of life. WAY TO GO, PRIMORDIAL GOO!! See how far you've come!

If there is a God, weunderstand our purpose, have direction, are allowed and encouraged to enjoy what we can do in life: help each other get more food, sleep, sex, fun as long as we acknoledge the designer and thank him for it. Not much of a price to pay to get to the end of life and feel like you were somebody, and not just $27 of flesh.

Other than these occasional outings, I never think twice about HOW I was created, I just thank God I was and do what I can to pay back the favor.

Good luck to you guys searching for the answers. The direction of that only leads to more questions. Tell me I'm wrong there. I cheated and read the book.... and felt I UNDERSTOOD it.
CreationMonkey.jpg

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "oooh! Had to add that pic! :D"|1157045232 -->

Good luck to you guys searching for the answers.  The direction of that only leads to more questions.  
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Bingo !</span>

With "faith" there are <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>No</span> questions .

Dustin, please don't get me wrong - you may certainly believe in the eternality of anything you wish.  But is the eternality of matter and energy really the most reasonable conclusion...
down.gif
well it was, at least my understanding of it.

Like I have said I dont have all the answers, and I will always be looking for them. As you have clearly pointed out, science requires proof of statments, and that proof changes with our understanding of it so we must revise our statments or completly change them in light of new evidence. I will need to further study the questions you have asked to give a better answer.
Well sir, that's all anyone could ask for...

But for now, I must stick to my current understanding of physics and say matter has always existed. I may not be correct but thats how I understand it for now, but after much study of the subject I may change my statement.[/QUOTE]

Then as we're shaking hands, please consider that it isn't in the realm of Physics to say that matter pre-existed time, but rather, in the realm of Metaphysics.

As to exactly when physical laws as we know them began, well, it's a mess of opinions. I think the majority falls somewhere in the couple of seconds after the Big Bang crowd, some will say that they began at the end of the Lepton Era (1 second), some at the end of the Quark Era (.0001 second) and some will fall as early as the GUT Era (10 -35 second). But bear in mind, even by that time in the birth of our universe we're still talking about a singularity about 10(75) gm/cm3, at 10,000 trillion trillion degrees, composition unknown.

Not exactly a solid foundation on which to base an opinion concerning its origin.

Stay safe and don't stop searching.

OFFICER ON DECK! Sir - Excellent question to which I'll answer, exactly, yes.

In fact, both evolution and creation are based entirely on faith (gasp).

Let me explain.

Earlier in the thread I kept reading statements along the lines of 'all the evidence points to evolution' and 'there's no evidence for creation' and 'creation is only a Christian thing' and 'if you want to follow science you'll accept evolution. If you want to follow myths fairy tales and fantasys you'll follow creation', etc., etc..

When in reality, both the evolutionist and the creationist use the same evidence - the same 'facts'...

They're both pointing to the same earth, the same solar system, the same galaxy, the same universe. They're both using the same laws of physics, the same scientific data -- yet interpreting them through very different eyeglasses. It's not a lack of paper on either side, but rather, how the paper is being interpreted.

Now at this point I'll put on my Creationist suit and say that, once all the facts are considered and weighed, once all the arguments are thoroughly digested, the most reasonable conclusion is Creationism. That having been said, while there are many strong proofs of Creationism, I can't PROVE Creationism anymore than an evolutionist can PROVE evolution.

If we want to talk facts, the simple fact of the matter is that neither camp can PROVE their side. Neither camp can KNOW for an absolute certainty. Both must rely entirely on (gasp again) faith.

They must both take up the burden of considering and weighing all the evidence, chewing over all the arguments, and reaching the most reasonable conclusion.

But this is grueling work and most folks simply don't want to do it. Hence, my signature line...

Although not the same, aren't faith and hope somewhat interrelated?[/QUOTE]

You'll likely get two different answers to this one.

My answer to you is - Secularly, yes. Theologically, no.

Faith based on pure 'hope' is no better than faith based on pure chance. Theologically speaking, faith MUST be grounded - faith must be substance and evidence.

While entirely my opinion as a Theist, and having nothing but my opinion on which to stand, I believe that each man will be held accountable for what they did with the intelligence they were given. The man to whom much was given, and for whom faith was a matter of pure chance not having bothered with substance and evidence, will not be a happy camper standing before his Creator. Again, purely my opinion.

