Single topic debate #14

(VaBusa @ Sep. 07 2006,11:01)
(chrisjp @ Sep. 07 2006,13:30) they now have the ability to create stem cells without harvesting...so on with the reasearch...damn the negativity...and by the way god....we can do it better now thanks we will take over....(just a food for thought)
Not sure if that's a jab at the science or if you're just being very "tongue-in-cheek", but for those that struggle with the religious aspects, why not just run with the idea that "God gave man the ability to do good with science" and hope that is indeed what man does with it...

Food for thought...  
smile.gif
intent was to those who are "zelous" religious and are blind enough to not see that what we do would appear "godly" to even our grandparents or greatgrandparents...but to quote and rhetoric like they do to control and manipulate all while looking blindly at the truth of science and its advancements in the benifit of mankind all because it takes money away from thier offering plates...that is my observation and intent

We're taking a view of the subject that is much too narrow. It's important to look at the history of similar things and see how they've turned out. I'm sure everyone can think of one example or another and several have been alluded to above. Remember, religion preached that the earth was the center of the universe and even supported the creation of an odd, badly deformed calculus in order to support the idea. As usual, however, science eventually prevailed and the bizarre mathematics collapsed along with it.

Science has trumped religion more times in the past than we can count. Genetic research is just one more leap forward that we cannot deny ourselves. Yes, science has created products which, when abused, cause great tragedies in our lives. Dynamite is a good example. The internet and computers two more. Well, maybe my coffeepot is an exception!
biggrin.gif
That, however, is true of nearly anything. If it can be used for good, it can be used for evil purposes as well. But don't stop the progress of a thing just because someone MIGHT abuse the privilege of said progress. It's immoral.

Freedom of choice aside, I find it difficult to believe that any god would allow mankind to make any advance which would cause wounds to humanity. Even the Bible says that god will bring an end to it all. So, either god WILL stop the problem eventually OR he isn't worried about it. That's the main reason I don't understand the attitude of religious people who are opposed to such things, now, in the past, and in the future.

Lastly, if indeed Adam and Eve were the first humans, I must point out that our lives have been getting better and better ever since. The pursuit of knowledge can be easily credited.

--Wag--

Back