Signals Flashing Too Fast after LED Install?

boosz

Registered
Just wanted to help anyone out who has upgraded to LED signals and wants to SLOW down the flash rate, WITHOUT installing a BIG (heat generating) resistor that is sold as "THE FIX" for your quick flash rate...  All that you'll need for this mod is an AUTOMOTIVE electronic flasher that is available at ANY automotive parts retailer, a couple of tie wraps, wire crimps or solder and shrink tube, terminal removal tool or ground down slotted screwdriver, wire crimper, two female spade connectors...and about an hour of spare time
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117377405 -->

Here's what I did and some pics .....  It's actually VERY easy to do.  This is where you'll find your turn signal flasher if you don't already know.  It's located under the left side "dash" panel..

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117377432 -->

signal1__Small_.jpg

A little closer look...  the flasher/kickstand interrupt (incorporated together) is the rectangular box located in the right side of the pic.. Beside the FUSE box.

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117352087 -->

signal2__Small_.jpg

Remove the signal flasher and then the two allen bolts on the bottom outside of the bracket and flip the connector over so you can see the bottom side.

signal4__Small_.jpg

You need to either remove the orange/green and the light blue wires from the terminal block or cut them off...  If you are going to remove them, as I did, you only need a small electrical terminal removal tool OR grind down an OLD slotted screwdriver to fit down the outside of the pin (from the top of the block) where the little notch is and slide the wire and terminal out from the bottom.

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117353741 -->

signal10__Small_.jpg

I used the ground down slotted screwdriver. Couldn't find my terminal removal tools!! Figures! They're never around when you need them. I used the cheapy pocket type one.

signal12__Small_.jpg

Crimp on a couple of female spade connectors, I always solder connectors too...... shrink tube around them to protect from shorting and the elements.

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117377546 -->

signal15__Small_.jpg

Plug one terminal onto EITHER of the male spade pins on the bottom of the flasher. It doesn't matter which one goes on which side.

signal18__Small_.jpg

Turn the terminal block back over and bolt it back into place making sure that you don't pinch your siganl wires that you just removed and route them out of the way.  Wrap a tie wrap around something that doesn't move, I used the extra unused mount tab by the FUSE box, and securely fasten the flasher in place!!

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117377634 -->

signal13__Small_.jpg

Plug the OLD signal flasher/kick stand interrupt back into the terminal block.  That way the kick stand interrupt still works! Put the dash cover back on and enjoy the rest of your day!  Took me all of about half an hour to do this.  Now my signals flash at the proper rate and I don't have to worry about a resistor generating HEAT trying to simulate the load of the OLD incandescent bulbs that I've removed. And you can add LOTS more LED's as time goes bye and it will still flash at the correct rate.

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117515280 -->

Well I hope someone finds this of some use!!
Yes I'm really just bumping it back up....... that way if someone needs it they'll find it right here...

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117429584 -->

I edited the topic title man, it sounded to me like you needed help with the flashrate. Wasn't until I looked that I see you have an alternative fix, good work and nicely done walkthrough.

I dunno that this is better than .50 cents worth of resistor though. They might get a little warm but I haven't heard of anyone having problems with resistors... So uh, why is this a better solution?

Hey Rev.....  The reason for me doing it this way was two fold....  Make the flasher a cheaper part to replace, as it will not be incorporated with something else (side stand interrupt).  Secondly, one of the resons for going to LED's, besides the obvious increase in visibility, was because they draw so little on the electrical system.  If you add a resistor to reduce the flash rate, you'll be loosing that gain.  One incandescent bulb will draw about 10 amps to initially light the filament and about 3-5 amps to keep it lit.  LED's only draw about 30 mA...that's .03 amps.  May not seem like alot, but it might just increase the charging system life by a small amout.  And with the amount of repairs i've had lately I don't need any more!!!   I didn't check on the price for the OE flasher, but the automotive one was only a couple of dollars.

<!--EDIT|boosz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118586854 -->

Oh..... Thanks for editing the title.... After I posted it I realized I should have named it a better way, but unfortunately memebers can't do that.

Making up LED's to go in the mirrors to replace the front signals... will post pics soon.

Back