The question in these kinds of debates to me boils down to passion and discussion -I refuse to refer to intelligent debate, because people often confuse intelligence with education, or the ability to find some obscure quote in a book or on the internet and proclaim intelligence based on a pronounciation of "indisputable facts" that have no source or reference. [/QUOTE]

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what you've just said, but I'll refer to an obscure quote from a forgotten source (
tounge.gif
) from long ago:

Debate, in order to be meaningful, has to come from the inside of your hair.

The mistake that many people make in these kinds of conversations is trying to sway opinion by preaching to the converted amassing the power of numbers - sometimes successful in gaining acquiescence through peer pressure. [/QUOTE]

Like Busas -vs- ZXs ?

Sorry
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Sir...

(like a good Marine I begin and end with 'Sir'...)

If we want to talk facts, the simple fact of the matter is that neither camp can PROVE their side.  Neither camp can KNOW for an absolute certainty.  Both must rely entirely on (gasp again) faith.  [/QUOTE]
Although not nearly as eloquently stated as is your response, I think that to a degree we say the same thing with regard to faith.  I have come to learn that many of the facts on which we base everything from stategic decision making to our idealogy, is little more than socially accepted (maybe even constructed) "truth".  What do the largest numbers believe?  Then go with that.  This is why we are constantly seeing challenges to and changes to academic theory as well as things such as the classification of planets.  With respect to the topic of discussion, I agree that we have not yet accumulated enough data to point definatively to one over the other; we are left to choose which we believe.
But this is grueling work and most folks simply don't want to do it.[/QUOTE]
This is definately true - it seems that many times people are content to just be handed the information and told how to interpret it, rather than evaluate it on merit for themselves.
Faith based on pure 'hope' is no better than faith based on pure chance.  Theologically speaking, faith MUST be grounded - faith must be substance and evidence.[/QUOTE]
As I understand what you are saying here, it is that faith itself is the evidence and substance.  I agree that in a sence, hope is little more than optimism.  Faith then is based off of what?  Is faith learned?  Is faith encultured?  Is faith developed purely through the study of available knowledge and a subsequent assumption of the direction of knowledge development?  
Does this mean that I have faith (belief) in Heaven because of my study of the bible or rather that I study the bible because of my belief (faith) in Heaven?  In other words, does opinon determine the results of the polls or do the polls guide opinion?

Like Busas  -vs-  ZXs ? [/QUOTE]

Nice dig, and your statement is proven every time some troll joins the board and starts spouting off about the ZX - the troll gets abused for spouting an unpopular idea - whether the trollish statements hold any merit, or not.

I had fun reading your response and I think you are passionate about your ideas.

Semper Fidelis -

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157081391 -->

As I understand what you are saying here, it is that faith itself is the evidence and substance.  I agree that in a sence, hope is little more than optimism.  Faith then is based off of what?  Is faith learned?  Is faith encultured?  Is faith developed purely through the study of available knowledge and a subsequent assumption of the direction of knowledge development?  
Does this mean that I have faith (belief) in Heaven because of my study of the bible or rather that I study the bible because of my belief (faith) in Heaven?  In other words, does opinon determine the results of the polls or do the polls guide opinion?
Both. Our opinions are formed through our perspective and our perspective is influenced by consensus, but the other side of that coin is that we contribute to the consensus that sways opinion that forms consensus that sways opinion that forms consensus - etc.

And Truth stands outside it all and waits, as Truth isn't of consensus or opinion.

As to faith, from a Christian point of view, faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen, but it also has to be based on the substance of the Word and the evidence of Creation. I want to be very careful not to turn this discussion to Christian/Humanism, but I wanted to answer your question.

It's my opinion that those folks who hold to something because their parents believe it, or because their professors believe it, or because their friends believe it - have 'tradition', not faith. It isn't until they take the time to search their own heart that they find their own belief, and with time and testing they build faith in that belief. There is however such a thing as misplaced faith, but we're talking about faith, not necessarily about what in. Unfortunately, many take the easy path and base their belief on consensus.

Semper Fi.

It's my opinion that those folks who hold to something because their parents believe it, or because their professors believe it, or because their friends believe it - have 'tradition', not faith.  
AMEN!!! See it everyday, that's why myself personally am speaking about faith (Romans 10:17 - So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God) which I've both heard and experienced!

What you said about faith vs tradition, THAT WILL PREACH!!!

Back