Single topic debate #13

No thanks.  I don't really need the fed or the state or even the local gov getting involved anymore than they have to...   They suck enough joy out of my life already.  They can't even manage their school districts in most areas and every other social program...

and to be honest I could give a rats ass how many new riders die from over confidence.  If your stupid enough to buy something you can't handle you deserve what you get.

You can't legislate stupid... Thats the problem with this country is that we try to...

There are more car accidents that kill the family in the mini van for all the same reasons as the newby asshat on a high powered bike.  So should we do the same thing with cars... You start off on a go cart
tounge.gif
Yes, start out with go carts and learn driving fundamentals on a track. Learn to recover from a tail skid, learn collision avoidance techniques and be able to apply them in real world conditions before you go onto small cars then incrementally larger vehicles.
The Government needs to give us a return on our investment as diligent taxpayers. Where is the accountability...

Projekt... For once it looks like you and I agree. Well, with the exception of the bikini thread, we finally agree.
laugh.gif

I do not think we need to government telling us what we can or cannot do.  If they start with licensing where would they stop??  

As free citizens we can use our own judgement.  
brave.gif
One the one hand, you seem to suggest that anyone, qualified (read that, "licensed") or not should be able to get behind the wheel of a car and drive.

I'm not completely opposed to that BUT if that person doesn't have the ability to drive correctly, is he or she going to be willing to take the consequences of that?

I'm all for keeping government out of our lives where appropriate, however, this is one of those issues wherein I think people should be licensed, tested, and certified as able to drive a car. The fact that it only costs $15 to get a license for 10 years is ridiculous. But that low cost is a reflection of the woeful state of testing and the abysmally low level of training that exists for drivers in the U.S.

Again, I don't think it's a federal problem, rather it's a state problem and the fed has no business in it.

--Wag--

--Wag--

I think the Goverment is in to much stuff anyways . They would find a way to screw it up .Now if the can figure a way to make money at it, it will happen.

Leave it to the lobbyists... You get a guy with a suitcase full of money in the senate office building or the capital building asking very nicely to enact legislation. That is how they'll make their money...

I do not think we need to government telling us what we can or cannot do.  If they start with licensing where would they stop??  

brave.gif
One the one hand, you seem to suggest that anyone, qualified (read that, "licensed") or not should be able to get behind the wheel of a car and drive.

I'm not completely opposed to that BUT if that person doesn't have the ability to drive correctly, is he or she going to be willing to take the consequences of that?  

I'm all for keeping government out of our lives where appropriate, however, this is one of those issues wherein I think people should be licensed, tested, and certified as able to drive a car.  The fact that it only costs $15 to get a license for 10 years is ridiculous.  But that low cost is a reflection of the woeful state of testing and the abysmally low level of training that exists for drivers in the U.S.

Again, I don't think it's a federal problem, rather it's a state problem and the fed has no business in it.

--Wag--

--Wag--
It is not that difficult to pass a driving test for a car, but what you do when you are on the road later is what matters.

If your an idiot it will show when you are being careless.

I do not buy into the flock mentality of needing to be governed with out my own decisions and I will be responsible for my own decisions.

<!--EDIT|BlueHaya
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157301034 -->

brave.gif

I'm all for keeping government out of our lives where appropriate, however, this is one of those issues wherein I think people should be licensed, tested, and certified as able to drive a car.  The fact that it only costs $15 to get a license for 10 years is ridiculous.  But that low cost is a reflection of the woeful state of testing and the abysmally low level of training that exists for drivers in the U.S.

--Wag--

--Wag--
It is not that difficult to pass a driving test for a car, but what you do when you are on the road later is what matters.

If your an idiot it will show when you are being careless.

I do not buy into the flock mentality of needing to be governed with out my own decisions and I will be responsible for my own decisions.
In general principle, I completely agree with you. Keep the government out of our lives as much as possible. I'm a Libertarian of the first order so I don't have a beef with you on that in the least. As long as I'm not hurting you, leave me the fugg alone. Period.

However, there are certain instances when government regulation serves a useful purpose, especially when people choose to abuse their privileges. Driving is a good example of this. When a guy who is unqualified to drive his vehicle goes out onto the road, he ends up jeopardizing MY safety. It's at that point that it becomes unacceptable to allow this guy to drive simply because his behavior is irresponsible with regard to others.

It's not appropriate, in my opinon at least, to leave public roads (or other facilities) unregulated. Granted, the only reason any of it NEEDS to be regulated is because some irresponsible a-hole somewhere along the way screwed it up for everyone else. I seriously doubt the first car driver had to have a license and probably not any driver for many many years afterward. Horses and buggies? Did those guys have to have licenses?

I know I was riding dirt bikes with no license when I was 10 years old. I knew what I was doing but I didn't behave irresponsibly, either. My old man woulda kick my teeth in if I had!
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

Could there be a way to test right to the top??
In college you can test out to get credit for calsses that you really dont need.???

Similar to the CLEP system.. I would think that a fast track program could be adopted as stated one of my original posts. Of course you would have to present documentary evidence that you have been on two wheels in some form for and extended amount of time.. Maybe something like a racing license? Thing is that you can perform well for the test but when the moose crosses the road you freeze... Or better yet cannot exercise accident avoidance techniques like a quick S swerve... I mean "ya kaint git yo swurv on".

Back